Places NOT to stop X-country ...

KFME, not too far from DC or Balt. In my opinion slightly preferable to KGAI, also close in. Cheaper fuel, easier drive into DC or Balt. . .

But self serve only, one pump (which breaks down too often). Bad ramp lighting, too - vast darkness interrupted by blazing spots, aimed at your face, from hangar roofs. Serviceable small terminal. GPS approaches.

KGAI is sleeker, much nicer terminal, with shower, and on-again, off-again, and indiffrent restsurant. RCO, and self serve or full serve, both on the pricey side.

Both run by local gov't entities, so about as efficient (or not) as you would expect. Both are in the DC SFRA.

KFME is actually Fort Meade, or rather, Tipton now. Just off the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, and so a straight shot to either city. Frederick is KFDK, a pretty good haul west of Balt, and well north of DC.

I wouldn't avoid either (or go out of my way to visit); just saying I'd choose FME over GAI for convenience, and fuel price. GAI has better amenities.

We need a thread of places you can scrub off your list of fields to stop at if at all possible ...

My first vote is Hope, Arkansas M18

We stopped there on the way back from OSH and good lord was it hot and depressing. It stunk too. The Avgas machine faces the sun so you cannot read the LED readout at all. I just got lucky and punched the right buttons somehow ... and don't deviate too much from the pavement or you'll hit a hay bale or a land mine. :yikes:

M18
KBKD
KINK
ASJ
KMDT
KMDD
T15
F01
KTXK
KLBL
5V5
1K2
KCDH
5M8
KSGT
KLBT
KCDH
KDSU
KDSV
61A
White House Lawn

C59

List of no-go's from the thread. I'll try to keep it updated here on the first post. :redface:
What was the issue for you with ktxk?

Odd you would stop at m18 with a delta fbo under 15 miles away with full services.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What was the issue for you with ktxk?

Odd you would stop at m18 with a delta fbo under 15 miles away with full services.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KTXK was suggested by another poster, not me.

What's odd is you assuming I know where every good FBO is on a long cross country. :dunno:

Any of the Okinawa and Kagoshima prefecture islands in Japan

Any of the Okinawa and Kagoshima prefecture islands in Japan

My dad stopped by near there once while in the Navy. Said he saw a really bright light... But that was a really long time ago...

As long as they keep the geese away (or eat them, doesn't matter which), they can stick around.

P1070761.JPG

Doesn't work. We've seen them around Palo Alto at night, but there are still WAY too many Canada geese around.

10653293_10155589798520467_6045252919230699798_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back