Socal BBQ flyins?

Blueangel

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Scott
So I am looking for SoCal flying events and have not seen much for San Diego, OC, and Los Angeles. My plane gets out of prebuy soon and it would be great to meet new pilots here in the area. Plus One does not have any unfortunately.

Yeah, that was one of my complaints about San Diego too.

You could try to go up to Flabob on a weekend. Also, if you get on the Planes of Fame email list, they frequently hold events on weekends.

You might post something on the Plus One forum and see if anyone wants to fly somewhere and camp. I have seen a few of those occasionally, usually at a place like Kern Valley (L05). There is a campground at the airport.

Yup I miss the frequent flying events that take place in Northern California maybe folks in San Diego are too busy? Thanks for the tip. I'll hop up to Flabob sometime and get on the mailing list. The shop has to fix a few squawks on the plane that were uncovered on the prebuy so will head up once the plane is ready.

Scott

The linked web site features a pretty conclusive list of regular events at SoCal airports. While the site is Ercoupe owners group, the events are open to all aircraft. You don't say the age of your Deb but it may qualify for the benefits of antique display.

http://www.calcoupers.org/events.htm

As far as BBQs, they are independent of any real organization. That is, it's something that a group of individuals will decide sans formal org. Get plugged in and take part.

Keep this post updated on what you find. Myself and a small group of others do friday night food flights out of KAJO(corona) every other friday. and make our way down to san diego a bit. MYF has some awesome mexican food. It seems hard to find people that want to go do that kind of thing.

I notice there is an error on the site I linked.

Brackett airfield identifier is POC not POM.
Also, while it may have changed, the display days at FUL and POC are not on the same day.

My favorite was L70 Agua Dulce but those days are gone thanks to a small handful of whiney neighbors. THAT was a BBQ!

I used to fly out of FUL. Didn't know they had display days.

From SD you'll need 3-4 hours each way but there is always something happening at Camarillo. That and Catalina are my favorite flights when I'm out in Cali

just found out L70 does a bbq once a month

My favorite was L70 Agua Dulce but those days are gone thanks to a small handful of whiney neighbors. THAT was a BBQ!

According to postings I see on the RV group, they have BBQs at Agua Dulce the last Sunday of the month, 1100-1400. The latest posting was yesterday for this weekend. Haven't been, can't give a pirep.

Edit: There's a schedule on their website, but no other information about the BBQ. http://www.l70airport.com/

Last edited:
Nice I will attend these once I feel better from flu that whacked me this week and have my plane ready to go. Had a pre buy disaster to walk away from and few more promising candidates.

Scott

wound up going to the bbq at L70 on sunday. Cool little airport, good food and very friendly people. I would deffinatley suggest going if you havent been!

Back