King Air dual engine failure 27K

Huh, is there an NTSB on it yet? Losing two turbines is definitely odd enough that it makes one first wonder about fuel.

He lost his engines at 27,000' and couldn't make an airport?

:D;)

Seriously though, losing power on one, and subsequently the other? That almost has to be a fuel issue. If so, it's a tragedy.

He lost his engines at 27,000' and couldn't make an airport?

:D;)

Seriously though, losing power on one, and subsequently the other? That almost has to be a fuel issue. If so, it's a tragedy.

Looks like he was at 12,000. I think he made the airport but came in too fast.

Two PT6s check out at the same time eh? I'd buy a lotto ticket.

Looks like he was at 12,000. I think he made the airport but came in too fast.

A sat view of the airport marking the landing would be helpful. My thoughts would be that if you are dead-sticking a landing coming in too fast, then you screwed up the approach. Maybe screwed up fuel too. My own jealous thoughts? If you don't like that airplane, just give it to me. :yes:

Then NTSBreport should be an interesting read.

Knowing that the fuel system on the King Air is somewhat tricky to manage, I'd bet there was fuel on board. The pilot just didn't know which tanks it was in. Yep! Seen that happen when one landed in the lake a half mile short of the runway.

PILOT CALLED A HERO

Uummm, that's not what I'm thinking he needs ot be called.

I actually saw this plane shortly after it happened. Someone at the airport told me they had been trying to get to LEX. My money is on fuel issue (as in lack of)...

Pardon my ignorance but can fuel contamination be an issue here?

We had a KingAir crash in Springdale AR a couple years ago. Pilot was known to only dribble in enough fuel for the trip. Took off from pine Bluff after getting some avionics work done pretty much at bingo fuel.

Killed himself and all because he had a policy of not "tankering fuel" . 99% of the time I'm all ways fuel fuel. The other 1% I've got at least 1/2 fuel on board and hopping over to MX, a 10 min flight.

Loosing both turbines......guaranteed to be fuel, or lack thereof.

Knowing that the fuel system on the King Air is somewhat tricky to manage, I'd bet there was fuel on board. The pilot just didn't know which tanks it was in. Yep! Seen that happen when one landed in the lake a half mile short of the runway.

What's so tricky about it? I can't believe Beech would change it that much from the small king air family to the big king airs

99.999999999% fuel exhaustion......

Funny how they are always able to throw a tarp over the N numbers ASAP...:rolleyes:

I tend not to tanker fuel in twins either because of OEI performance considerations, but I don't cut it that kind of close.

Fuel Contamination? Bet the tanks contained excessively quantities of air.

Tricky?

1.Boost pumps on.

If you forget, they STILL run.:yes:

If fuel exhaustion was the cause then we should see an NTSB report rather soon.

I tend not to tanker fuel in twins either because of OEI performance considerations, but I don't cut it that kind of close.

Same for me. My company had a rule to keep at least a one hour reserve.

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, August 01, 2015 in Georgetown, KY
Aircraft: BEECH C90B, registration: N257CQ
Injuries: 2 Serious, 2 Minor.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On August 1, 2015, about 2100 eastern daylight time, a Beechcraft King Air C90B, N257CQ, experienced a loss of engine power during cruise flight and subsequently impacted terrain near Georgetown Scott County Airport – Marshall Field (27K), Georgetown, Kentucky. The commercial pilot and one passenger sustained serious injuries and the two other passengers sustained minor injuries. The airplane sustained substantial damage to both wings and the fuselage. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and an instrument rules flight plan was filed for the flight that departed the James M Cox Dayton International Airport (DAY), Dayton, Ohio, about 2023 with an intended destination of Lake Cumberland Regional Airport (SME), Somerset, Kentucky. The airplane was owned and operated by Absher Air LLC as a personal flight in accordance with the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

According to an interview the FAA inspector conducted with the pilot, a fuel crossfeed light illuminated, the pilot reset the indication, and the right engine immediately lost power while in cruise flight. He further reported that the autofeather system feathered the right engine propeller. The pilot could not recall feathering the left engine; however, due to the injuries the pilot sustained, the inspector suspended the interview until a later date.

According to a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector, the airplane impacted the ground in a right wing low attitude. The airplane slid about 174 feet, impacted an embankment, became airborne, and then came to rest on airport property, about 238 feet from the initial impact location. According to FAA and local police photographs, the airplane came to rest upright, on the belly of the aircraft, parallel to an airport taxiway. The left engine propeller was found in the feathered position, separated from the engine flange, and was in the vicinity of the wreckage. All four propeller blades exhibited S-bending and chordwise scratching along the propeller face. The right engine propeller blade was in flat pitch; however, only one propeller blade was bent aft and no other damage was observed on the other three right engine propeller blades.

Preliminary information revealed that the flight originated at Red Lake Airport (CYRL), Red Lake, Ontario, Canada, earlier in the afternoon, flew to Duluth International Airport (DLH), Duluth, Minnesota, where fuel records indicated the airplane was fueled with 140 gallons of Jet A fuel with prist. The flight departed DLH about 50 minutes later and then landed in DAY, prior to departing to SME. According to personnel at the three fixed base operations (FBO) facilities at DAY, the airplane was not fueled at DAY prior to departure. One FBO facility reported that security video captured the airplane taxiing onto the FBO ramp and the engines being shut down. Several people exited the airplane and were let out through the security gate to the parking lot. Subsequently, four people returned to the aircraft and it taxied out.

The aircraft and engines were retained by NTSB for further examination.
http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20150803X51616&key=1

Tricky?

1.Boost pumps on.

If you forget, they STILL run.:yes:
Taken from a BeechTalk post by someone familiar with this issue in C90s:

"If fuel gets very low in the nacelle (main) tank, then a loss of fuel flow/fuel pressure will be interpreted by the system as a boost pump failure and the crossfeed opens to allow the remaining boost pump on the other side to supply both engines. But if both side's fuel is low/empty, then a double flameout will occur shortly/now."

This apparently can happen if the crossfeed is in Auto.

+ 1 Exactly. This is covered in any sim school.

Oddly enough, the post accident fuel state (or signs of leaks) is not mentioned in the NTSB report.

There is quite a discussion though on fuel. It left CYRL with an unspecified quantity of fuel. It landed at DLH and took on 140 gallons. It then landed at DAY and was NOT fueled. It then went on to SME but didn't make it and crashed at 27K.

So someone with knowledge on KA's help us out: CYRL to DLH to DAY to 27K is how many gallons of fuel used? Remove 140 that we know was added in DLH, and we are left with how much they would have had to have leaving CYRL. That would be interesting to know...

There is quite a discussion though on fuel. It left CYRL with an unspecified quantity of fuel. It landed at DLH and took on 140 gallons. It then landed at DAY and was NOT fueled. It then went on to SME but didn't make it and crashed at 27K.

So someone with knowledge on KA's help us out: CYRL to DLH to DAY to 27K is how many gallons of fuel used? Remove 140 that we know was added in DLH, and we are left with how much they would have had to have leaving CYRL. That would be interesting to know...

Expect about 250TAS and 285pph/side.

I believe a C90 holds about 385gal. I fly an E90 with a different fuel system, so perhaps someone can confirm the fuel capacity on a C.

Last edited:
Expect about 250TAS and 285pph/side.

Is that for 12k?

Some of the comments on BT by other C90 folks seem to think that was a relatively low altitude for him to cruise at and consequently higher fuel burn.

Is that for 12k?

Some of the comments on BT by other C90 folks seem to think that was a relatively low altitude for him to cruise at and consequently higher fuel burn.

That's for 24K.

I'm not sure exactly what altitude this guy was at. If it was 12K, than that is rather low. Kinda a pointless altitude for that airplane. At 12K it would be around 350pph/side with a true of no more than 240kts.

Last edited:
Very rough crude calculation for 12K at 350 pph/side at a TAS of 240 kts:

Straightline distance is 905 nm. At 12K then that is 3.8 hours. So that is 2660 lbs of fuel total used.

That is 394 gallons. Minus 140 is 254 Gallons of jet fuel on departure from CYRL.

How do we know that he was at 12K?

What I don't get is why his right engine isn't feathered and left is. In a duel engine failure I'd assume you feather both or none. In the NTSB report it says that the autofeather feather the right engine, he may or may not have feathered the left engine. According to the post crash picture, the left is feathered, while the right clearly isn't and also clearly wasn't spinning during impact.

http://www.baaa-acro.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/N257CQ-1.jpg

Back