0-200 cylinders

Uh, yeah. My post from February 2012 is in that thread:
There is hope, I guess. At 125 hours TT all four of my original TCM cylinders were leaking from the exhaust valve, and compression in the worst was down to 40/80. All four were re-worked by Premier in Troutdale, Oregon, and now, 125 hours later, all are doing great. Compression test this week was 78, 78, 78 and 76.

I know of several owners who had problems with O-200 cylinders less than 200 hours old. Those I know of who had the cylinders reworked by an outside shop, have had no further problem.

Uh, yeah. My post from February 2012 is in that thread:

I know of several owners who had problems with O-200 cylinders less than 200 hours old. Those I know of who had the cylinders reworked by an outside shop, have had no further problem.

Were they all Continental cylinders? or were some after market?

I Have a bunch of ECI cylinders in service and none have any problems until around 1000 hours when the oil consumption goes up. but that only happened to a 0-300 running auto, I don't know if that had any effect or not.

From what I'm told, they make 'em seat better. :dunno:

Recut/grind the valve-seats to be perfectly concentric and plumb with the valve guide. Typically using something like this:

Oct2012_SG7_-%281%29_3.jpg

Last edited:
Hell,,,, I do that on every new cylinder I place in service.

turn it upside down, pour a few ounces of stoddard solvent in the bore and see what leaks out the intake or exhaust out let.

If it leaks, relap it.

Question about O-200 (specifically, O-200D) oil consumption.

I've previously topped the 162 off to 5 qts and flown it on a 3 hour xc, no problems. Before the return leg, I'd add half a quart or a quart to bring it back up to 5 qts, and head home.

Yesterday, the dipstick read 4.5 qts, and I set off on a 1 hour flight. When I checked the oil before returning, it read 4. Half a quart in an hour seemed like a lot to me.

The aircraft is around 800 tach / 1000 Hobbs since new.

When I'm out boring holes in the sky, I typically cruise at 2450 and lean a lot.

Does something happen around the 1000 hour mark that causes oil consumption to go up, and is it anything to be concerned about?

Were they all Continental cylinders? or were some after market?

I Have a bunch of ECI cylinders in service and none have any problems until around 1000 hours when the oil consumption goes up. but that only happened to a 0-300 running auto, I don't know if that had any effect or not.

Question about O-200 (specifically, O-200D) oil consumption.

I've previously topped the 162 off to 5 qts and flown it on a 3 hour xc, no problems. Before the return leg, I'd add half a quart or a quart to bring it back up to 5 qts, and head home.

Yesterday, the dipstick read 4.5 qts, and I set off on a 1 hour flight. When I checked the oil before returning, it read 4. Half a quart in an hour seemed like a lot to me.

The aircraft is around 800 tach / 1000 Hobbs since new.

When I'm out boring holes in the sky, I typically cruise at 2450 and lean a lot.

Does something happen around the 1000 hour mark that causes oil consumption to go up, and is it anything to be concerned about?

Any signs of a leak, like oil stains on the pavement under the cowling? If you used half a quart in an hour you have an issue that needs to be investigated.

If it was me, I would have it looked at before I flew it again. I had an O200D that had 900+ hours and it still used only 1 qt every 20 hours.

Back