9/11

I was driving to work listening to a new Jimmy Buffett CD when the clock showed 8am. I turned on the local news station and heard something about a small plane hitting a skyscraper in NYC.

I immediately pictured a low overcast day and a light plane bouncing off a building in the clouds.

I got to work about five minutes latter and everyone was gathered a TV in our conference room. I saw the picture of the WTC in flames and my first thought was 'it's clear day....WTF'.

Here's a good video on how the military reacted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Tj4XN6U_w

My neighbor was in a meeting in NJ that morning. He said they could see the skyline of NYC from the conference room they were in. During their meeting, cell phones started ringing and people started looking out the window. He said they watched it all from that room. Then he rented a car and drove back to Kansas City.

--

By the way - tonight on ESPN2 they have a new episode of 30 for 30 (for those unfamiliar, that's a documentary series they started years ago on their 30th anniversary. It was so popular, they kept making them.) This one focuses on game 3 of the 2001 World Series, the first WS game in Yankee stadium that season. The fires were still burning at the WTC site. This was the game were the President threw out the first pitch, a strike.

It looks like they released it online already:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13617860

Where were you and what where you doing 14 years ago today?

I was starting my day as usual and working on a house for my daughter and son in law to move into. She was pregnant with their first child, our first grandchild. Needless to say the day turned into a nightmare.

Local gas stations raised their prices gouging customers. People horded food and fuel.

9/11 was the reason I learned how to fly. It was on my bucket list of things go do. The poor bastards in the twin towers didn't get to finish their bucket lists. So somehow I felt obligated to finish mine in their honor.

The "New Normal" as we call it kinda sucks, but with radical Islamic *******s wanting to kill us it is what we have to do.

Why do you refer to a rise in prices as "gouging"? The prices rose in response to a dramatic increase in demand due to panic.

The rise in price is the markets way of rationing. Would it be better that the shelves are picked clean on the basis of who could get there first?

You said people were hoarding. A rise in price would help reduce this behavior .

The best way to create a shortage is to accuse people of gouging and slapping a price lid on the product.

Last edited:
Why do you refer to a rise in prices as "gouging"? The prices rose in response to a dramatic increase in demand due to panic.

The rise in price is the markets way of rationing. Would it be better that the shelves are picked clean on the basis of who could get there first?

You said people were hoarding. A rise in price would help reduce this behavior .

The best way to create a shortage is to accuse people of gouging and slapping a price lid on the product.
Excellent post.

It's gouging because their cost didn't go up at all. There was no increase in demand. The demand was exactly the same as it was over the previous month.

I would wager that the gasoline purchases made during September 2001 were what they would have been had the WTC event never happened. I bet looking at August and October and September 2000/2002, you wouldn't know anything happened looking at the usages.

I was on my way to the airport to catch a ride up to KLAL and get a demo flight in a Europa XS Aircraft. Made it as far as the airport bar when I realized I wasn't going anywhere ......for awhile.

It's gouging because their cost didn't go up at all. There was no increase in demand. The demand was exactly the same as it was over the previous month.

I would wager that the gasoline purchases made during September 2001 were what they would have been had the WTC event never happened. I bet looking at August and October and September 2000/2002, you wouldn't know anything happened looking at the usages.

I didn't see price rises or panic buying and hoarding where I live. But Geico said people ( where he lives I presume) were hoarding gasoline and food and that fuel merchants were "gouging"customers.

I was in front of a TV eating a Kid's Cuisine microwave dinner in Kitzingen, Germany on the small base there (I was 10-11 at the time). I saw the tower smoking and thought there was some kind of fire and that it was weird, and then watching another plane hit the other tower live. I pointed out to my dad who missed it and told him what happened and he said that someone just messed with the wrong country. And then they fell. :(

The barber was just outside the gate to the base and overnight it went from pretty relaxed to get on and off to spotlights, dogs, rifles, mirrors, lockdowns, everything. The part where my then-mom was got locked down for 2 or 3 days. It was almost surreal.

My story is kind of crazy. I was teaching a training class. Class started at 8 or 9 AM, can’t remember which, but when we walked into the classroom, either nothing had happened yet, or we didn’t know about it.

Taught the class for about two hours, then we took a break. I came out of the classroom than most of the rest of the people in my company were sitting in the “all hands area” which is a big common room, and they were watching television. I asked one of my co-workers what was going on, and he told me that both WTC towers had been hit by aircraft, and one had already collapsed. While we were out there on break the second tower collapsed.

Eventually, we went back in the classroom., and I started to teach again. By lunchtime, more info was coming in and we learned about the other planes, and about that time, or maybe a bit later, word was staring to come in that it was an attack by Muslim extremists.

All of my students were Muslims – Algerian Air Force personnel, and none spoke English. They had an interpreter that traveled with them.

As the day progressed, I felt I had to tell them that they should stay in their hotel rooms that night. They all looked Arabic, and a small town in rural Ohio was probably not going to be the best place for them that night. I told their interpreter my concerns, and she agreed. They were very nice guys, understood my concern, and thanked me for it.

They were there in my class for the next two days, and then they were stuck. The airlines weren’t flying, and they had some more training scheduled in Baltimore, MD following my class, but they couldn’t get there. As I recall, they were stuck in Piqua, Ohio - sitting in their hotel - for two or three days until their guide could round up a large passenger van to drive them all to Baltimore.

I was sitting in 7th grade history class. Another teacher walked in and told the teacher what happened. They turned on the TV and we watched it for about 30 seconds at which point the history teacher determined we were better off studying whatever it was instead of that.

The next class, the teacher just turned on the TV, and the entire class sat there and watched in silence. I skipped lunch and whatever the next class was to watch.

I remember walking home afterwords trying to process it and noticed how beautiful of a day it was and how there wasn't a cloud in the sky. The sky was such a beautiful blue.

Ever since that day if I look up and see a beautful blue sky I immediately think of Sept 11th.

Last edited:
We were in the air on a reposition leg from KAPA (Centennial) to KSUN (Sun Valley). We were supposed to be taking some passengers to Florida. But when we were about 30 minutes out of KSUN the controller told us that we would not be able to take off again because there was a ground stop for the entire country. We didn't know what was going on until we landed and the line guys surrounded the airplane and told us what happened.

I have watched the YouTube video of the flight tracking display where all the airplanes are shown landing. Sometimes I think I can see our blip. Not many airplanes in central Idaho at that hour of the morning.

I was sitting in 7th grade history class.
Oh my. I feel old. I work at the same place now as then. I thought about it last night (actually that was early this morning) when I filled out the flight log with today's date while sitting on the ramp at Teterboro.

At home (west coast) getting ready for work, got a call from a friend near DC (Arlington, VA) telling me the first WTC was hit. Turned on the TV and saw the 2nd plane hit "live". Talked with my friend for a few minutes, then hung up to call my parents in NJ. A few minutes later, she calls back, Pentagon had just been hit across the street from her apartment.

My Dad, who worked in WTC 2 from the late 60's to early 80's (I used to visit his office regularly as a kid), was working a construction site in Jersey City, and watched the towers he worked in fall.

It was a bad, bad day. Six people from my small hometown in NJ were killed in the towers.

We Americans fight each other all the time, for political, religious, and just general cultural reasons but when you threaten us and we band together on something... look out cause we're an unstoppable force. There is no reason to fear.
A friend of mine is a singer and songwriter whose folk group in 1962 had a Grammy-winning album that featured an upbeat version of Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is Your Land." After 9/11 he wrote a song called "Just Americans", that he and his group performed on a 2002 PBS special:

BTW, the bald-headed fellow with the gravelly voice is Barry ("Eve of Destruction") McGuire.

Last edited:
Oh my. I feel old. I work at the same place now as then. I thought about it last night (actually that was early this morning) when I filled out the flight log with today's date while sitting on the ramp at Teterboro.
This will make your feel older.

I was in kindergarten when the principle came on and announced that the towers had been hit. I remember getting home and watching the footage of the plane hit over and over again.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Bryan and I were in our apartment that morning. I was getting ready to go to work at my dad's, he was getting ready for a job interview. Bryan's dad called, and I knew right away something bad had happened. My first thought was his grandfather had died. But then he told me to turn on the TV.

We watched for a while, watching the buildings come down. I couldn't take it all in. Then he went to his interview, and I went to my dad's office. I remember how surreal things felt, and how, more than once, I looked up at the sky feeling like things to literally fall down on top of me. The world felt different, and I didn't know how to react to it. Seeing the photos of the buildings and planes brings it all back -I can describe so much about that day.

Bryan's grandfather is still alive 14 years later, by the way, so I was way off on that one.

What I wish we'd done in reaction to 9/11 was instead of illegal wiretapping and extra security and national paranoia, we'd just continued on with business as usual... and put up posters everywhere especially in airports with pictures of people from that flight and the slogan "We're onto you now, you won't be hijacking another plane."

Word!!

IIRC Bush said something to the effect that the best way to defeat these guys was to continue living as we were. Unfortunately, that isn't what happened.

at home because of a severe headcold.

We have something in common on that day, Bob. I'm rarely ill, but I was down for the count with a severe cold and fever that morning. Called the boss around 6 and went back to bed.

Karen was working at a dialysis clinic at the time on the 04:30 shift. Every chair in the place has a TV and it's packed every morning with folks who need dialysis to live "normal" lives, cleaning their blood for the next day or three, before work.

She rang the home phone and told me to turn on the TV and that some plane appeared to have hit one of the towers. Maybe a Cessna.

I flipped on the TV and said, that wasn't any Cessna that did that. Told her I had it on and would talk later. Headache was killing me. A few minutes later, the first tower fell.

I no longer felt so bad about having a head cold. I knew I had just watched a bunch of people die.

I was the Sr. Ops Engineer for a small company that had grown from one tiny data center to 18 worldwide in a year and a half. Employee #42 for the Hitchhikers fans in the assembled crowd.

There were about 600 of us there.

The dot com bubble was about to burst but we didn't know it quite yet. The Red Herring was printed, the road show was booked, and we were all going to make some real money for all those 70+ hour weeks. Going public, bay-bee.

We watched that day, and all the days of the never ending coverage from every source for months. Why?

October we had our first real vacation in years booked. We went to Cozumel. We met all sorts of people and everyone had a clarity and a realness I haven't seen since. Everyone talked. Everyone listened. Everyone was American.

Nobody was perennially "offended" or taking stupid political sides. We all wanted one thing... Justice for the dead.

In early November, the company announced layoffs. 450 people got our walking papers, me included. Well at least I got that vacation in.

They limped along for years and eventually the owners sold to SunGard. They walked with $3M each. They started another data center company.

We had just bought our second home, the first that wasn't a condo or apartment, in August.

I struggled to find a job for many many months.

Funny thing months later: Apparently a website called f___edcompany.com was a "thing" after all the dot bombs crashed and people spent a lot of time on there bitching about their former employers. At one point I got a phone call from a friend: "Oh my god! Was that you on FC, dude?!"

Hmm. Ummm. What is this FC? I learned. I logged in anonymously and read the stories. I laughed. Nope. Wasn't me. But yeah, I remember all of that ****. I don't have any reason to air all that dirty laundry or burn any bridges in this biz. I suspect that post is from, X. He knew all that stuff too and he's still really angry, but I don't know. I haven't kept in touch with him.

Didn't work for 11 months. It was surreal.

I have a work ethic and it messed with my head. Did a lot of volunteering but it doesn't pay the bills. Whether smart or not, I never took a dime of unemployment. Tightened the belt and things got pretty nerve wracking fiscally, but spent from savings when we had to. Spent way too much time in a bathrobe and watching TV.

Maybe I needed it after about killing myself for a startup that self-destructed overnight.

Eventually a friend called and said it wasn't great but they could use a sysadmin part-time. Went. Worked.

Worked my way back to senior positions at various places, and back into and out again from the black hole the sucks everyone back, telecom.

Got my Extra Class ham license out of sheer boredom during the time off.

Had a good friend who worked at the debris pile three days after the towers fell. He still has his boots from that day.

But hey. I got a year off work and we all got DHS and TSA from the deal. Just spiffy.

Decided I was glad we had decided to be debt free other than the mortgage back then, and decided this next go around we'd make sure debt free meant the mortgage too.

Got it done. Bought into an airplane. Got back to flying. Still work too much for people that really don't deserve it. Should stop doing that one of these days. Kinda like the paycheck paying for the airplane.

Bought a hangar. Putting up a 60' ham tower this year.

Dad passed a few years ago. He mineswept the Suez Canal in the early 70s. Nothing changes in that hell hole region of the planet.

The country is already back to Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders horse crap and the 11th isn't even over yet here.

Maybe go flying this weekend.

I had been working in NYC for 12 years in 2001. I was taking the bus from Staten Island to my stop, the WTC, around 9:00 a.m., to walk a few blocks to my office. So I would have been at ground zero, but three months earlier, I had taken a job in New Orleans. On 9/11, my wife was in NYC wrapping up some business there, on the subway bound for the WTC (4-5-6 line). My brother was in D.C. giving a speech. I was out of communication with both of them for quite a while, not sure whether they had been harmed. Turned out both were OK. I was in the car driving to work when the news broke. I pulled into the parking lot of a grocery store to try to call my peeps. Unsuccessful, I went on to work (my brother worked there too) to see if there was any news on him. We were all glued to the TV. Like so many others, I'll never forget that day.

Last edited:
I was in the Air Force and asleep in as it was still early morning in Hawaii. A coworker called and told me to turn on the TV (a friend in NYC had called him). I dressed and went to the office. I lived on base, four blocks from work. Everyone else in my work center lived off base and it it took them 1+ hours to get on base due to the increased security. About 0700, I and seven or eight others met with the PACAF Director of Operations. He brief us on what was going on and what he wanted us to do. I worked until 0200 on the 12th (and returned 5 hours later).

I was getting a ride on USS SHAMAL from Little Creek up to meet my ship (USS DONALD COOK DDG-75) at the Yorktown weapon station when the first plane hit. Heard the news as soon as we tied up.

Two hours later we were underway doing Flank speed, heading out to sea for what ended up being 2 weeks as a mobile offshore radar station. I only had 3 sets of skivvies with me....that was interesting. So was staring a a radar screen of the eastern seaboard and not seeing anything in the air except the Air Force guys flying around DC.

Like several of you, I got a call from my wife about the first one and turned on the TV at my office at the State Department in DC thinking that a Cessna hit the WTC. I also watched the second one live and at that point realized what this was, which I expressed to my wife on the phone in some rather vivid language. Our office then started preparing to evacuate. Unfortunately, CNN was reporting (incorrectly) that a bomb had gone off at State, which scared my wife. Also about that time the Pentagon was hit, so since many of us had family and friends there we were scrambling to find out their condition. Finally, we were ordered out of the building so I made my way up to my wife's office near the White House. It was a surreal scene -- thousands of people in the streets, clear day, smoke in the air from across the river. Spend the rest of the day at her office, then took the train home that night. Moved at 10mph the whole way (afraid of bombs on the tracks), went past the Pentagon, which was still burning. Sad, sad day. Got up next morning and reported back to work.

Last edited:
I was in 9th grade English class 20 miles north of Manhattan when there was an announcement over the PA that there had been a terrorist attack in NYC involving airplanes flying into the WTC. They asked that anyone with family that worked in or near the WTC report to the music room where they would be given an opportunity to make phone calls. A couple students got up and left the room.

I was 8 years old so second grade? third grade? I don't really remember much but a lot of my friends were taken out of school for some reason.

I had been up the evening before maintaining night currency. I heard about the first plane on the radio while driving into work. We didn't get much done during the day while watching the news on the internet.

I didn't realize just how much noise airliners make at 20,000 feet overhead on their way into SEA until there weren't any. That was QUIET.

I don't particularly like to talk about it much, but I was roughly a mile or so away, across the river in Jersey City. It was a clusterfk. Saw the 2nd plane hit, it was a fireball I'll never ever forget.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• wtc06.jpg
    wtc06.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 120
  • wtc13.jpg
    wtc13.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 121
As a general contractor I was building a house for my attorney, who was also a federal judge in this area... As I left my house at 6 am or so I was turning off the TV and saw the first plane hit.. My thought was , What idiot would hit a huge building on a clear VFR day... I assumed it was a small GA plane...

My jobsite was 70 miles away and out of range of any radio or tv coverage, but directly under a major airway leading to SLC... About mid morning I had a passing thought on why I didn't hear any planes flying over or see any con trails as it was a clear day here... I had the roof on and since it was a log structure I spent the day with a chain saw cutting out the rough opening for the windows..

Around mid afternoon the owner /lawyer /judge arrived and told us the bad news and realized his family needed a safe place to stay... I worked till late getting the bucks in plane in the rough openings and installed most of the windows to get it basically weathertight... Drove back home ( 1.5 hour trip), hopped in the hot tub, turned on the TV and saw for the first time what actually happened.... HOLY Siht...:eek::eek::yikes:..

Keep in mind the VP lives about 3 miles from me and it was then I realized he must be back home ( or at least headed this way) since fighter jets were orbiting over the valley and my house at around 20,000 or so.... I don't know if they refueled in flight or had waves of fighters cycling through from Hill AFB in SLC.. But they were there for days..

To make it even stranger,, my wife and I had reservations for an Alaska trip and we were scheduled to fly out to Seattle that weekend to board the ship.. We actually were on the first commercial plane out of KJAC after this airspace re-opened.... Got to the Carnival ship and because of the turmoil most passengers didn't make the ships departure so the ship was 1/4 full, at most... Since that was the last Alaska trip of the year and the ship was re-positioning for the winter season, they needed to use up all the food, they literally fed us ever hour.....

It was a day / week I will NEVER forget...

God speed to all who were killed...:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Last edited:
For several days in September 2001 we had spectacular weather in the Northwest. Over the weekend of Sept. 8-9, Mrs. P and I took our Grumman Cheetah to an AYA regional fly-in at Oliver, B.C. On Sunday the 9th we flew via Vernon, Kamloops and Hope to Victoria, B.C., for lunch with a friend, then on to Boeing Field, Seattle, for a quick, casual visit with a Customs officer, and then home. It was a gorgeous, memorable day to enjoy the freedom of flying.

Two days later the world changed forever.

My first flight after that was on September 19, when still only IFR operations were permitted. It was another beautiful day flying to the central Oregon coast, but on an IFR flight plan nevertheless, and with the radio eerily silent. The purpose of the trip was to meet with a client who had been injured in a four-car pileup on I-5 in southwest Washington, that had happened on the afternoon of 9/11. One of the vehicles in that crash was a rental car being driven by a San Francisco resident -- his only way to get home from Seattle after flights were grounded.

This is the first time I've been able to tell the story of that day. I guess that 14 years is long enough to not heal, but to be able to face the memories.

I was working in Manhattan, in a building that sits above the north end of Grand Central terminal. I had two work locations on the 44th floor. One was a cubicle, in the middle of a cubicle farm. The other was a former conference room where eight contractors from India and other foreign locales had desks. They had floor to ceiling windows that looked out on a magnificent view of Manhattan from Grand Central to the lower tip of Wall Street. September 11 was a beautiful day -- warm, clear, and sunny. I had a desk and computer in there, too. I kept a radio playing NPR in my cubicle. The volume stays low enough that nobody else can hear it, but it keeps me company during the day while I'm working. I was working in my cubicle when there was a report on the radio that a small airplane had flown into the World Trade Center. My thought was that some fool got confused and forgot to fly the airplane. I was supremely confident in my own ability at the time because tomorrow I would be taking my own long-delayed checkride for Private Pilot, so naturally, I knew all about how to fly safely. A few minutes later, I was in the big room for some unrelated reason when someone came in to ask whether we could see the World Trade Center from there. As a matter of fact, there are two other very tall buildings just south of our building that blocked our view of the World Trade Center. The old Pan Am building, which had been renamed for MetLife, and the old New York Central building, which I never really remembered its newer name. He told us that the WTC was on fire from the impact. Sure enough, we could see the start of smoke along the shoreline moving toward New Jersey. I returned to my cubicle to monitor the radio more closely. At some point we learned that the plane was thought to be a twin-engine jet. Smugly, I discarded that idea as ridiculous.

A second airplane hit the other WTC tower. I walked into the larger room and told my crew about it. "We are at war," I stated, matter-of-factly. The Indians were stunned. How could such a thing be true? I told them that one plane could be an accident, but two had to be an attack and the US would never just let it go. How right I was. I continued to shuttle between the larger room and my cubicle, getting work done. I don't remember what we were doing that day, but we felt that it was something important. Then, my radio reception abruptly ended. I tuned around the dial trying to get a news station to come in, but none of the regular stations seemed to be on the air. Finally, a Spanish-language station came on. They were broadcasting in accented English, very low-power and scratchy but they were the only one I could find that had a signal at all. As I tuned them in, they were stating that one of the towers had collapsed. Eventually, I would learn that it was the tower with all the radio antennae -- except for the radio stations that couldn't afford it. Work stopped.

I was working at our headquarters building, but we had recently purchased our competitor and their headquarters building was down in the financial district. I had been involved in preparing and testing disaster recovery for both buildings. Obviously, this was a disaster, so I contacted my counterpart in the other building, which was not very far from the WTC at all. Tons of batteries had kicked in, keeping all their computer systems and the building operational until the diesel-fired generators took over the job -- just as we knew they would. We started discussions to get people moved into my large room. It would be my problem to find someplace for the guys already in the room. I told my guys to pack it in for the day and to clear out anything personal that they would miss if they couldn't get to it for another month. Meantime, plans were started to move operations from the Wall Street location to the offsite location in upstate.

It was still morning. At lunch time I walked outside and looked up at the beautiful sky. Sirens from fire trucks and ambulances filled the air, wailing their way south in wave after wave. Eerily, already there was only foot traffic on Park Avenue. Our American flag and company flag waved happily in a breeze. I re-entered the building, up the security guard and told her that the flags should be lowered to half-staff. Outside again, a family in Muslim garb, probably tourists, ran and chattered and laughed their way along the avenue. I wanted to tell them to stop laughing. It wasn't the right day for laughing, but I left them alone. They would learn soon enough. Military jets flew low and fast up Park Avenue in a fiercely noisy show of protection or bravado. Momentarily, it drowned out the sirens I was choking on. Some city official announced that the subways and trains were being shut down. Suddenly, I visualized 10 million workers trapped in Manhattan with no way to go home. I'd been on Manhattan in 1965 when the first great blackout occurred. I'd walked from Fifth Avenue to Queens that night along with millions of others and I was sure that the same thing was about to happen again. I hurried back to the building, noting that our flags had been lowered and asked the head of security whether they were making arrangements or if they had any arrangements for the workers in the building to sleep over. Shocked, he said "No, we're making plans to evacuate the building. We're a target." I thought about that. I'd flown down the Hudson corridor trying to make out our building from the surrounding towers and I knew he was mistaken. But there was no reason to argue. Fortunately, the mayor countered the order to shut down the subways and trains, so the problem was averted. We all got home that night and we all returned the next day.

Jack-booted soldiers with huge rifles at the ready invaded the subway, Grand Central, street corners. Our beautiful city was an armed camp. My fire-fighter friends volunteered to work "the pile" day after day. The Red Cross asked for blood donations. Volunteers arrived from all around the country with their fire trucks and ambulances. The ambulances returned empty. There were never any victims to save. One of the Indians in the larger room photo-copied a photograph of the towers and taped it to the window where we would have seen them if they were there and the other two buildings were not. People got shifted around and I was sent to work in a Wall Street office, where I walked nearby every day. We breathed acrid, smoky air until after Christmas. It would be months before I took that check ride. My plane was grounded and couldn't be retrieved until we found an instrument rated pilot to fly it out and another airport with a space where it could be parked. Family visited New York a couple of years ago and I took them down to the new WTC memorial. I couldn't go in. I can't. Seeing me sitting, facing away, waiting for my family to return, a peanut vendor told me that he sees many of us doing the same thing. I can't handle sirens in the City. Three thousand people fell to their death or burned to death that day. The ambulances returned empty.

Last edited:
I was sitting in 7th grade history class.

I was in 8th grade. My teacher grabbed myself and another classmate after hearing the news and we went down the hall and got a portable TV on a roller cart and wheeled that thing into the classroom.

We tuned in a few minutes before the 2nd plane hit. We had 6th and 7th grade kids in the classroom (montessori school) and I remember thinking that I needed to just be cool and set a good example for the younger kids.

Originally Posted by cowman
We Americans fight each other all the time, for political, religious, and just general cultural reasons but when you threaten us and we band together on something... look out cause we're an unstoppable force. There is no reason to fear.

Now that would have made sense, sure

But

Where's the money in that?

Back