Sports license with dui

so if I walk in and say hey lets teach me to fly sport what will they ask for?
They will certainly ask for proof of US citizenship, but beyond that, it's up to the flight school.

I could do 103 or fly my rc plane above the clouds if its best to wait
I suppose you could do that, but if the FAA catches you, you can expect additional trouble with them beyond the DUI history. They don't much care for people operating RC aircraft beyond visual range of the operator and in places where "real" aircraft might be operating, especially in the clouds. OTOH, if you want to fly ultralights (Part 103), you're free to do that right now.

rules say hold a vaild drivers license, nothing else
They actually say more than that. You might want to read them again, along with the FAA's stated positions on a history of alcohol abuse such as your three DUI's within the last ten years -- even by Sport Pilots.

I'm very interested in ultra lights just might want a passenger
There is no such thing as a 2-seat ultralight. See the definition of "ultralight vehicle" in Part 103 of the regulations.
Sec. 103.1

Applicability.

This part prescribes rules governing the operation of ultralight vehicles in the United States. For the purposes of this part, an ultralight vehicle is a vehicle that:
(a) Is used or intended to be used for manned operation in the air by a single occupant;
(b) Is used or intended to be used for recreation or sport purposes only;
(c) Does not have any U.S. or foreign airworthiness certificate; and
(d) If unpowered, weighs less than 155 pounds; or
(e) If powered:
(1) Weighs less than 254 pounds empty weight, excluding floats and safety devices which are intended for deployment in a potentially catastrophic situation;
(2) Has a fuel capacity not exceeding 5 U.S. gallons;
(3) Is not capable of more than 55 knots calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight; and
(4) Has a power-off stall speed which does not exceed 24 knots calibrated airspeed.

Yep, that's why they came up with SP. in reality, I have seen no mention in the SP regs regarding DUI history, and the FAA has taken a very 'hands off' position on everything to do with SP & LSA, so I suspect you will be fine when you get your regular license back, I just can't be sure because as I said, I lack information regarding precedent.
The FAA is not "fine" with alcohol abuse by Sport Pilots, and Sport Pilots are subject to all the same rules in Parts 61 and 91 of the regulations regarding alcohol and drugs. Henning admits he doesn't know the rules regarding a Sport Pilot application with a history of DUI, and neither do I. As I suggested earlier, contact Dr. Bruce Chien, who does know how that plays out.

If you are very interested in ultralights, but would like to be able to take passengers, take a look at the Quicksilver MXII. I used to fly one on amphib floats, way much fun to fly, nice price.
Nothing including that Quicksilver has been legal to fly as an ultralight under Part 103 with a passenger for a very long time.

Alright so I won't even go for it until I get my normal license back so I don't run into any problems with medical.
Unless you talk with Bruce, you won't know if your DUI's will be a problem when you submit your Sport Pilot application at the end of training.
One more question I can't get an answer for, can you have retractable gear with a sport license because we have a huge lake and I hear you can't have retracts. I'm eying up the icon a5
LSA's can be designed for amphibious operation. See 14 CFR 1.1.

I hear Trump promises hairpieces will be covered under Trumpcare after he fires Congress and rewrites the laws including the Constitution.:lol:

Well if they are free I'll get one whether I need it or not! :D

Yes sir iHening but you have to have a license to take someone with you, I'm checking out the mxII now

Correct, and the MXII is no longer under Pt 103, it was one of the craft that LSA was adopted to give a legal standing to. You need a SP certificate (or higher) to fly it. The MX is the single seat version that still operates under 103. Both are available on amphibious floats (can land on water or land) and are about as much fun as you can have flying.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall when he calls Dr. Bruce.
If he starts telling Bruce what he posted here about his excuses for his DUI's, it will be a very short conversation.

To wannafly: If you call Bruce, be prepared to be humble and apologetic about your past, and evince a sincere attitude towards changing your life style and maintaining sobriety. If your use of the word "sponsor" in one of your posts is a hint that you're in a 12-step program to stay sober, be sure to mention that to Bruce and advise him of your progress -- that will go a long way towards obtaining his assistance. But if you start blaming your 3 DUI's on two local cops, he's going to hang up on you and let you find your own way towards flying without his help.

I'm not sure Bruce will know the exact stuff on SP, it's not his ballpark. He does medical certification which doesn't apply here. If he wants an answer, he's going to have to go to the FAA for it.

Correct, and the MXII is no longer under Pt 103, it was one of the craft that LSA was adopted to give a legal standing to. You need a SP certificate (or higher) to fly it.
You also need either Sport Pilot privileges or PP (or higher) ratings for both land and sea airplanes to operate one on both land and water -- your instructor can explain how that works.

You also need either Sport Pilot privileges or PP (or higher) ratings for both land and sea airplanes to operate one on both land and water -- your instructor can explain how that works.

Yep, but if you have an amphib, you end up with both anyway, even in bigger planes as well. I did my SE Commercial Land and Seaplane rides at the same time in a Lake.

I'm not sure Bruce will know the exact stuff on SP, it's not his ballpark. He does medical certification which doesn't apply here. If he wants an answer, he's going to have to go to the FAA for it.
First, DUI's are an issue for no-medical pilots as well as those required to hold a medical, and the procedure for reporting a DUI is the same for both, as are the FAA's general processes for handling such cases. In any event, I'm certain Bruce either knows the answers to his questions off the top of his head or is on a first-name/speed-dial basis with the FAA person who does, and that's why contacting Bruce is the way to go.

First, DUI's are an issue for no-medical pilots as well as those required to hold a medical, and the procedure for reporting a DUI is the same for both, as are the FAA's general processes for handling such cases. In any event, I'm certain Bruce either knows the answers to his questions off the top of his head or is on a first-name/speed-dial basis with the FAA person who does, and that's why contacting Bruce is the way to go.

I don't think this guy should be talking to Bruce, I think he may give Bruce an aneurism, and I like Bruce.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yep, but if you have an amphib, you end up with both anyway, even in bigger planes as well.
No, you don't, unless you take a second practical test for the other landing surface, and it's entirely possible one would not be doing that back-to-back.

I did my SE Commercial Land and Seaplane rides at the same time in a Lake.
That's certainly possible (I did my ATP ASEL and AMEL ratings in a back-to-back session), but it still requires that both ratings/privileges be accomplished.

I don't think this guy should be talking to Bruce, I think he may give Bruce an aneurism, and I like Bruce.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
He's certainly not going to get a reliable answer on how the FAA will deal with his DUI when he submits his 8710-11 from either of us, so (all kidding aside) if you don't think Bruce is the right person, who would you suggest?

No, you don't, unless you take a second practical test for the other landing surface, and it's entirely possible one would not be doing that back-to-back.

That's certainly possible (I did my ATP ASEL and AMEL ratings in a back-to-back session), but it still requires that both ratings/privileges be accomplished.

Yeah, which everyone does. Nobody is stupid enough not to.

He's certainly not going to get a reliable answer on how the FAA will deal with his DUI when he submits his 8710-11 from either of us, so (all kidding aside) if you don't think Bruce is the right person, who would you suggest?

As I said before, the FAA is the source for this information, call the FSDO, they are the official point of contact to answer questions of this type.

You checked that with the Airman Registry, or is that just your guess as someone who's never sent anyone for a practical test?

If you send someone for a practical in an amphib and don't send them for both... Wow, just wow, you'd have to be trying to waste their money.

As I said before, the FAA is the source for this information.
OK, then -- whom should he call? Or just call FAA HQ and ask the operator? As I said before, Bruce is the one person I know of who can and will provide a reliable answer probably on the spot. If you have another name (or even a specific FAA office) who can do that, let's hear that name and phone number.

If you send someone for a practical in an amphib and don't send them for both... Wow, just wow, you'd have to be trying to waste their money.
When you get your CFI ticket and start sending people for practical tests, you do it that way. And be sure to never give anyone training anywhere that there aren't both surfaces and examiners for both ratings available -- think Minnesota in the winter.

OK, then -- whom should he call? Or just call FAA HQ and ask the operator? As I said before, Bruce is the one person I know of who can and will provide a reliable answer probably on the spot. If you have another name (or even a specific FAA office) who can do that, let's hear that name and phone number.

I would call the region's FSDO, they will have the exact information, and whomever answers the phone will be able to provide the exact number. I would think all Bruce will do is refer him to an FAA number as well, because this isn't his ballywick.

He probably needs to speak to the FAA Security and Investigations Division (405-954-4848). They're the one who conduct investigations of alcohol and motor vehicle related issues.

I also suspect his call to Bruce won't last more than 45 seconds, based on what he's written here.

He probably needs to speak to the FAA Security and Investigations Division (405-954-4848). They're the one who conduct investigations of alcohol and motor vehicle related issues.

I also suspect his call to Bruce won't last more than 45 seconds, based on what he's written here.

There you go, and yep on the call to Bruce.:rofl:

The FAA is not "fine" with alcohol abuse by Sport Pilots, and Sport Pilots are subject to all the same rules in Parts 61 and 91 of the regulations regarding alcohol and drugs. Henning admits he doesn't know the rules regarding a Sport Pilot application with a history of DUI, and neither do I. As I suggested earlier, contact Dr. Bruce Chien, who does know how that plays out.
Maybe, maybe not. Since SPs don't need a medical, it's not certain whether Bruce has ever had a need to know since it wouldn't come up in his usual practice. However, if anyone outside of the FAA is likely to know the answer, it's Bruce. :yes:

This fellow wants to "follow the rules" yet he has gotten drunk three times and gotten three DUIS. Not very mature thinking. How about insurance ? Or isn't insurance important?. I doubt if anyone will cover him. Andy has tried his best to reason with him but to no avail. Paris island might be in order.

Based off of his responses here it's pretty obvious to many of us..

OP: I'm not judging you. However, I asked where you live simply as I am hoping you don't live anywhere near where I fly my family.

I've made so many mistakes in my life I can't begin to comprehend what I was thinking. However, never had a DUI or arrest.... but is what it is...

Do yourself a favor and don't bother with Bruce. He has no tolerance for a guy like you. Good luck

How about the FAA Light Sport Aviation Branch? 405-954-6400. They seemed pretty human the last time I called.

Rich

I'm certain Dr Chien does know the answer because there isn't one for SP. There is nothing for him to do other than say "as a doctor I recommend that you get help". It sounds like there is a life problem that needs be dealt with, but

I'm certain Dr Chien does know the answer because there isn't one for SP. There is nothing for him to do other than say "as a doctor I recommend that you get help". It sounds like there is a life problem that needs be dealt with, but

:yes:

Wow, was I distracted when I posted this.

...but it doesn't impact either the medical self-certification of a SP or nor the application to be a SP.

If people think about what they're saying, it boils down to "This person needs help and I don't think they shouldn't be flying, so I'm going to see how the FAA can keep them from flying." So now there's a suggestion that the FAA might do a background check when the SP certificate is applied for and deny it based on the background check because they (FAA) don't like a lifestyle choice.

What's next? Should one be denied because there was a drug conviction in the past, a felony, misdemeanor, traffic ticket? How about if they're a different kind of addict, maybe a child abuser or have OCD? (which should have the letters in order and be CDO) Straight, gay, something in between? Perhaps they should be denied for being Christian, a veteran (aka right wing terrorist) or because they don't pray before a flight. Is anyone really suggesting the FAA should be able to apply a personal judgement about lifestyle in order to prevent a pilot from flying?

It does get tricky if the sp med standard is drivers plus no history of X.

I know of no medical reason in my state to lose your drivers license. Your eyes get tested when you first get it, but for most people that is many years ago. If there is a reason I'm unaware.
Now, losing your drivers license due to a DUI is very real. I wonder if DUI is the main focus behind the license in lieu of medical??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back