mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
dumbbitch.jpg

http://community.livejournal.com/wtf_inc/4364210.html

On one hand, this is very disturbing. Crossing the street? I know from experience such as on a bike that it's easy for the "trailer" to go a different way then you want to go. I don't care how natural and maneuverable the Segway is.

On the other hand, if the Segway was a jet pack this is right out of the Jetsons. We live in The Jetsons.

Some of the comments are happy she's being eco-friendly by not driving. Seattle is almost a 'nother country.

Ghery, think this is a Microsoft employee?

Last edited:
And people wonder why Americans are overweight.

My thoughts exactly.

[thread hijack]

I sometimes do the grocery shopping, and last Sunday I decieded to do an informal correlation study as I shopped. Observe the shape/size/fitness of the person, and try to correlate with the food products I observed in that persons cart.

Very strong correlation.

Thats profiling Bill. That kinda study of yours wouldn't pass in todays society. I mean the TSA cant even get away with that much common sense.

I went and played around with one of them there Segways once, very cool device. What I am unsure of, is what burning question they answer. These suckers are costly.

From what I can tell around here, they are principally sold to wealthy college girls for entertaining use around the SMU campus.

Still, it might be fun to have one, but I still can't envision the use to which I could put it that would not be better accomplished by walking.

Which brings up my favorite WTF...

I can imagine the story behind this is, BTW. I'm guessing it's California because we don't have outside escalators where they could be snowed or rained on. The gym just happened to be a tenant...but those guys on the escalator are in gym clothes!

Attachments

• This%20must%20be%20America!.jpg
    This%20must%20be%20America!.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
BTW. It's California because we don't have outside escalators where it could be snowed or rained on. The gym just happened to be a tenant..

It rains in So Cal as well from the end of Nov thru mid Feb.

I can imagine the story behind this is, BTW. It's California because we don't have outside escalators where it could be snowed or rained on. The gym just happened to be a tenant..

I saw the same exact thing at the Riverwalk in New Orelans. I was standing around waiting on some friends and it had the same set up, but just a mall. NO ONE used the stairs!

At least the woman isn't using a cell phone!

Any building a few stories or less, I prefer the stairs as I can get up there a LOT faster than the dang elevators. But, they usually hide them on some other corner of the building.

One business complex has an escalator in an open plaza area. There's no stairs nearby. One out of three times I go there, the escalator is down and is more dangerous to walk down than normal steps.

dumbbitch.jpg

http://community.livejournal.com/wtf_inc/4364210.html

On one hand, this is very disturbing. Crossing the street? I know from experience such as on a bike that it's easy for the "trailer" to go a different way then you want to go. I don't care how natural and maneuverable the Segway is.

On the hand, if the Segway was a jet pack this is right out of the Jetsons. We live in The Jetsons.

Some of the comments are happy she's being eco-friendly by not driving. Seattle is almost a 'nother country.

Ghery, think this is a Microsoft employee?

First, you are absolutely correct about Seattle being another country. Only place worse around here is where I live, Olympia. Disneyland has a better grasp on reality.

My bet is she is married to a Microsoft employee. If she worked for them she wouldn't have time to take the baby anywhere. :D

I can imagine the story behind this is, BTW. I'm guessing it's California because we don't have outside escalators where it could be snowed or rained on. The gym just happened to be a tenant...but those guys on the escalator are in gym clothes!

I'm sure they must be going up the "down" escalator.:rolleyes:

I ran into a place in downtown Chicago while walking around one evening that rents Segways, but unfortunately I was there in the evening and they were already closed. But, next time I'm up there during the day, you better believe that I'm going to try my hand at one of those.

Ken,

That is exactly what I thought when I first saw these. I take great pride in using the stairs instead of escalators on those long, long flights in airports and train stations. Of course, now that I've had surgery on one knee, and the other is starting to act like it needs it.....

Judy

This is not a new phenomenon. Back in the mid-70's I worked in a building with a health club in the basement. When the parking lots got full, the Health Clubbers would park in the handicapped spots near the health club door rather than park on the perimeter. There was ample parking out there, [whine mode on!] but it is so far.... [/WM]

Back then I was in shape, too. I walked up the 10 stories to the office every day, and when that became easy, I walked up 20 and took the elevator back down to the office. I am certainly not near that condition now. :(

-Skip

I went and played around with one of them there Segways once, very cool device. What I am unsure of, is what burning question they answer. These suckers are costly.

From what I can tell around here, they are principally sold to wealthy college girls for entertaining use around the SMU campus.

Still, it might be fun to have one, but I still can't envision the use to which I could put it that would not be better accomplished by walking.
The college where I work has a couple for parking enforcement and the police to use. The parking enforcement makes a lot of sense, since it's a LARGE campus, and it's a lot faster!. The police, not so much so. Plus, the ones who always seem to be on the Segway are preciesely the ones who could stand to get some exercise!:rolleyes:

I've seen them inside the hangar with a couple planes these last few years.

I went and played around with one of them there Segways once, very cool device.
A few years ago I saw a couple guys buzzing around the FBO and ramp at Teterboro on Segways. They loaded them up in their Premier and off they went. Someone told me it was the guy who invented them.

Actually, come to think of it, I think it was at BWI that I saw airport cops buzzing around on them in the terminal.

Actually, it would be handy to have a couple of them little buggers around the Ames airport for fly-in weekends. :) Lance put some miles on his little electric scooter last October as we were tugging gliders around the airport.

I saw the same exact thing at the Riverwalk in New Orelans. I was standing around waiting on some friends and it had the same set up, but just a mall. NO ONE used the stairs!

Hi Danielle-

I think I know those escalators- right next to the convention center?

I've done many trade shows in New Orleans and after a long, hard, day of standing on your feet and being punctiliously polite to people that just wanted your giveaway, those escalators are really nice!

I'm sure they must be going up the "down" escalator.:rolleyes:

You know, it does look like they're walking up. You don't stand on the escalator stair with your foot bent like the lower guy. I also hold the rail. It does look like the upper guy is doing the escalator dismount, though.

I think you answered your own question :D :

I can imagine the story behind this is, BTW. I'm guessing it's California because we don't have outside escalators where they could be snowed or rained on. The gym just happened to be a tenant...but those guys on the escalator are in gym clothes!

Yeah, but they're handicapped...:rolleyes:

which is what the escalator is for.
see sign lower right....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, but they're handicapped...:rolleyes:

which is what the escalator is for.
see sign lower right....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think the sign is saying there's an elevator for the handicapped elsewhere. I don't think escalators are considered accessible. You can't ride on an escalator when you're in a wheelchair.

I think the sign is saying there's an elevator for the handicapped elsewhere. I don't think escalators are considered accessible. You can't ride on an escalator when you're in a wheelchair.

Ummm..... Well yeah! that's the point.:yes:

See the rolled eyes, in the original? >>> :rolleyes:

Cheers!

yeah, but they are going up the down escalator. :yes:

Back