Discontinuance of World Aeronautical Charts

Jim Logajan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Hadn't seen this previously mentioned here, so:

https://www.federalregister.gov/art...ontinuance-of-world-aeronautical-chart-series

"This notice announces the FAA's decision to discontinue providing the World Aeronautical Chart series. Technological advances in aviation navigation capabilities and charting products have made the World Aeronautical Chart series largely obsolete. Charting customers have shifted towards digital chart products. The World Aeronautical Charts are a derivative product from our more detailed Sectional Aeronautical Chart series. With aviators using the more detailed large scale Sectional Aeronautical Charts and often the digital versions in the moving map technology found in modern electronic flight bag system, the World Aeronautical Charts are no longer needed. The discontinuance of this low-demand product allows the FAA to apply those resources to continue to modernize charting for safe and efficient navigation."

https://www.federalregister.gov/art...ontinuance-of-world-aeronautical-chart-series

"This notice announces the FAA's decision to discontinue providing the World Aeronautical Chart series. Technological advances in aviation navigation capabilities and charting products have made the World Aeronautical Chart series largely obsolete. Charting customers have shifted towards digital chart products. The World Aeronautical Charts are a derivative product from our more detailed Sectional Aeronautical Chart series. With aviators using the more detailed large scale Sectional Aeronautical Charts and often the digital versions in the moving map technology found in modern electronic flight bag system, the World Aeronautical Charts are no longer needed. The discontinuance of this low-demand product allows the FAA to apply those resources to continue to modernize charting for safe and efficient navigation."

But they make great wallpaper!

I am surprised it took this long. I loved WACs, but only for basic flight planning purposes (like: hey, how far away is this?), and for hanging up on the wall.

They were outdated before digital charts came around.

When I learned to fly it was generally said that if your usual flying was 180 mph or more, use the WAC charts; otherwise use sectionals. Of course airspace was not nearly so complicated then.

In the pre-digital age, though, I got by for most trips with WAC charts and those little brown "Flight Guide" books.

So what about the caribbean? no sectionals for that...

I hate to see them go. Where I live I am at the junction of three Sectionals. Plus, if you fly a fast plane you just zip through sectionals so fast. Once I got Foreflight, I would at least always have the WAC's for backup. Fewer charts to buy.

Wells

I flew all over the USA with Howie Keefes Atlas style WACs all in one book. STill carry it in the back of my airplane.

I hate to see them go. Where I live I am at the junction of three Sectionals. Plus, if you fly a fast plane you just zip through sectionals so fast. Once I got Foreflight, I would at least always have the WAC's for backup. Fewer charts to buy.

Wells

I'm in the "used them for planning" crowd. They really lack sufficient detail for good VFR navigation.

We have a small stack of them which keeps us legal for the times we may be flying VFR. We formerly used the bound Air Chart Atlas (I think that's what it was called) until it was discontinued. Wonder what they will come up with now. Hope it's not a large stack of sectionals...

Wells

Keep your old WACs and correct them by hand like nautical charts. Not much changes, and you will be able to scan and reprint at any shop with an A-1 or A-0 printer. You can probably get the direct current raster file for free somewhere. If there is demand, likely a third party provider will take them up. If not maintaining one for private use if you want one won't be difficult or particularly expensive.

Welcome to your new FAA, charging more and providing less each daily.

Welcome to your new FAA, charging more and providing less each daily.

Actually, the FAA is providing better digital products now, and that's what most pilots want.

With declining sales of the paper products, something's got to go.

Actually, the FAA is providing better digital products now, and that's what most pilots want.

With declining sales of the paper products, something's got to go.

Not how I view it.

Why can't they do both?

Let's see some numbers, let's see a pie chart of where the money REALLY goes.

Now days every business I see is having to provide MORE for LESS, the FAA needs to be held to the same standard, at least provide a little more for the SAME, maybe eliminate some pensions, or have a massive pay cuts if they don't want to serve their boss (us) and preform.

Now days every business I see is having to provide MORE for LESS, the FAA needs to be held to the same standard,

In fact Aeronav has been improving its efficiency. Excerpt from the FAA's FY2016 budget proposal:

For example, the development time required for a new Instrument Flight Procedure was reduced from 132 labor hours in FY 2006 to 104 hours by FY 2011, the amendment time for an existing Instrument Flight Procedure was reduced from 46 labor hours to 27 hours, the procedure NOTAM generation time was reduced from ½ labor hour to ¼ labor hour, and the obstacle evaluation time was reduced from ½ labor hour to 3/8 hour. These efficiency gains are multiplied by the hundreds and thousands of these products produced on an annual basis.

http://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/FY2016-BudgetEstimate-FAA.pdf

Back