Just passed PPL Written, 60 vs. 62 questions?

stevenhmiller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve's Archer
Everyone I've spoken to, my instructor included, states there are 60 questions on the FAA PPL written test. Today, I took that test and there were 62 questions! I answered all 62 questions. When I completed the exam, it told me I got 55 out of 60 correct, for a score of 92%.

Why did it tell me 55 out of 60, and not out of 62?
What happened to the other 2?
Did I really get 57 out of 62, or 55 out of 62, or what?

I don't know if it throws 2 questions out that are wrong, or throws 2 questions out that I got right, or what. :confused:

Totally confused on that. Well, at least I got a 92! :D

Seems like I heard the FAA can and will stick in some pilot questions, no pun intended. :) That way they can get feedback on how people answer the new questions, but they don't count against your exam.

Great score, by the way! Congrats!

The extra questions were validation questions. The FAA puts them on tests to see how people do on them, they want to make sure they aren't too easy or too hard before they add them to the master question list. Those questions aren't used in your score so you got 55 out of the 60 test questions, you may or may not have missed the validation questions.

What he said... \/

The extra questions were validation questions. The FAA puts them on tests to see how people do on them, they want to make sure they aren't too easy or too hard before they add them to the master question list. Those questions aren't used in your score so you got 55 out of the 60 test questions, you may or may not have missed the validation questions.

what he said /\

The proctor didn't tell you about the validation questions?
That seems unusual.

I had extras on mine too. Nobody said a word to me to exspect them.

The proctor didn't tell you about the validation questions?
That seems unusual.

Agreed. I was a Lasergrade proctor for 8 years up until 2012. One of the introductory screens prior to the test specifically mentioned that the test may contain additional questions and as proctors we were supposed to be sure the applicant taking the test was aware of that.

:dunno:

OP - Dude, chill!

:yeahthat:

When I took mine, There was a notice about this before the test started.

Man you guys are spoiled...... I had to fill in the bubble. Took longer to fill out the scantron than take the test. But that was 20 years ago too...

The extra questions have been around for years.

Back