North Fox Isand - Soon?

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Light and Sporty Guy
http://www.leelanaunews.com/news/20..._6_years_North_Fox_landing_strip_reopens.html

"Island has giant toads, lots of snakes

By Amy Hubbell Of The Enterprise staff

Public access to state-owned North Fox Island will be a little easier with the expected signing of a lease for the island airstrip in Lansing. Maintenance of the airstrip will offer another venue for the public to visit one of the more remote places in Michigan. It could also be used as an emergency landing strip for aviators."

https://skyvector.com/?ll=45.48068267379021,-85.7765328098788&chart=301&zoom=3

I suspect, but do not know, that overnight camping would not be permitted.

http://www.michigandnr.com/publicat.../Beaver_Islands_SWRA_North_Fox_Island_map.pdf

That's great. Now what will be the runway length? It seems the nicer runway is on South Fox Island, kinda private though.

Camping will be permitted. My dad is the one that spearheaded this deal. He's already been mowing that runway too. State inspection was last week the identifier will be/is 6Y3 (I think).

I think the runway is 3000.

Ed's dad is the state liaison for the Recreational Aviation Foundation. The RAF is, as far as I know, also the contractual partner for the State of Michigan.

More information about the island on their website: http://recreationalaviationfoundation.org/airport/nfoxis

My wife and I already super excited and can't wait until if opens. I am already looking forward to our first overnight stay on the island! :D

Dad has already flown in there a couple times in 70T.

Did you say Snakes?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Poisonous snakes in Michigan are almost non-existent. The furthest north I have heard one found was about on a level with Flint. The non-poisonous ones were kind of fun to antagonize. We used to catch little green grass snakes. They have no teeth. We would let them latch on to a finger and see how many we could get to hang there. Kid stuff. Now, I'm not fast enough to catch them.

Poisonous snakes in Michigan are almost non-existent. The furthest north I have heard one found was about on a level with Flint. The non-poisonous ones were kind of fun to antagonize. We used to catch little green grass snakes. They have no teeth. We would let them latch on to a finger and see how many we could get to hang there. Kid stuff. Now, I'm not fast enough to catch them.
Ha! Sounds like fun... :D

Yeah, the only venomous snake in Michigan is the Massassauga rattler and they are most prevalent in the southeastern corner of the LP - basically, where I've hiked all my life before moving out here. And I never saw one in the wild. Not once. They are VERY shy.

North Fox sounds like a great getaway destination. I hope to have a chance to get out there someday.

Who needs the Caribbean, with this right around the corner?

North%20Fox%20Island%201_7.jpg

Since it is about 10 sm away from Beaver Island, about 23 sm from the mainland, and as it does not provide any kind of infrastructure, I guess that most of the time it will be a pilot-only island.

I assume that usually one would be completely alone on the island. Probably a little bit spooky at night but also super-cool!

Last edited:
The RAF( Recreational Aviation Foundation www.theraf.org) is opening this airstrip up to the public. It will be 3,000 ft.X 100 ft marked with std. yellow cones every 200 ft. Runway is 6/ 24 Elevation 639'
800 ft and 1,000 ft displaced threshold on the ends. It will be a State licensed airport under the new "Unimproved Airport " category.
The strip can be soft for a day or two after a rain so we suggest watching the past weather as well as winds from the travel day and the departure day.
There can be a lot of wind in out in the open lake so we will suggest early and late arrivals and departures(normally) if you go ,as they usually drop of then.

This is on a 843 acre island 21nm of the mainland and 10 nm. from Beaver Island out in Lake Mi.. We are only leasing the airstrip from the Mi. DNR, camping will be allowed on the airstrip next to your plane or anywhere on the open mowed sides of the runway all year. The island is a State Game area so no camping is allowed on the rest of the island from mid April to mid Sept . Great beach around the whole island to walk.

Giant Toads -yes,SNAKES, yes plenty of them ,all harmless and interesting.
On one pass mowing the tall weeds I stopped counting at 80, cute little rascals headed for the woods after I mowed down their hunting grounds.
Actually all the out island in that area have lots of snakes,none poisonous.

This is a true wilderness experience ,everything you bring in must go back out with you.No burning or burying of garbage. Toilet facilities are a shovel.
Bring water and bug spray.
It's a beautiful place ,maybe not for everyone, those of you who make it out there ,ENJOY!!
We are about to sign the final lease papers in the next few days ,we ask you not go there until they are signed and notification is published.
More airstrips to come also.

El Con( Brad Frederick-RAF-Michigan State Liaison)

Thank you for all that effort.

:yeahthat:

The efforts Brad and his friends put into this are just incredible. :yes:
If I remember correctly, they even hauled in tractors and other gear, which I assume somebody donated.

I joined the RAF a while ago, as I wanted to support their activities. :yesnod:

:yeahthat:

The efforts Brad and his friends put into this are just incredible. :yes:
If I remember correctly, they even hauled in tractors and other gear, which I assume somebody donated.

I joined the RAF a while ago, as I wanted to support their activities. :yesnod:

We have 3 small mowers out there, the Nat. Guard deal fell through to get bigger equipment out there so we disassembled the small mowers and flew them out on Island Airways, Islander aircraft.

Who needs the Caribbean, with this right around the corner?

Since it is about 10 sm away from Beaver Island, about 23 sm from the mainland, and as it does not provide any kind of infrastructure, I guess that most of the time it will be a pilot-only island.

I assume that usually one would be completely alone on the island. Probably a little bit spooky at night but also super-cool!

Yes, the Caribbean is kinda far for most of us in the Midwest. Just wait until mid August when the water warms up, close enough for me. I think some boaters will show up too. The main thing to be scared of there would be the mosquitoes(sp?). If you need more protection bring your German Shepherd, they enjoy that duty.

I like that runway size! 3000' x 100' suits me fine. Thanks for the effort. How does the grass get mowed routinely? Seems there would be a need for a mower on site?

Yes, the Caribbean is kinda far for most of us in the Midwest. Just wait until mid August when the water warms up, close enough for me. I think some boaters will show up too. The main thing to be scared of there would be the mosquitoes(sp?). If you need more protection bring your German Shepherd, they enjoy that duty.
Against toads, snakes, or mosquitoes? :rolleyes:

No, maybe a pirate ship will come by?

Here is 'Kara'. A little young at 11 weeks, but she did fly already. We flew up to Reedsburg, WI to pick her up.

She is really coming along well, strongly bonded to the family. We have kept up the introductions, guy from MI on his Harley is coming today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 27
So, what time do the taffy shops open in the morning? :D

All joking aside, great job.
Fat Albert and me, will make a stop there this summer :goofy:

No, maybe a pirate ship will come by?

Here is 'Kara'. A little young at 11 weeks, but she did fly already. We flew up to Reedsburg, WI to pick her up.

She is really coming along well, strongly bonded to the family. We have kept up the introductions, guy from MI on his Harley is coming today.
She's a beaut. :yes: A rescue?

She's a beaut. :yes: A rescue?

We looked at all options. We had a deal to 're-home' a 9 month old, but then the lady changed her mind as we prepared to drive to NW IN. After we got the pup pictured above, she changed her mind back, it was to late for us though.

Kara came from a 30+ year 'shepherd guy'. We had another shelter dog in our sights, but the shelter was shut down temporarily over that 'IL flu' that's been prevalent. Our local shelter had mostly pits and pit mixes, plus their 'application form' makes you feel unworthy of ownership.

Hopefully she will look like her Mom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 25

I like that runway size! 3000' x 100' suits me fine. Thanks for the effort. How does the grass get mowed routinely? Seems there would be a need for a mower on site?

There are three out there right now.

There are three out there right now.

How about an honor system with the mowers? Kinda like the courtesy car deal, someone lands and then mows as needed. The fuel thing would have to be worked out.

Most pilots wouldn't mess with the mowers, may have to watch those boaters from Chicago though.:yes:

How about an honor system with the mowers? Kinda like the courtesy car deal, someone lands and then mows as needed. The fuel thing would have to be worked out.

Most pilots wouldn't mess with the mowers, may have to watch those boaters from Chicago though.:yes:

We have a group of local volunteers that have done the work so far and myself of course. We will be looking for more to spread the load and not burn anyone out.
To check out what going on when we're not there we may put up some game cameras.

Very exciting!

Thank you, Brad! What a gift to the community.

The island might also be great destination for a PoA Great Lakes fly-in!?

We were discussing that. I forgot who the we was. Liz?

Depending on whether the airstrip will be open by then, Martina and I might camp there for a night on the way to / from the 6Y9 fly-in.

Since so many other PoAers also want go to the 6Y9 fly-in, this might be a good opportunity to also join us on North Fox Island!?

I would think the time for an island fly-in would be August, just as water temperature peaks. Since facilities are limited, Lake MI could double as the bathtub.

For those who are not familiar with this area, North Fox Island is just a speck in the middle of big water
It will be as close to wilderness as you can get in the midwest - or close to Robinson Caruso
I have been there by boat once.
Of course a working airstrip will change some of that - and probably rapidly

For those who want adventure with a few more amenities let me recommend Beaver island. and to land on SJX not 6Y8 for the first time On your way down to St. James harbor you can scope out 6Y8 and talk to the air taxi guys operating off there and become a 'local' for the next trip

For the squeamish, I am probably one of the few on here actually familiar with the Michigan Rattler. They are small snakes about the size of a medium garter snake. Yeah, they are venomous but not a huge threat to a full size human. They will do anything to get away from you. If you see one just stand still and the threat will go the other way like a streak of lightning
To the best of my local knowledge - having grown up on a farm next to a state preserve that had them in quantity - there was only one fatality from a bite in the late 1940's. An unfortunate person was picking wild berries in the preserve right across from our farm when he reached into a bush for berries. There was a rattler sunning in the branches and he accidentally grabbed it. The rattler struck him on the neck over the carotid artery and he died as a result. No anti-snake venom in those misty days of yore - Remember this was 70 years ago, and yes we did have running water and electricity (sheesh, you know nothing kids)

Anyway, they are not aggressive. At least once a week one would turn up in the barnyard and send my grandpa into the screaming meemies. I would scoop them upon a shovel and dump them into a grain bag. Jump on my bike and take them a mile into the preserve and let them go. I was 8-10 years old back then.

Looking forward to a North Fox fly-in.

Are there any good restaurants within waking distance? :rofl:

Well, actually yes. They even have the IMHO world's best restaurant and hotel located directly next to your plane. Sadly, I don't have a picture of the North Fox Island, but this is what a similar setting looks like at another airstrip:

632992.jpg~original

:D :yes:

Just got a note that the airport is now open!

Dear Grant,

The Recreational Aviation Foundation (RAF) has been working for several years to re-open North Fox Island airstrip, located on a state-owned 820-acre island in Lake Michigan.

Many volunteer man hours have gone into preparation and negotiations in order to reclaim and return the airstrip to a safe condition. North Fox Island is approximately 27 miles northwest of Charlevoix. The 3,000-foot turf runway has displaced thresholds with 60-foot trees on both ends and along the sides. It is now open to the public and will appear on the chart as 6Y3.

“The RAF is pleased to announce our completion of a formal agreement with the State of Michigan to open North Fox Island,” said RAF President John McKenna.

“This is a spectacular recreational aviation destination that fits right in with the mission of the RAF,” said RAF Michigan Liaison Brad Frederick, who oversaw much of the volunteer labor and substantial logistical challenges. “Restoration of the airfield, cones, windsock, and mowing equipment have all been done by a group of tireless volunteers,” he added.

Volunteers will be tapped to assist with ongoing maintenance, another successful model the RAF employs to keep backcountry airstrips safe and desirable at minimal expense to public entities. Help support North Fox Island and other RAF projects by making your contribution today.

The Recreational Aviation Foundation is a public 501(c)3 non-profit organization formed to “preserve, maintain and create public use recreational and backcountry airstrips nationwide,” 1711 W. College St., Bozeman, MT 59715, www.theraf.org.

Pictured on the ground at North Fox Island is RAF director Rol Murrow's Cessna 172 (attached) and another great picture of North Fox Island from the air.

Recreational Aviation Foundation
1711 West College Street
Bozeman, MT 59715-4913
United States
406-582-1RAF (406-582-1723)
theraf.org

Join Team RAF!

RAF Mission:
“Keeping the legacy of recreational aviation strong by preserving, maintaining and creating public use recreational and backcountry airstrips nationwide

This is so cool! The runway looks great, this picture was attached to the RAF e-mail:
attachment.php

Thank you all, who made this happen! :yes:

Attachments

• Runway_Small.jpg
    Runway_Small.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 184
...and it was freshly mowed yesterday.

Ask me how I know.:lol:

I thought Johnson was trying to buy North Fox..?? The guy is a dick. I've been into South Fox many times.

You guys are great! That runway looks very nice. I expected a scrubby clearing with the weeds chopped back a bit. Looks like a place one could get away for awhile.

I thought Johnson was trying to buy North Fox..?? The guy is a dick. I've been into South Fox many times.

North Fox was purchased by real estate magnate David V. Johnson in 1994 for $1.3 million, and the entire island was sold back to the state of Michigan for $2.2 million at the end of the year 2000.

Johnson built a paved runway and a residence on South Fox. He had originally proposed swapping North Fox Island with the state for the third of South Fox that he did not own, but he settled in 2003 for a consolidation deal which traded 218 acres (88 ha) of state owned land on the southern part of South Fox for 219 acres (89 ha) on the north and central parts of the same island. This deal was finalized in March 2003.

Last edited:
Back