Your Profession and GA

What is your profession/job

• Total voters
You also forgot to include Higher Ed in your poll... so I marked Other. ;)

(And in my case, it's definitely no more than a wonderful obsession. Though I think it impressed my current department chair enough when I interviewed that it was a factor in my getting the position.)
I went for "Engineering" since that is what I teach and what I used to do before the current gig. And, also, flying is yea olde hobby

Do computer programmers check engineering, or IT?

I chose Aviation Professional. I work in airport ops at a fairly active Class D GA airport. Do all sorts of things at the airport from operations to security to maintenance to landscaping.

Mostly boat stuff, but I do some utility flying in support of that, plus I will rent a plane to go look at planes for people.

Engineering...we deal in the sanitary design of buildings and processes associated with food production.

I work as a towel boy in a bordello, would that be "other" ???

We have as many IT people as aviation professionals on POA. Wouldn't have thunk it.:confused:

Last edited:
Does the poll program allow multible buttons? That would address part of the retiree population. My primary career was Engineer (Electric Power Plants). After retirement from that, I spent about 10 years either heaviy involved in or running an airport. I just retired from that.

My company plans and engineers airports. Currently working at ~140 airports ranging from LAX to Put-in-Bay. I guess that makes our business kind of aviation related.

Hey! I resemble that remark! Although I'm more of a manufacturing accountant/analyst than oil & gas, but we're tied at the hip since we make frac pumps and other well stimulation equipment. Flying is just a hobby, and one I don't get to enjoy often enough at that.

I have taken the head of our IT department up for a burger run though, does that count? :lol:

Not sure which part of it you resembled, but I sure didn't mean anything negative by it.

And, no, that does not count. If anything, you get points deducting for taking nerds in your plane. :wink2:

Does the poll program allow multible buttons? That would address part of the retiree population. My primary career was Engineer (Electric Power Plants). After retirement from that, I spent about 10 years either heaviy involved in or running an airport. I just retired from that.

This is off topic, but Graueradler, what kind of power plant is that just west of Russellville, on the south side of the interstate? Looks nuclear.

Semi retired General / Commercial contractor to fund my aviation habit... Test Pilot. Prototype machinist for aviation and racing stuff...

Livin the dream in Paradise...

IT. And IT Management. Flew to a customer site once, Director about had a heart attack when he found out.

Ditto on the "sole" guy for a bunch of stuff here at work, and it needing to change, like Greg. Seriously considering bagging on the entire industry, but... golden handcuffs...

I'm also an engineer working with Electric Power Plants, my specialty is conducting performance testing on Gas Turbine based plants. I've thought that I might be able to make the jump one day to being a Flight Test Engineer or possibly get enough time to get hired on as a corporate FO at the company I work for here in Georgia. Right now my job just supports my aviation hobby!

Some of the younger folks on this forum are classified as "students." Yay for skool and edumacation.

I'm a pastor. I use the plane on mission/humanitarian/evangelism trips.

Someone sent me an email saying "OOOOW! I'm telling on you! You can't get paid to fly!"
Let me clarify:
(Until I retired in 2010) I got PAID to be a scientist. Since 1999 I have also been a pastor. For the last 16 years I have never accepted a penny from the church. I work for free. (in fact my wife and I paid off the mortgage on the church). I pay for all my flights out of pocket.

Where is the "nose thumbing" emoticon when you need it?

I'm also an engineer working with Electric Power Plants, my specialty is conducting performance testing on Gas Turbine based plants. I've thought that I might be able to make the jump one day to being a Flight Test Engineer or possibly get enough time to get hired on as a corporate FO at the company I work for here in Georgia. Right now my job just supports my aviation hobby!

Let's start another thread on Power Plant Performance Testing... I have a ton of questions.... Like , can you predict turbine blade erosion, scale build up, etc etc , based on input steam pressure through a known orifice ( nozzle) at different steam pressures, since the turbine can be loaded down by using the generator.. ie, A giant DYNO...:dunno:

Someone sent me an email saying "OOOOW! I'm telling on you! You can't get paid to fly!"
Let me clarify:
(Until I retired in 2010) I got PAID to be a scientist. Since 1999 I have also been a pastor. For the last 16 years I have never accepted a penny from the church. I work for free. (in fact my wife and I paid off the mortgage on the church). I pay for all my flights out of pocket.

Where is the "nose thumbing" emoticon when you need it?
In fact, even if you were being paid by the Church, that is A-OK. The flying is incidental to your work. You aren't seeking God by flying high in a plane. You are just using the plane to get to your place of ground-bound work. It's no different than a construction contractor using their plane to commute to a job site and then billing mileage reimbursement for the flight.

I develop ballistic missiles for intercept testing but flying is just a hobby for me.

Not sure which part of it you resembled, but I sure didn't mean anything negative by it.

And, no, that does not count. If anything, you get points deducting for taking nerds in your plane. :wink2:

. . . but I suppose rural Oklahoma isn't a big slice of the pie. Docs, Lawyers, Oil & Gas guys, and Farmers mostly.

Was referring to the bolded items above. :) No offense taken/intended. Well, the IT guy was along for the ride, the purpose of the flight was for his 12yr-old daughter to fly because she was interested in possibly becoming a pilot someday. The IT guy is ~6'3/290lbs, so getting him in the back seat of a 172 was . . . a sight!

Last edited:
This is off topic, but Graueradler, what kind of power plant is that just west of Russellville, on the south side of the interstate? Looks nuclear.

The power plant is known as Arkansas Nuclear One because when it was built, they expected to build an Arkansas Nuclear Two and maybe more. As it is, it is Arkansas Nuclear Only. It is a two unit plant with unit one being a Bacock and Wilcox design. That is a design with vertical counterflow steam generators that produce about 50 degrees of superheat. It provides constant steam conditions to the turbine throttles over the power range and is a few percent more thermally efficient that the competitor "U tube" steam generator designs. Unit two is a Combustion Engineering U Tube design plant. The U tube steam generators produce saturated steam with a decreasing steam pressure and temperature as power is increased. Unit one is cooled directly from the lake. Unit two was built a little later and a cooling tower was required.

I have never understood why a utility would build plants of different designs on the same site. No two major components are from the same manufacturer. The increased maintenance over the life of the plants has to far exceed any savings that they might have realized at the time of purchase.

Way more information that you might have wanted but my fingers just kept going.

The power plant is known as Arkansas Nuclear One because when it was built, they expected to build an Arkansas Nuclear Two and maybe more. As it is, it is Arkansas Nuclear Only. It is a two unit plant with unit one being a Bacock and Wilcox design. That is a design with vertical counterflow steam generators that produce about 50 degrees of superheat. It provides constant steam conditions to the turbine throttles over the power range and is a few percent more thermally efficient that the competitor "U tube" steam generator designs. Unit two is a Combustion Engineering U Tube design plant. The U tube steam generators produce saturated steam with a decreasing steam pressure and temperature as power is increased. Unit one is cooled directly from the lake. Unit two was built a little later and a cooling tower was required.

I have never understood why a utility would build plants of different designs on the same site. No two major components are from the same manufacturer. The increased maintenance over the life of the plants has to far exceed any savings that they might have realized at the time of purchase.

Way more information that you might have wanted but my fingers just kept going.

That's seriously stupid. That's one thing the French did right with their nuclear industry, they built entire series of plants to the same blue prints. Not only is it design cost effective, you can transplant people from plant to plant if there are emergency staffing issues.

That's seriously stupid. That's one thing the French did right with their nuclear industry, they built entire series of plants to the same blue prints.

If they actually did that it would be a first for the French...

I guess I would classify my profession as Student at the good ole University of Georgia. Go Dawgs!

Polled 'business owner'. Business is farming, viticulture. Finding out that flying and farming weather conflict. Why can't they have all of the fly-ins during the winter?:D
h

That's seriously stupid. That's one thing the French did right with their nuclear industry, they built entire series of plants to the same blue prints. Not only is it design cost effective, you can transplant people from plant to plant if there are emergency staffing issues.
no they didn't. Not even close.

Another missed category: commercial real estate investor. I've been doing that (for pension funds and insurance companies as the money source) since 1976 AND I RETIRED TODAY! WOO HOO! :goofy: :yesnod::thumbsup::yesnod::cheers:

-Skip

Another missed category: commercial real estate investor. I've been doing that (for pension funds and insurance companies as the money source) since 1976 AND I RETIRED TODAY! WOO HOO! :goofy: :yesnod::thumbsup::yesnod::cheers:

-Skip
Woohoo! Good for you! :cheerswine:

Hardware (IC design). For about 25 years.

Back