Liberty University in Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.
big·ot·ry
ˈbiɡətrē/
noun
intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.
"the difficulties of combating prejudice and bigotry"

intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.
"the difficulties of combating prejudice and bigotry"

...are mostly based in ignorance. Kinda ironic given the topic of this thread, isn't it?

Bigotry, intolerance and hate are largely the result of ignorance.
Can I be any clearer?

Some have analyzed all available information and come to a different conclusion than you, that does not make them intolerant hateful bigots. :rolleyes:

The real bigots here are those who cannot possibly fathom why someone might have a negative opinion of Liberty University other than they must be bigots. It's a fallacy of circular reasoning.

If you are in business long enough, you develop skills that serve you well. Reading resumes and finding candidates are a couple of those skills. I am comfortable with the level of ability I have in sorting resumes and hiring candidates.

Then you have time to achieve said skills, hang in there!

The way the word "bigot" is tossed out like candy is disgusting. Is Forbes bigoted because they gave Liberty a ranking of 639 out of 650? Notre Dame is #17. UVA #36.
Bigoted? No proof either way. But, without understanding the methodology for the ranking the result holds no value.

Can I be any clearer?

Ah, understood. So when posters in this thread dismiss Liberty simply because it is a Christian university without any further knowledge of the school itself, or imply that anyone who wants an education in STEM shouldn't dare go to Liberty because a Christian-based university can't possibly adequately teach science, technology, engineering or math, they are simply ignorant. I think we agree!

Ah, understood. So when posters in this thread dismiss Liberty simply because it is a Christian university without any further knowledge of the school itself, or imply that anyone who wants an education in STEM shouldn't dare go to Liberty because a Christian-based university can't possibly adequately teach science, technology, engineering or math, they are simply ignorant. I think we agree!

I don't think most of the people dismissing Liberty are doing so only because it's a "Christian" university. Most, as far as I can tell, are doing it because they are in fact familiar with its reputation for being run by "wackos" (not my words, though I can't say I disagree), for having oppressive policies directly contrary to its "Liberty" name, for having generally poor academic ratings/reputation, and for its abysmal graduation rates. Those who seem to support Liberty are doing so based on anecdotal evidence (I once met a Liberty grad who was smart...) and an apparent belief that Liberty can do no wrong because it's "Christian."

I don't think most of the people dismissing Liberty are doing so only because it's a "Christian" university. Most, as far as I can tell, are doing it because they are in fact familiar with its reputation for being run by "wackos" (not my words, though I can't say I disagree), for having oppressive policies directly contrary to its "Liberty" name, for having generally poor academic ratings/reputation, and for its abysmal graduation rates. Those who seem to support Liberty are doing so based on anecdotal evidence (I once met a Liberty grad who was smart...) and an apparent belief that Liberty can do no wrong because it's "Christian."

Doubtful. But I get it. Anti-religious people are thoughtful thinkers, while faithful people are blind drones. Got it.
:rolleyes: :mad:

for having oppressive policies directly contrary to its "Liberty" name

Because that's not what the name means.

Oxford English Dictionary said:
liberty, n. ... Theol. Freedom from the bondage or dominating influence of sin

Because that's not what the name means.

Fair point, though I think (or like to believe) that the more "common" understanding of the term is:

The state or condition of being free.

or

The condition of being able to act or function without hindrance or restraint; faculty or power to do as one likes

Of course, your definition is no doubt the one "Liberty" is using.

I know nothing of the school. But to simply dismiss it out of hand simply because of it's religious affiliation is yes, being ignorant of he curriculum, faculty and standards. The Jesuits are pretty dogmatic in some things, but attend a Jesuit school and you'll receive a very valuable education. I know, I was the only non-Catholic in a Jesuit school for a couple years.

Does a Christian fundamentalist education rise to the level of a Jesuit school, dogma notwithstanding? Don't know, but I would reserve judgement until all the facts are in.

You missed the part where they cited the academic rankings. If liberty is #639 and Notre Dame is #17, that blows your "bigotry against Christian universities" theory apart.

ND, BC, G-Town - do these not count as Christian schools?

You missed the part where they cited the academic rankings. If liberty is #639 and Notre Dame is #17, that blows your "bigotry against Christian universities" theory apart.

To a fundamentalist Christian? Probably not. They are Jesuit Catholic. When. Fundamentalist or Evangelicals say Christian, it's a pretty specific group.

Last edited:

You're forgetting that those rankings surely aren't based on objective data, but simply created by biased "liberals" hell-bent on oppressing Christians. :mad2:

If I see a resume from someone who went to Duke, it gets a nudge away from me.

I brought up this subject with the other consultants here during lunch yesterday. Our consensus was that there are far more people who will be positively impressed by seeing Liberty on a resume than turned off by it. There will be more doors opened by other Christians than closed by bigots.

Um, isn't Duke a Methodist-affiliated university???

The undergraduate program at the University of Virginia is in aerospace engineering. In addition, their graduate business school (Darden) offers certificate programs in corporate aviation in cooperation with the National Business Aviation Association. I don't think they offer any flight training.

The programs at Liberty University are in aeronautics, aviation maintenance, aviation management, and they do offer flight training.

Not really comparable.

If you go to a school which is well-known for one thing or another you'll probably receive comments (I'm the one who went to Berkeley). If an employer holds that against you maybe it's somewhere you didn't want to work anyway.

Penn was started to provide a platform for an Evangelical preacher, and it's first Provost was an Anglican priest. Gotta start somewhere...

Penn was started to provide a platform for an Evangelical preacher, and it's first Provost was an Anglican priest. Gotta start somewhere...

The original BUILDING was a place to preach; when it went vacant for a time Ben Franklin decided to turn it into a University.

Yes, but it's Duke. I have degrees from Chapel Hill and NC State. That make it devil territory

Ha! I lived in Charlotte for 6 years. The anti-Duke sentiment is stunning in NC. It makes Ol' Miss and Mississippi State rivalry look like child's play.

Of course, I always made it a point to note to those Tarheal fans that their uniforms are Baby Blue, at which point they scream "Carolina Blue!"

Thanks for the reply. The more I researched last night the more I liked the school. Of course, it will depend upon daughter's liking. University of Virginia has shown interest in her to play ball so we will be heading up there soon. Plan to swing through and speak with Liberty also. Seems to me it would be a perfect fit. Especially if they would look at her to play ball also.

Have any advice on UVA's aviation programs? They seem more geared towards the business management side of aviation from what I see. Which she is wanting that also.

I don't know your (or your daughter's) religious and political background/interests/beliefs, but if you are aligned with conservative Christian principals, then, by all means, explore it further. If you are not, I would look elsewhere--she might actually feel uncomfortable there. Don't be taken in by marketing, however.

If, at age 15, she is attracting the attention of college softball coaches, she must be very good. If she is capable of playing Division I sports at a school like UVa (and does not mind the commitment of college sports), then I say go to the "best" college possible. Like "Jose Cuervo" as well as couple of others in this thread, I feel there is simply no comparison in the reputation and rigor (and graduation rates, SAT scores, etc, etc) between Liberty and UVa.

As a disclaimer, my whole family are probably considered academic snobs. I went to Princeton (also applied to and accepted at UVa and Rice), and my wife went to the Univ or TX. We both have graduate degrees (MD and JD, respectively). Our kids have gone to Yale, Washington & Lee, and Stanford. The two who are not still undergraduates are both in medical school.

We live in a small town in northwest North Carolina, and we know a LOT of kids from our area that go to Liberty, at least to start (a large number do not go on to graduate, for various reasons). They are good kids, but many are not particularly academically gifted. A very good friend of our son's (groomsman in his wedding) played football (and graduated) from Liberty. It was a perfect fit for him--he got a college degree, which Liberty (and football) made possible.

I don't know anything about the aviation programs at Liberty, other than to say that some from there have come to our airport for helicopter training, and they seem like fine people and their piloting skills are fine, as well.

Wells

. . . .

In the spirit of fairness, however, I'll offer up my own ideological bias in return. I find the notion that colleges and universities in general are "not-for-profit" institutions to be rather quaint and naive. American higher education, especially at the undergrad level, is a racket worthy of a RICO indictment. The entire industry is rotten to the core.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/othe...ons-bribery-scandal/r7d2tdbtk55g1nxxb2m2drrxs

https://www.foxnews.com/us/college-entrance-exam-cheating

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2019...admission-cheating-recruiting-bribery-scandal

Time proves me correct once again.

Rich

Took my son there to check it out when he was thinking of Law School. Actually it was a side trip with UVA and Duke being our real goal. Very impressed with school. Know people who have gone there. Great people. My son went to Bob Jones University for his B.A. and his M.A. ........Liberty little more liberal than BJU...but both school great for well rounded education. A little better than that school in Berkeley that I went to. Graduated 1968......Liberty and BJU don’t allow students to burn down their Navy ROTC building like they did at U.C. Berkeley. I was in Army ROTC so they couldn’t burn down our building...Harmon Gym which was cement!

Religious and political argument is against the rules of conduct. Yes, we are stricter at enforcing that now than we were in 2015 when this thread was started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back