See ya Jeff Smisek

That they hired a former railroad exec to to replace him isn't what I would consider a good sign. :lol:

Smisek was actually a carryover from Continental, Munoz is just an interim appointment from the board. I'm sure they can find someone much, much worse :rolleyes2:

Frank Lorenzo is still kicking at 75. He's got experience "managing" Continental.

All I could think of is that the entire United fleet has to immediately replace their safety briefing videos that begin with, "Hi, I'm Jeff Smisek...."

I have to wonder what he gets from his golden parachute for screwing up.

he gets 4.81 million for getting fired....He may go down as the worst CEO since Lorenzo...the market dynamics have never been more in favor of airlines in the common era and UAL couldn't have ****ed it up more. They will need to totally rebrand and be willing to spend the money (like all of it) to compete from a customer service standpoint.

Carl Icahn's still kicking the can down the road.

I am not sure if I can remember very many former airline CEOs from the past 25 years that the average person recalls fondly.

I am not sure if I can remember very many former airline CEOs from the past 25 years that the average person recalls fondly.
I'm not sure that the "average person" recalls any airline CEOs, although they recall airlines with which they have had bad experiences.

They should dust off Gordon Bethune and bring him back. When asked about this once Gordon described being an airline CEO as like "juggling chainsaws". "If you can do it and not lose a limb you never want to do it again" !

I'm not sure that the "average person" recalls any airline CEOs, although they recall airlines with which they have had bad experiences.

I remember Bob Six (Continental). He understood airlines.

What many people don't know, or don't remember, is that Boeing originally made airplanes and flew them as an airline. Then the Feds got involved and considered it too much of a monopoly (and other issues), so back in the 30's the airline part was divested - into United Airlines. And other things.

I had the Boeing chip inserted into my brain many years ago...

He get's five million, the company car, health insurance, and other company perks stay in place.

I wish I could get fired from a job like that. :lol:

I have fond memories of Marty Shugrue. Patron saint of lost causes.

As somebody on Flyertalk posted, "That's a change I will like!"

Good riddance to bad rubbish. I won't miss SMI/J at all. I hope the new CEO is more customer focused, especially those of us who ride that airline a bunch.

Well, if we're to believe the rhetoric that Emirates and Qatar is throwing out all we need is to hire one of their CEO's and then we'll be able to run A380s half full all over the world with twice the cabin staff. They'll just work their special magic I guess ......yeah, right.

Re: See ya Jeff Smisek CEO United Airlines

It simply amazes me how poorly run United is compared to Delta. As they say, Delta makes a boatload of money because of how they're run. United makes money in spite of the way they're run.

Pull up to a Delta gate: three rampers are standing ready to marshall you in.
Pull up to a United gate: wait. Call Op's. Wait. Wait some more. Eventually rampers will trickle out.

Delta gate agents: fun, happy, positive helpful people
United gate agents: best to not talk to them. They hate their lives. (Or so it seems.)

I could go on...

And then we have AA, which flew a NON-ETOPS A321 to Hawaii last week by "mistake". Had to ferry it back empty. Oops.

He get's five million, the company car, health insurance, and other company perks stay in place.

I wish I could get fired from a job like that. :lol:

You can. Just negotiate it into your contract.

While not as big of a payoff, A few times I have negotiated a pay bonus for getting fired. I always try to negotiate something when being hired. It is usually hiring bonuses to be paid after I pass the checkride.

Re: See ya Jeff Smisek CEO United Airlines

It simply amazes me how poorly run United is compared to Delta. As they say, Delta makes a boatload of money because of how they're run. United makes money in spite of the way they're run.

Pull up to a Delta gate: three rampers are standing ready to marshall you in.
Pull up to a United gate: wait. Call Op's. Wait. Wait some more. Eventually rampers will trickle out.

Delta gate agents: fun, happy, positive helpful people
United gate agents: best to not talk to them. They hate their lives. (Or so it seems.)

I could go on...

Let's not forget the seating on United. I quit flying United after my last two flghts across the pacific. First one was in the back where I chewed on my knee caps the whole way, second one was business class where I kept sliding down into the footwell because the seats lay down at a 15° angle.

Back