DPE Dennis Einstein from Philly FSDO?

austin757

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
aj757
Hey all. I'm a CFI candidate who is just about ready to schedule my ride. My instructor says the only DPE who can give the ride is Dennis Einstein out of Wilmington. Has anyone used him before? I've heard the FSDO is extremely busy and that scheduling the ride can be a nightmare, so I'd like to stick with an examiner if I can. Thanks!

Not from your area,think you should ask for that info ,in a PM.

Weird when I look up flight instructor examiners at the Philly FSDO quite a few pop up. Could call another examiner if you want and ask. Heard good things about Joe Miller.

Hey all. I'm a CFI candidate who is just about ready to schedule my ride. My instructor says the only DPE who can give the ride is Dennis Einstein out of Wilmington. Has anyone used him before? I've heard the FSDO is extremely busy and that scheduling the ride can be a nightmare, so I'd like to stick with an examiner if I can. Thanks!

Had him on my ifr check ride

I'll pm you my phone number

Weird when I look up flight instructor examiners at the Philly FSDO quite a few pop up. Could call another examiner if you want and ask. Heard good things about Joe Miller.

I don't know anything about the Philly FSDO, but when I did my CFI stuff in Florida, you had to communicate with them. They either scheduled you with an FAA inspector or told you which DPE you would be using. There may only be 1 or 2 DPE's that can do a CFI

I don't know anything about the Philly FSDO, but when I did my CFI stuff in Florida, you had to communicate with them. They either scheduled you with an FAA inspector or told you which DPE you would be using. There may only be 1 or 2 DPE's that can do a CFI

It varies FSDO to FSDO. Some (if they are busy) will let you schedule with the DPE yourself. But yes, the DPE must be approved for CFI rides. Can't just use any DPE.

One of my school's instructors had to wait around 3 months just to take the checkride with the FAA guy. It's crazy. I was told that If I explain that I'm a full-time student with a limited schedule that they can make accommodations, such as being tested by a regular DPE. Not sure if this is true or not, but I cannot imagine waiting that long to get it done.

Weird when I look up flight instructor examiners at the Philly FSDO quite a few pop up.

I don't see that differentiating between those who can do initial CFI rides and those who can't...the former is usually a pretty short list.

Joe Miller lost his medical recently, so that's out of the question. He confirmed with me that Einstein is the only one that does Initial CFIs. I'm not sure, though, if the FSDO will want to do the checkride themselves.

Last edited:
Joe Miller lost his medical recently, so that's out of the question. He confirmed with me that Einstein is the only one that does Initial CFIs. I'm not sure, though, if the FSDO will want to do the checkride themselves.

I thought Tom Callahan also does exams in this area. He is based in NJ but I know he has done check rides at my airport (N57) which as you know is just north of KILG. Might want to check to see if he does CFI exams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It varies FSDO to FSDO. Some (if they are busy) will let you schedule with the DPE yourself. But yes, the DPE must be approved for CFI rides. Can't just use any DPE.

To go one further, not all examiners are qualified to give the initial CFI checkride. Some can give CFI add ons, such as the instrument or multi instructor ratings. Assuming the OP is looking for an initial he will have to seek one out that can do this if the FSDO doesn't assign an inspector or an examiner.

I was scheduled to be the local examiner's first initial CFI checkride (to qualify him to give initials) but it didn't work out. I ended up taking the ride with the only other examiner qualified to give initials in my area.

Last edited:
When I was going to do my initial at PHL FSDO, they first assigned Joe Miller. After wx and mx delays, they said I had to use an FAA examiner as they were not allowing DPEs to do the ride. This was in 2014 so maybe it changed.

Where are you doing your training?

I thought Tom Callahan also does exams in this area. He is based in NJ but I know he has done check rides at my airport (N57) which as you know is just north of KILG. Might want to check to see if he does CFI exams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have flown with Tom before and he is a good guy. He did my initial checkout for insurance in a mooney. Feel free to PM me.

Back