[NA] Stingray City

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
So we stepped out last week for a summer family trip before school starts.
Cruised w/ the kids to Jamaica, Cayman's, Cozumel. I know cruises are a little cheesy but I like them and the kids had a blast. Both kids got strep and refused to let it keep them from any activities. The medic on the boat got us loaded up w/ meds and we went full steam ahead.

So we had this thing on our list and Henning gave it 2 thumbs up. I wasn't sure what "stingray city" was. I sort of thought we would feed them off the boat and perhaps get to pet one.

Nope!

They took us out to what seemed to be the middle of the ocean however the water was maybe 2.5 feet deep. This is the spot where for many years fisherman had gone to clean their catch. As such it has become a major feeding ground for the stingrays.

Anyway, they explained how these creatures in this situation was different the Steve Irwin situation so off the boat and into the water.

The first 5 minutes I thought I was going to have a panic attack. They swarmed us and crawled all over us. It was Erie as hell. They have no fear of humans at all. After I realized they didn't appear to want to kill me, I got into it and started swimming around with them and filming them w/ my little go Pro.

They were all different sizes from a dinner plate size to maybe 6 feet across and I would estimate maybe ~200 of them in our general area.

If you find yourself in the Cayman's, this excursion is worth checking out.
I would do it again in a heart beat. The kids also loved it (and mini-me is SUPER skiddish so it was fun to see him feed and interact w/ them).

Anyway, that was just one of the coolest things I have gotten to do in awhile. Super cool memories for the kiddos.

attachment.php

Attachments

• src.jpg
    src.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 233
Done it. I agree, very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been there, done that, no t-shirt:D

It is a cool experience. Just remember to take off any rings or they'll vanish. ;)

Cheers

And here I thought this was going to be about you going to Bowling Green and touring the Corvette plant & museum. :)

Looks like gobs of fun!

I have done that too. They have a very similar preserve in Antigua too. That's where we did that. It's kinda creepy because they swim all around you and brush up against you, but it's really cool.

I've been there and done that. We were on a Christmas cruise. My son and I went to Stingray City while my wife and daughter did something else. It was really neat and so much fun.

I also find it odd that there are places out in the ocean with such shallow water.
We went to Belize once and they had a diving spot where you pretty much couldn't see land but the water was just a few feet deep.

I also find it odd that there are places out in the ocean with such shallow water.
We went to Belize once and they had a diving spot where you pretty much couldn't see land but the water was just a few feet deep.

Pamlico Sound, NC has whole areas that are miles from land where you will run aground. Ask me how I know.

Those used to be mountains, then came global warming. :goofy:

Did Stingray City a few years ago and loved it. I couldn't believe how perfect the water was... temp, clarity, man it was better than any pool.

A beet deeper than a few feet , but look up The Flower Gardens in the Gulf of Mexico. A significant geological formation created a decent dive spot.

A beet deeper than a few feet , but look up The Flower Gardens in the Gulf of Mexico. A significant geological formation created a decent dive spot.

I will look into it. This was our first time taking the kids on what I would consider a major trip and they are hooked on the ocean.

It will be a few years away but Brooke really wants to Scuba dive. I have done it and loved it. 6 is a bit young but I am considering getting a setup next summer and getting her acquainted w/ the equipment in the pool. She is my little no fear adventurer.

Think 12 is the earliest you can start PADI training.

Yeah, it's a good time. I have people that stay at our place on north shore go out there most times. There's also a few of the parasail places we recommend. The stingrays are pretty docile, but you don't want to step on one, or the can get testy.

I dive Cayman every couple of years. Headed down in Oct for another week visit. I try to time my visit so there are no cruise ships in port, although they generally stay over on the 7 mile beach area, or in the town.

When my kids were ready to certify, I took them to Australia and we found a good instructor in Yeppoon, at the lower end of the great barrier reef. They got to certify open water, and we had a bunch of great dives all in one.

I will look into it. This was our first time taking the kids on what I would consider a major trip and they are hooked on the ocean.

It will be a few years away but Brooke really wants to Scuba dive. I have done it and loved it. 6 is a bit young but I am considering getting a setup next summer and getting her acquainted w/ the equipment in the pool. She is my little no fear adventurer.

I have some SCUBA items I plan to sell this fall. Perhaps a few items you can use. I have some tanks, regs, BCDs, and accessories. Maybe a metal diving calculator....

My first trip to Caymen included a family with a 13 yo boy and a 7 year old girl. The boy was an awesome dive buddy and would spot the most interesting reef critters. The girl got to dive under the supervision of the trip leader who was a senior or master dive instructor. Once she got the buoyancy figured out, she did very good.

Lee at island divers on University in Denton is a good open water instructor.

That Stingray City was man made... it wasn't naturally that shallow. There's another Stingray City "Deep" a mile or so from there where you do the same thing in about 10 feet of water, on SCUBA. Both are pretty fun.

Junior Open Water is a 10 year age minimum... Open Water is 15 years old. I personally am not comfortable with the idea of someone younger than 15 in open water.

Ugh...another let down....thought stingray city was this...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 7
Think 12 is the earliest you can start PADI training.

My son did the Junior Open Water at 10. It just converts to Open Water at 15, but you have to order a new card. They don't automatically send it.

Very nice.
This would also be a great destination for a flying adventure. :yes:

Back