Escalante Utah (1L7) Campground Open

CT4ME

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CT4ME
The "Paul Bowmar Memorial Campground" is open in Escalante Utah. This is going to become a legendary fly-in location. Paul was an avid flier and had always promoted the area to pilots. His dream was this campground and now, with the help of the RAF and many friends, it is a reality.
The campground is right on the airport (1L7), and has a covered cook shack, with running water, electricity, BBQ, refrigerator and a microwave! Numerous campsites overlook the incredible valley and the runway. The pilot lounge has a shower and indoor bathroom. I'm pretty sure I also saw a computer with Internet!
Escalante is a little story-book town, steeped in Mormon heritage, and surrounded by some of the most beautiful country imaginable. There are Parks & monuments in every direction, and activities galore. While there might be some Winter activities, the town pretty much shuts down in the Winter.

You could easily use Escalante as a base and do quick fly-outs to Monument Valley, Lake Powell, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Marble Canyon, Page and more. There is no fuel at 1L7 (yet), but you can pop over to Cal Black Memorial (U96) for AvGas (or MoGas!)

Sounds fun! I fly around that area some and will have to check it out.

Escalante, 1L7, now has fuel! And a courtesy car is in the works. The pilot lounge is being decorated and stocked with great reading material.

Wish I had read this post last week. I ended up going into Wayne Wonderland to visit Capitol Reef Nat'l Park. Had I known about this, I'd have gone to here instead.

Not sure about cars... but there are jeeps or maybe ATV's available... but not at the airport. It's a small town, you could probably arrange them to pick you up. Airport is only about a mile from town.
http://www.highadventurerentals.com/escalante-services.html

last year the runway was very good... watch for coyotes, etc. The last few moments of this video show it from 2012..

Last edited:
96e55654c132e017fc153702.jpg

I flew up to Escalante last weekend and camped one night. Great little airport! Runway is beautiful. ..looks new. Nice pavilion for shade and has everything you need. The pilot lounge up on the hill has a clean bathroom with shower, frig and WiFi. No courtesy car yet but they are working on it. Fuel service was installed in Feb and price is best in the area.... $4.99
Chris and Mary are real nice folks. 1L7 is definitely worth flying to and checking it out.

Not sure about cars... but there are jeeps or maybe ATV's available... but not at the airport. It's a small town, you could probably arrange them to pick you up. Airport is only about a mile from town.
http://www.highadventurerentals.com/escalante-services.html

last year the runway was very good... watch for coyotes, etc. The last few moments of this video show it from 2012..

FYI... I just received word.... they now have a Courtesy Car! With this addition, along with fuel, free camping, cookshack, pilot lounge, incredible scenery & parks, and the cutest little town has to make this a fly-in bucket list item for every pilot.

FYI
Cook Shack and Fire Hub courtesy of the Recreational Aviation Foundation.
www.theraf.org
Project they did a couple years ago.

Back