Southwest doesn't give stars 1st class treatment

It's not just the breeze. Bill's been on several Mad Dogs where one of the back lavs flooded into the aisle. Bill was very glad he was seated in row 3.

:vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:

Andrew will take the electrical fire over the North Atlantic over that one. :lightning:

Cheers,

-Andrew

Well, Bill just booked two flights on Southwest. The fare was 25+% cheaper than AA/DL/NW/CO, and the flights are direct to boot (as opposed to a 1+ hour layover in DFW/ATL/DTW-MEM/EWR-IAH). Bill will spend the time that he would otherwise layover to sleep in his own bed, instead of getting up to catch a 5:45-6:00 AM flight, he gets to catch an 8:30 flight.

Bill thinks that makes up for forgoing the 0 - 50% chance of an upgrade on the other airlines.

Ghery has the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 headset. Pricy, but works well. Engine noise is eliminated completely. They are very good for listening to music, as well.

Did Ghery get those for free from AA during one of their promotions? Scott missed both chances to get one from them for free and Scott is still unhappy about it. :mad::mad:

Well, Bill just booked two flights on Southwest. The fare was 25+% cheaper than AA/DL/NW/CO, and the flights are direct to boot (as opposed to a 1+ hour layover in DFW/ATL/DTW-MEM/EWR-IAH). Bill will spend the time that he would otherwise layover to sleep in his own bed, instead of getting up to catch a 5:45-6:00 AM flight, he gets to catch an 8:30 flight.

Bill thinks that makes up for forgoing the 0 - 50% chance of an upgrade on the other airlines.

But Bill will accept getting an entire free round trip anywhere after 8 round trips....and a bunch of free drink coupons, too.

Bill actually thinks the MD coach section is a bit better than that of a 7x7, if for no reason other than it has one side of the cabin as 2-across, reducing the liklihood of a dreaded middle seat. However, the back 10 rows of a Mad Dog are putrid and Bill never wants to sit there, unless the alternative is the rear end of a CRJ.

Kent thinks MD's are just fine when flown by Midwest Airlines, because then there is a zero percent chance of a middle seat. Kent likes Midwest's 2x2 MD's. And the cookies too. :)

Kent really hopes that takeover of Midwest doesn't happen. If Midwest went away, Kent would be really sad. Not that Kent ever flies the airlines any more anyway. :D

Kent thinks MD's are just fine when flown by Midwest Airlines, because then there is a zero percent chance of a middle seat. Kent likes Midwest's 2x2 MD's. And the cookies too. :)

Kent really hopes that takeover of Midwest doesn't happen. If Midwest went away, Kent would be really sad. Not that Kent ever flies the airlines any more anyway. :D

Bill agrees. Bill is sad that Midwest replaced their San Antonio Signature service with CRJ's* as of May 1.

*CRJ=Crappy regional jet, crowded regional jet, cramped regional jet, etc.

Did Ghery get those for free from AA during one of their promotions? Scott missed both chances to get one from them for free and Scott is still unhappy about it. :mad::mad:

No, Ghery did not know about that. Ghery bought two pair (10% off the second pair) a couple years ago at DEN. Ghery knew that if he bought only one and his wife was traveling with him, he wouldn't be wearing them. Ghery does think ahead now and then. :D

CRJ = one hell of a lot nicer than the ATR-72's that normally service CHA.

Bill thinks cramming ones 6' frame into a CRJ seat is OK if the flight is less than about an hour.

Bill thinks a 2 to 2-1/2 hour (or longer) CRJ flight is like being stuffed in a fetal position into a barrel and waiting for a couple of hours to travel down Niagra Falls. This is one reason Bill will take a Southwest 737 nonstop to BWI as opposed to a nonstop United RJ to Dulles or a Midwest CRJ via Kansas City.

Bill will gladly, however, ride in a Citation for that length of trip should it be offered to him

When it comes to CRJs Scott is impressed with Horizon albeit those are turbo-props for the most part. What Scott likes most about Horizon is the microbrew of the month that is offered to passengers for free. Scott like microbrews a lot!

eatin' burritos again? :D

He was probably down at Chili's eatin' fajitas again. I've never met someone who can talk AS MUCH as I can (and I never stop talking) and can still clear down a whole platter of them faster than I finished my burger.

Spike is what we call "Special"...

:rofl:

Cheers,

-Andrew

When it comes to CRJs Scott is impressed with Horizon albeit those are turbo-props for the most part. What Scott likes most about Horizon is the microbrew of the month that is offered to passengers for free. Scott like microbrews a lot!

Ghery likes Horizon, too, but anywhere he might take them he can drive almost as fast (when you factor in the drive to the airport and getting there 2 hours before flight time, etc) or beat handily by flying himself (for less money in both cases).

Also known as "Jurasic-Jet" ;-)

Andrew will speak on Bill's behalf: MD-8x series.

Andrew once had an upgrade clear and then get taken away from him when flying on a Y-Up fare, and Andrew got stuck in 32F when a full-fare Y class came on board.

32F for 3 hours is like sitting in a rotting latrine, mid summer, for 3 hours... shudder.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Last week Mark had a very pleasant experience aluminum death tube experience. Arrived appropriately early to the departure airport and while waiting at the gate a earlier flight to Charlotte was getting ready to depart. I was asked if I wanted to hop the earlier flight. Yep.

Arrived in Charlotte and walked to the gate to return to Raleigh and found a plane that was late departing - walked up to the gate agent and asked if any seats were available. She said sure and handed me a boarding pass for first class. Two minutes later we boarded. Arrived into Raleigh 3 hours early.

Got home and Agatha was in a good mood.

Truly a magnificent day and one I don't anticipate repeating ever again in my life.:rofl:

Last week Mark had a very pleasant experience aluminum death tube experience. Arrived appropriately early to the departure airport and while waiting at the gate a earlier flight to Charlotte was getting ready to depart. I was asked if I wanted to hop the earlier flight. Yep.

Arrived in Charlotte and walked to the gate to return to Raleigh and found a plane that was late departing - walked up to the gate agent and asked if any seats were available. She said sure and handed me a boarding pass for first class. Two minutes later we boarded. Arrived into Raleigh 3 hours early.

Got home and Agatha was in a good mood.

Truly a magnificent day and one I don't anticipate repeating ever again in my life.:rofl:

The flights, or Agatha in a good mood? :D

Ducks, and runs in alternating directions to throw off her aim. :D :D

Serpentine! Serpentine!

Bill's mailing tube experience was not nearly so good. Arrived this morning to find the first flight overbooked and gate agent asking for volunteers. Flight at next gate to Chicago was being de-boarded immediately after boarding because they "had to shut off all power to the ship" but it "shouldn't be off for more than 20 minutes". Bill boarded on time and was pushed back on time - then sat in the penalty box for 20 minutes because "Houston airspace is saturated and they're demanding 30 miles in trail" for all departures from SAT. Lovely. Bill had 50 minute connections at DFW to a slave ship - and most of those do not have the expanded overhead bins (Bill is booked in an exit/bulkhead so all bags must go up top). Oh yes, the TSA is gate-ransacking passengers at SAT, and even pulled aside some of those deboarded from the Chicago flight.

Bill's second flight left on-time, but had the overly-talkative pilot, who made a point of saying "it's all about me" (I will, though, give him credit for announcing Rule 1: be nice to the cabin crew, even if he did later say that they would be nicer to him if we did). Nice.

He also told us that we would be late due to headwinds.

Horsepuckey. We were 25 minutes late because ATC routed us from DFW over ATL then up to BWI. Bill is glad that there is Flightaware to keep the crews honest. Bill did find the flight attendant to be very pleasant and very, very easy on the eyes.

Bill was glad to finally be off that plane.

Serpentine! Serpentine!

Bill's mailing tube experience was not nearly so good. Arrived this morning to find the first flight overbooked and gate agent asking for volunteers. Flight at next gate to Chicago was being de-boarded immediately after boarding because they "had to shut off all power to the ship" but it "shouldn't be off for more than 20 minutes". Bill boarded on time and was pushed back on time - then sat in the penalty box for 20 minutes because "Houston airspace is saturated and they're demanding 30 miles in trail" for all departures from SAT. Lovely. Bill had 50 minute connections at DFW to a slave ship - and most of those do not have the expanded overhead bins (Bill is booked in an exit/bulkhead so all bags must go up top). Oh yes, the TSA is gate-ransacking passengers at SAT, and even pulled aside some of those deboarded from the Chicago flight.

Bill's second flight left on-time, but had the overly-talkative pilot, who made a point of saying "it's all about me" (I will, though, give him credit for announcing Rule 1: be nice to the cabin crew, even if he did later say that they would be nicer to him if we did). Nice.

He also told us that we would be late due to headwinds.

Horsepuckey. We were 25 minutes late because ATC routed us from DFW over ATL then up to BWI. Bill is glad that there is Flightaware to keep the crews honest. Bill did find the flight attendant to be very pleasant and very, very easy on the eyes.

Bill was glad to finally be off that plane.
Mike is amazed and impressed that Bill can stand that.

Mike thinks the airline should blame all of those slots being used by the GA freeloaders for the bad routing.

Ken is considering mailing a copy of this thread to Dr. Phil. He believes there is an excellent show topic within! :)

The convergence of all those things. :D :blueplane: :D :goofy:

Back