user_offline.gif
mikea
user_offline.gif
Pilots Of America Management
user_offline.gif
Ron Levy
user_offline.gif
wsuffa

I never really thought about who all was on the MC but seeing this list it made me think that it is perhaps a bit testosterone or Y chromosome heavy. Why no women on the MC? There are a bunch on this forum, in fact it seems as if there are higher amount percentage wise than in the actual pilot population.

Just wondering.

I just bumped into this.

I never really thought about who all was on the MC but seeing this list it made me think that it is perhaps a bit testosterone or Y chromosome heavy. Why no women on the MC? There are a bunch on this forum, in fact it seems as if there are higher amount percentage wise than in the actual pilot population.

Just wondering.
Out to end women's suffrage, are ya Scott? :)

We certainly have enough here who are qualified to serve, but do they have the time?

Just wondering.

The women have better things to do than be on the MC. :rofl:

I wonder what our percentage of women is here? Hmmm... Diana, Tris, Sheri, Kaye, Liz*2, Leslie, Laurie, Mari, Barb, Judy, Scott, Kate, Danielle, Stacey, Petra, Kath, Lisa, Missa, Terry, Peggy, Brook, Linda, "SharonJeanne," 555Juliet, Rachel (does she count? she's just here to spy on Chris LOL), ??? and I guess we'll have to get Chuck to tell us how many *active* users there are out of our 1000. With 6 MC'ers, if 1/12th or less of active PoAers are women, then they're already equally represented. ;)

Edit: OK, it looks like we have 360 active members (defined by moi as those who have logged in in the past week), and 25 women in that group. 360/12 = 30, and we only have 25. Sorry ladies. ;)

Last edited:
Sheesh, next they'll want to vote, get out of the kitchen...dangerous ground.

I already babysit 2 male species (1 human, 1 canine). Why, pray tell, would I want to add another 300-400 more?!?!? :D

Ok, these are my personal thoughts and not an official MC response.

The original MC was based on people who were involved in the startup. Originally that was Dr. Bruce, Chip, & Mike, IIRC, and they brought me in. We add Ken (then Editor of Aviation Safety) and Brian (another technical expert) early on. Over time as the MC has changed, the decisions on nominees have been based primarily on two factors:
1) Do the potential candidates display personal integrity, level headedness, and fair mindedness? (IE: Would they be good candidates for being fair moderators?)
2) What other qualities will they bring to the Management Council? AdamZ is our legal expert/volunteer attorney, Ron Levy is a regulations expert, former military pilot, and seasoned graybeard CFII, Bill Suffa is one of the two technical leads and brings a wealth of corporate/business knowledge. Chip, Mike and I are just hangers on. ;)

Gender has never been a consideration to any MC member, to the best of my knowledge.

Personally, I'd love to add someone from ATC or FSS to the mix, and to get another AME on board.

The chromosomal mix of any potential candidate is not even a factor to me. It's all about ability to moderate and expertise in an area that will benefit the site.

Personally, I'd love to add someone from ATC or FSS to the mix, and to get another AME on board.
Moderating is tough. I left in a dispute with Brian A who IMO was trying to run this little bitty board like SBC. It was too much for me. Brian had his own stressors- family, business, etc.

My hat is off to those who donate time and effort as moderating is tough. I have this monster day job, full flight instructing schedule, teenaged girls, today started at 06:30 and will go until after dark.

Oh, I failed to mention that during that period I was Chairman of the Board of a local ~1M charitable.

My hat's off to you guys. My formal committment is to AOPA as a member of their Board of Aviation Medical Advisors, and my hands are pretty full up there- and moderation has improved the Red Board, too. Since I am acquainted with their moderators, I can tell you they have thinning hair, too....

Ya all be good, now.

Barb? Are you busy? You'd get your AME and a Female.

Missa

I'd like to help but am kind of busy. And I'm marginally computer illiterate and only have dialup.
These guys are doing an admirable job, and I sure appreciated their efforts.

Barb

I just bumped into this.

Just wondering.
How many gays are there? Blacks? Hispanics? Are all the minorities represented in perfect proportion? Jeez. It's probably Bush's fault there aren't any women on the POA MC. :p

The last sentence in the post above is close enough to politics to remind y'all that politics stay in the Spin Zone. If you want to go there, go there; don't go there here.

Back