Hail Forces Emergency Landing

The power of Mother Nature,scary.

I watched a NOAA pilot fly (intentionally) into a supercell on a research flight in a T-28. When he landed there was not a square inch on the plane that wasn't pummeled, I was amazed it made it. They disassembled it and took it out on a trailer.

Interesting looking 747, more hail damage than I figured to shrink the tube that much and knock off a couple engines. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised the media didn't call it a Cessna...oh wait, it's a commercial flight so it must be a 747.

Wonder if they were downwind of something nasty or actually penetrated it? The Airbus has multiscan radar I think that should have easily depicted something that bad...but I would like to benefit them of the doubt that is was inadvertent.

Then Again. I broke off into holding in DEN last week to watch an American MD-83 behind me dive right into a Level 5 storm on the final...they told approach who was asking about the ride that " were thinking of going around " as you could hear the wind shear warning going off in the background...they boltered but had to fly entirely wall to wall through that storm...real nice :dunno:

Wonder if they were downwind of something nasty or actually penetrated it? The Airbus has multiscan radar I think that should have easily depicted something that bad...but I would like to benefit them of the doubt that is was inadvertent.

Then Again. I broke off into holding in DEN last week to watch an American MD-83 behind me dive right into a Level 5 storm on the final...they told approach who was asking about the ride that " were thinking of going around " as you could hear the wind shear warning going off in the background...they boltered but had to fly entirely wall to wall through that storm...real nice :dunno:

Airlines no longer attract the best and brightest.

"The boeing 747 was able to land....."

Do they have fun size 747s now?

Yes they obviously do!

Do ya think they got a ferry permit to get it to maintenance? :D

Hey at least they didn't call it a Airbus 747.

Maybe a dumb question.
Do airliners not have the same 20 mi rule that GA pilots have?

It seems he flew right through it

Delta bought Northwest who had the finest meteorology dept in the airlines. Apparently they have all retired, this wouldn't have happened at NWA............no excuse for this.....

Back