Gaston's Fly In 2015 - October 8-11th

If you have a stol type airplane you can pull off either direction. I have seen it done.

I was going to say that, too, but I also have no plans to attempt it in mine without one hellacious steady headwind out of the west and taxing all the way down to the far end and as far off the edge as I could.

The real problem isn't that the airplane couldn't do it, it's the utterly crappy options for an abort or an engine out going that direction. And that's assuming you clear the power lines. ;)

I have not been to 6Y9-er (yet), but from what I have seen, the trees are the principal factor, and it sure looks to me like El Con has done a fine job of land-acquisition and chainsaw-engineering the problem to modest proportions.

Gaston's need not be dangerous - you must understand the terrain and its limitations, of course, and have a plan. Pay attention (it's one way in, one way out, so maintain awareness of who's where).

On departure, the engine failure plan is runway, then pasture, then the river.

On approach, fly between the trees (plenty of room) and don't land long or hot. Good field, plenty of length. If you're too fast, make the go-around call early to avoid any issue with the rising terrain and wires to the west.
You going to fix that this year? It's the tenth time they have had the event. Notice the careful wording.

I haven't made the trip to Gastons yet but other than the DA can't imagine it being any more challenging than 6Y9, thoughts?

They each have their own challenges, but I think 3M0 is more challenging:

6Y9:
Very limited abort options
Shorter

3M0:
Fly between trees while flaring
One-way
Lots of terrain and power lines in the area
Much harder to find, and hard to see in the pattern

I don't find 6Y9 to be all that challenging - It's a pretty standard grass strip, albeit surrounded by trees. Gaston's is a bit more unique and challenging, IMO.

For the record I found 6y9 to be a non issue flown correctly. On departure to the west I was about 100 FT by the pilot shack

3M0:

Fly between trees while flaring

One-way

Lots of terrain and power lines in the area

Much harder to find, and hard to see in the pattern

I honestly didn't find 3MO to be much of a challenge, either to find, nor to land on. The slight need for a turn during approach between trees might bug the "square pattern" folks, I guess.

I had to add a significant gob of power to taxi to the far end upon first arrival when I landed conservatively short at the leading edge of the grass. I didn't bother landing that short after that.

There's also at least one forum member who's operated a King Air into and out of there without any drama.

I have found that Gastons is much less challenging that Thunder ridge where you have to be close to the roof of his hangar, and then between those trees, and try to get it down before the runway goes over the hill and down hill.

Attachments

• 30883_759821619390_2044004_n.jpg
    30883_759821619390_2044004_n.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 16
I have found that Gastons is much less challenging that Thunder ridge where you have to be close to the roof of his hangar, and then between those trees, and try to get it down before the runway goes over the hill and down hill.

45AR; that's really close to Gaston's! You need prior permission to land there, and it's not maintained April-August. AIRNAV NOTES

Here's a video of landing at Thunder Ridge.

45AR; that's really close to Gaston's! You need prior permission to land there, and it's not maintained April-August. AIRNAV NOTES

Here's a video of landing at Thunder Ridge.

Last time I was at Gastons I landed there numerous times on that Sat. I got prior permission and the wind was out of the south so I had to land the opposite way as in this video. I want to do it again. some were complaining they didn't get to go they went on a poker run instead.:yes:

Anyone going who would have room for two in an airplane to gastons? Preferably from somewhere near a major airline hub.

I'm a good autopilot and Brie is nice to look at. Would like to stay for the duration and have no qualms coming in a day or two early.

Possible I may have room, David - not sure who's going, yet.

DFW certainly qualifies as a "major airline hub."

I haven't made it to any fly-ins in a couple years, and I would absolutely love to see everyone again.

I'd love to be there just to see David's face when his woman is told the only thing he could find to say about her was that "she is nice to look at". Not certain whether she'd be more pi$$ed at the bad grammar or the description. I've used similar verbiage to describe some of the artwork adorning the walls of the Steinholme.

I'd love to be there just to see David's face when his woman is told the only thing he could find to say about her was that "she is nice to look at". Not certain whether she'd be more pi$$ed at the bad grammar or the description. I've used similar verbiage to describe some of the artwork adorning the walls of the Steinholme.

I could write a whole book about her, if I had a way to put my feelings into words.

David, I might have room in the Skylane. We'll know more as we get closer to the date.

Andrew, I could possibly pick you up too at your school's field like we did last year.

What's this "no better way to go" crap in regards to Bonanzas?

Anyone going who would have room for two in an airplane to gastons? Preferably from somewhere near a major airline hub.

I'm a good autopilot and Brie is nice to look at. Would like to stay for the duration and have no qualms coming in a day or two early.

The important question is, "What does she smell like?"

If I am reading this right, Dave is going to join the mile high club in Spike's Bonanza.

So, somebody gonna start a list of whose going to GAstons in October? I don't do that kind of thing so I will defer to someone else. I will say, however, our plan is to be there in our Cessna 170. We have not yet booked a room however. Hopefully Greg can make his schedule work so we can be there Thursday evening for the gathering party.

So, somebody gonna start a list of whose going to GAstons in October? I don't do that kind of thing so I will defer to someone else. I will say, however, our plan is to be there in our Cessna 170. We have not yet booked a room however. Hopefully Greg can make his schedule work so we can be there Thursday evening for the gathering party.

Don't you mean Greg's? :D :rofl:

Oh man, I'm gonna get a beat down when I show up. :yikes:

Also, when did you get that? I must have missed it.

Don't you mean Greg's? :D :rofl:

Oh man, I'm gonna get a beat down when I show up. :yikes:

Also, when did you get that? I must have missed it.

Last November. Yes you did miss that. It was Tom Downey's restoration.

And yes, you WILL get beaten down for that comment. :rofl:

We couldn't make it before Friday evening. We'll see how it turns out...

Anyone else get the feeling the Belding video was posted as a punishment?

David, I might have room in the Skylane. We'll know more as we get closer to the date.

Andrew, I could possibly pick you up too at your school's field like we did last year.

There's always room in a Skylane. You just have to make it lots of one hour legs for fuel. :)

What is the nearest paved runway option @ Gastons?

KBPK - nice airport, courtesy car is a Ford Mustang. :)

Back