Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Need help selecting:
Keeping pigs from tearing up lawn.
500', short weeds, not too damp.
Have AC nearby.
looking at Tractor Supply

No help on selection but a comment to increase effectiveness. Nearby AFB wild life control person says that some animals (deer) have hollow shaft hair. Don't know about hogs. This acts somewhat as insulation and limits effectiveness of electric fence. Periodic "training" by smearing peanut butter on the wire teaches the critters to respect the wire.

No help on selection but a comment to increase effectiveness. Nearby AFB wild life control person says that some animals (deer) have hollow shaft hair. Don't know about hogs. This acts somewhat as insulation and limits effectiveness of electric fence. Periodic "training" by smearing peanut butter on the wire teaches the critters to respect the wire.

But remember to turn it off before you do the smearing ....

:rolleyes2:

I have a portable electric bear fence. They work great if the soils provide a good ground. That would be a local issue to look into.

Hogs are about as difficult to keep contained as goats. Get the highest joules output you can buy with 1 joule being minimum. It can always be dialed down by adding additional grounds or other resistance features.
*Edit* With about 500' of fence, 1 joule should be plenty.

I keep bears out of my bees with this one...

Parmak RM-1 or Southern States 800-2. Same thing, just renamed for SS. Pricey but good quality and performance.

Put two 8' ground rods in for the charger and a third in 50' away for the lightning arrestor. Use 12-15.5 ga barbed wire. Mine runs around 15000-17,000 volts. It will burn off grass and weeds. It will jump across a 1/4-3/8" gap so use good insulators.

I think mine is 6.6+ joules. The more the better for deer and bear.

I have the Parmak with a digital readout, not sure of the model. Get AC model, you can put it inside of a outboard boat plastic battery box, cut a hole to see the indicators since they are recommended for interior mounting . It is over 10 jolues and will light your a-- up big time. It has kept the hogs out for about 3-4 years now. I only run it at night with a photoelectic switch. One wire about 6" and another about 14". Plenty of ground rods. I have two units for when one goes out and they do occasionally. Put the other one on and send the other to Parmak who has been excellent about repairing them and also with advice about problems that come up.
It keeps lots of pests out but the deer just jump the fence or dive through the wires hoping they won't get hit. Rabbits jump between the two hot wires. I like mine and it works well for what I want. I would really like to kill any hog that comes up to the wire, but I don't have enough years left to even make a dent in the population.
Dale

I taught my city cousin the way to tell if the fence was on or off was to pizz on it. He never did trust me after that.

PS it's not really pigs; javelinas. Sorta like pigs - definitely, in some of their behaviors. I am only doing about 500 feet of fenceline, not miles - so I don't think I need a billion joules.
I just want to send them packin', no need to immolate them. Besides, then I'd have all these dead bodies to deal with.
Got one at Tractor Supply today.

How many Joule would it take to turn one into fried bacon the moment it touches the fence ?

My father in law had one to keep in his hogs. It was only about 100 ft long, if that. The wire ran about a foot or a foot and a half off the ground - about hog nose height. It was very effective. The only problem with it was that it was right in the side yard - not a high traffic area, but you had to walk thru it from time to time. It was easy to trip and/or get shocked by the wire because it was so low to the ground.

Ok, it's up but no real indication that it works. Forgot to buy a tester.
Any way to test it, excluding biological testing?
Any MacGyvers out there?

Ok, it's up but no real indication that it works. Forgot to buy a tester.
Any way to test it, excluding biological testing?
Any MacGyvers out there?

Parmak has a volt meter built in.

Without a meter...

Wear boots or tennis shoes. Take a long piece of green grass and lay on it. Keep sliding it up until you feel a little tingle.

The other way is to put the high tension lead close to a grounded post. You should be able to jump 1/16" or it is not worth a nickle.

I test mine with a Radio Shack voltmeter I have had for years. Other than that, the spark-jump method is a good way. Just be sure the hand holding the grounding wire is insulated.

I have a standard vm, just figured it would be way over the measurable limit.
ie thousands of volts, no?

Back