Deadly selfies

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
12 people died this year while taking selfies, 8 died from shark attacks.

Discovery needs "Selfie Week" next year.

I've been watching some videos on Periscope where the person is broadcasting and reading comments while driving. Nuts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be interesting to read some of the stories.

How the heck do you kill yourself taking a selfie?

Unfortunately the local news was referencing a report by some "official" source but I didn't catch what bureaucracy it was.

They continued with that local authorities closed Waterton Canyon State Park here in CO this year because morons were taking selfies with hungry bears.

(The newbie whiner patrol got spring bear hunts stopped here two years ago and now in a wet spring year, we have an overpopulation and they're all coming closer to town for the massive calorie intake they're starting to eat right now attempting to keep from starving to death this winter... I suspect the starvation photos directly *caused* by the "bear lovers" won't be shown on the nightly news later this winter and next spring.)

Unfortunately the local news was referencing a report by some "official" source but I didn't catch what bureaucracy it was.

They continued with that local authorities closed Waterton Canyon State Park here in CO this year because morons were taking selfies with hungry bears.

(The newbie whiner patrol got spring bear hunts stopped here two years ago and now in a wet spring year, we have an overpopulation and they're all coming closer to town for the massive calorie intake they're starting to eat right now attempting to keep from starving to death this winter... I suspect the starvation photos directly *caused* by the "bear lovers" won't be shown on the nightly news later this winter and next spring.)

If you sit next to a wild bear to snap a selfie, your high functioning retarded ass deserves to die. :rolleyes:

If you sit next to a wild bear to snap a selfie, your high functioning retarded ass deserves to die. :rolleyes:

LOL! No argument here, but our society apparently pays people to close mountain parks to keep the shallow end of the gene pool really shallow.

Great-grandpa's bearskin rug is still here in the house 100 or so years after he had to shoot it. Never got the story, but I'm sure he wasn't squeamish about it, if the bear was threatening family, livestock, or otherwise where it didn't belong.

And considering he was in the middle of frakking nowhere in South Dakota, and not near the Black Hills, it must have been a bad year for too many bears and not enough predators.

b4591b60b239094bf47acfff8cb380e2.jpg

I really should hang it back up on a wall, but there aren't any good walls for that in this house. It was much more at home in dad's cabin in South Park twenty years ago.

But it's a family heirloom and it'll stay here until a better place is found for it. Hanging on the rail.

A reminder of a simpler time, just like the original butter churn that made a lot of butter back then, and now serves as decorations, and a reminder of what the family went through to be here. The leather handmade jingle bells for the horse team that grandpa made are also around here somewhere, too.

Bears left alone rarely bother anyone. But their habitat was invaded by us and we therefore took on the responsibility of managing the population. Or let them starve.

People just don't get how much they have to eat to make it through a mountain winter, healthy. It's sad the city dwellers have lost all sense of their own responsibility in the matter. I don't see them trucking food up the hills to make sure the bears they didn't want hunted, under a system that was heavily regulated to make sure the population was sustainable on the land left, actually survive. Just knee-jerk "don't hurt the bears", until they're all over the news getting into backyards and garbage, foraging, and then the video in the spring of the dead bodies.

Anyway. Off topic but the sissies moving here are really making things difficult for folks who've been here a number of generations and are warning of exactly what's about to happen, because we've seen it before.

Idiots. And they're out taking selfies like they're at the zoo.

Falling of ledges, stepping backwards into traffic, lots of possibilities.

Anyway. Off topic but the sissies moving here are really making things difficult for folks who've been here a number of generations and are warning of exactly what's about to happen, because we've seen it before.

Idiots. And they're out taking selfies like they're at the zoo.
A friend of mine moved out of the city to the country, been there for 25 years, and started to complain about the urbanization. You know, sidewalks, street lights, grocery stores not 20 miles away, curbside trash pickup. ACK. Some people could ruin anything.
People act like selfies are a new thing. What's new is giving selfabsorbed dopes access to cheap still and video cameras and facebook so they can publicize their gross stupidity.

years ago I attended a safety seminar. A rep from the NTSB talked about how people videotaping their flights was an aid to the NTSB's accident investigations. However, there was no mention that the taping was a contributing factor.

Take a selfie in bed with your wife's sister. You'll be in a pine box before you know it. Even faster if it's her brother.

years ago I attended a safety seminar. A rep from the NTSB talked about how people videotaping their flights was an aid to the NTSB's accident investigations. However, there was no mention that the taping was a contributing factor.
Most of the folks that are taking video in flight have a fixed camera setup, so it's not like they are getting distracted screwing around with the camera in flight.

Now, if your camera falls off the selfie stick and FODs out your jet engine.....well, then that might just be a factor...

Most of the folks that are taking video in flight have a fixed camera setup, so it's not like they are getting distracted screwing around with the camera in flight.

Now, if your camera falls off the selfie stick and FODs out your jet engine.....well, then that might just be a factor...

Do you fly exactly the same way with a camera running as you do without? In my experience, a running camera is a surefire way to bounce a landing.

You can have "hey look at this" moments with a camera, too. You just can't ask it to hold your beer….

Do you fly exactly the same way with a camera running as you do without? In my experience, a running camera is a surefire way to bounce a landing.

You can have "hey look at this" moments with a camera, too. You just can't ask it to hold your beer….

I suppose that depends on the particular pilot.

I have not experienced the phenomenon that you describe.

A friend of mine moved out of the city to the country, been there for 25 years, and started to complain about the urbanization. You know, sidewalks, street lights, grocery stores not 20 miles away, curbside trash pickup. ACK. Some people could ruin anything.
People act like selfies are a new thing. What's new is giving selfabsorbed dopes access to cheap still and video cameras and facebook so they can publicize their gross stupidity.

I grew up in the sticks and still own the farm but we live in a one to two acre estate neighborhood near town with a convenience store just a short walk away.

I always tell people "everyone wants to live in the country until they live in the country."

Country life or I should say working a farm or ranch or even 40 acres is hard work. It's the realm of the young or youngish. When you get old, you will be moving to town closer to a doctor eventually. Usually when you and your spouse lose your driving privileges or you can't drive anymore, that's the end of country life.
:redface:

I grew up in the sticks and still own the farm but we live in a one to two acre estate neighborhood near town with a convenience store just a short walk away.

I always tell people "everyone wants to live in the country until they live in the country."

A great little sign my sister's in-laws had: "Farming looks like fun.... from the side of road."

Country life or I should say working a farm or ranch or even 40 acres is hard work. It's the realm of the young or youngish. When you get old, you will be moving to town closer to a doctor eventually. Usually when you and your spouse lose your driving privileges or you can't drive anymore, that's the end of country life.
:redface:

Although I grew up on the very edge of suburbia, similar to where I live now, this is also the way I see it. No way do I want to "retire" here. I'm going to the city where there is public transportation, taxis, Uber, etc. I went through a two-week period when I was not allowed to drive and that opened my eyes to the inconvenience of living out here, unable to go anywhere without calling in a favor. The nearest store of any kind is about five miles away.

Back