Yak Mods Underway

AcroGimp

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AcroGimp
So, making progress across several mods, couple teasers of the LED cockpit lighting once the sun started to go down and I closed the hangar doors.

20150928_183723_zpsav46dj83.jpg

20150928_183745_zpsrldizkuy.jpg

Smoke tank install ongoing, spinner back plate mounted but tough to secure, very little room for the lockwashers and nuts.

Having fun though.

'Gimp

Does it have the auto plug and harness mod? Just got it for the Nanchang. Nice quality stuff. http://www.yak-52.com/plug_conversion.htm Also do you have a mechanic that knows how to time the mags properly? They are few and far between. Don
Yes, autoplugs and harness, NAPA guy looked at me funny when I ordered 2 boxes of 10 plugs each....but easy to handle at $2.87/ea. Also has a sick stainless steel exhaust - just turned great compressions and valve lash checked during conditional - pretty decent shape.

My mechanic is pretty good with the Yak, been maintaining them for a few years now, plus Vlad Ystremski is only 20 miles away.

Spinner backplate is a new hell, really tough install for the last 3 nuts. :mad2:

'Gimp

I have a complete M14 toolkit. They are really hard to find but worth having. There are several specialized wrenches etc. in there that make things easy. I had to take everything down to the cylinders and case to detail my engine and there is no way to get some things off and on without the right tool. Have fun. Don

So, making progress across several mods, couple teasers of the LED cockpit lighting once the sun started to go down and I closed the hangar doors.

Smoke tank install ongoing, spinner back plate mounted but tough to secure, very little room for the lockwashers and nuts.

Having fun though.

'Gimp

Had the engine running in the dark with the leds on yet? I flew one with some sort of LEDs wired to an existing dimmer and it pulsed too much with an old generator. I didn't care for it but its not my airplane.

LEDs in general seem to be more sensitive to voltage changes. In the airplane mentioned above, you can set the lighting where you want it with engine RPM at 1800 or so and the interior lighting seemed to darn near go out when the RPM was reduced to idle.

I hope this doesn't happen to me with a glow strip, pulse width dimmer in an alternator powered 177 I'm working on.

Last edited:
Had the engine running in the dark with the leds on yet? I flew one with some sort of LEDs wired to an existing dimmer and it pulsed too much with an old generator. I didn't care for it but its not my airplane.

LEDs in general seem to be more sensitive to voltage changes. In the airplane mentioned above, you can set the lighting where you want it with engine RPM at 1800 or so and the interior lighting seemed to darn near go out when the RPM was reduced to idle.

I hope this doesn't happen to me with a glow strip, pulse width dimmer in an alternator powered 177 I'm working on.
Not yet. New PWM dimmer powered by a 24V-to-12V stepdown transformer, on all new wiring, so hoping not too much issue with wild frequency from the gennie but good point to check.

'Gimp

Not yet. New PWM dimmer powered by a 24V-to-12V stepdown transformer, on all new wiring, so hoping not too much issue with wild frequency from the gennie but good point to check.

'Gimp

Looks good BTW!

Wrapped up all the switch installs, harness installs and system checks. The Yak is now (pending Program Letter revision) Day/Night VFR.

Added dimmable LED Cockpit Lighting
20150929_182512_zps0vvnkmmr.jpg

New switch panel and harness for lights and dimmer
20151002_180748_zpslc2dkovn.jpg

And Aveo PowerBurst LED Wingtip Nav/Pos/Strobe combos
20151008_172255_zpszpwzwuti.jpg

20151008_172325_zpspjzvwzth.jpg

And LED Landing/Taxi Lights
20151007_180217_zpsjufjwr40.jpg

And spinner
20151007_130300_zpsyay2ciy7.jpg

Was a lot of work but really happy with how it turned out, even if it did take 2 weeks of afternoons to complete.

'Gimp

OMG the engine turns backwards!

Just noticed :rofl:

Back