C5 Galaxy

Talk about big,was a loadmaster on c130 and c135 aircraft . Was flying a 172 and was close up to a c5 could have landed on the wings.

One of my employees was a loadmaster on one (Air National Guard) and got me a flight in one for employers day. I was able to go in the cockpit, while they did a in air refueling. It was pretty cool.

Talk about big,was a loadmaster on c130 and c135 aircraft . Was flying a 172 and was close up to a c5 could have landed on the wings.

Didja see in the article where he talks about taking off in 1,500 feet at 90 kts?

Incredible to contemplate.

I have always been fascinated with this plane. My all time favorite. Grew up not too far from Dover.

Worked on them a looong time ago. Got to ride up front once. Got to fly the sim. Got to stick my head out of the top of the tail. Never got used to how big they are.

I was almost 4 when I watched the C-5's first flight from the East end of RWY 10 (?) at Dobbins AFB on June 30, 1968. Been watching 'em go overhead routinely since then. A friend who is a Lockheed test pilot tells tales of stalling the thing and that the pre-stall buffet sounds like an elephant stampede in the back of the airplane.

Did my ROTC field training at Dover and got a ride in a C-5. Awesome experience, such a monster of a plane. Hadn't realized there was airline type seating in the aircraft until they put our flight in it. It was a heck of a lot more comfortable then the cargo area seating in the C-130 we flew in.

Last edited:
Always seemed like we got a 50% on time mission rate when we got C-5 MAC lift...then again they always seemed to work when really needed...every time your around one you are just amazed how big they really are..

Great article; and that gear video 2/3 of the way down was AWESOME!

Last edited:
My wife and I were in Italy trying to get a SpaceA flight home and we were offered seats on a 757. The clerk also said there was a C-5 through Sigonela the next day and I opted for that so my wife would get the experience. She had a blast but the walk down the truck steps was a little scary for her.

Still get those occasionally here at work (LAX). I generally stop whatever I'm doing and go watch the takeoff. One of the more graceful aircraft I've ever seen.

Love to walk around in them whenever I see them at airshows. My boss was a C-5 pilot many years back and had some great stories.

Years ago I was Big Brother to a kid who I proceeded to 'infect' with our affliction. He just retired from the AF as a C5 Flight Engineer though he's still flying as much as ever in the reserves.

Took me on tour... Lots of capability and stories there.

As an amateur cook and food hound he's still ****ed about losing the convection oven, "you just can't do Thanksgiving turkey with a microwave". I guess they spend long hours in those things.

First one I ever saw, at the Pt. Mugu NAS air show in 1970, still in the original MAC paint scheme. Much nicer than the later camo.

PICT0267.JPG

First one I ever saw, at the Pt. Mugu NAS air show in 1970, still in the original MAC paint scheme. Much nicer than the later camo.

PICT0267.JPG
That is a great picture. I remember as a kid, maybe it was Travis AFB, that I saw an entire apron of those behemoth machines standing nose to tail and 5 rows wide on the flight line.

C5's at Dover. Always an impressive sight every time I fly overhead.

Attachments

• 100_1188.jpg
    100_1188.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 27
  • KGED 4.24.10 013.jpg
    KGED 4.24.10 013.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • KGED 4.24.10 024.jpg
    KGED 4.24.10 024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Is Boeing still building them at Long Beach? Last time I was there, there was a AN-124 on the ramp. It would have been nice to see them side by side.
Just proves that with enough thrust, even a brick will fly.

Is Boeing still building them at Long Beach? Last time I was there, there was a AN-124 on the ramp. It would have been nice to see them side by side.

Just proves that with enough thrust, even a brick will fly.

I believe so. The plant is still there and when I was at AirFlite in April there were at least two or three on the ramp. Either they are still in production, or the factory is doing service life upgrades.

I was in Da Nang the first time I ever saw one. "Aluminum Overcast" doesn't even come close to describing what it looked like to us.

Back