Private Finish Up Training in the Bay Area

neilki

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
neilki
Hi folks, a student of mine is relocating to San Fransisco. She'll be living Downtown/Mission district.
We're about 20 hours into her training, i'd appreciate suggestions on a school. airport & a handover to a friendly CFI. PM or reply all as you see fit.
Thanks in advance
neilki

Sadly, she is going to be a distance from any airport, but one of the closest training outfits and the one I can recommend is, Oakland Flyers at KOAK. Talk to Jim Grey and he can get her set up with one of their instructors. They have reasonable rates, the usual assortment of training type planes and a great laid back smaller town field feel at a big Class C airport.

oaklandflyers.com

(510) 568-3317

There are several outfits at San Carlos, but if she's commuting by BART (something I'd suggest if she lives in the Mission), Oakland is going to be much easier to get to. Oakland Flyers is just down the street from the rental car facility, but pretty far from the passenger terminal. Hayward and Concord are also possibilities, but the last mile or two sucks.

Sadly, the last airport in the City closed in the 70s, and it was never a civil airport.

Training at San Carlos offers the wonderful opportunity to flip off Larry Ellison at every takeoff or landing.

Last edited:
KAPC (Napa) is worthy of consideration too. It's further than CCR but in terms of time and ease to get there, it's probably about a wash (last mile sucks factor.) I understand Bridgeford is now renamed as the Napa Jet Center but it was a pretty good outfit.

I was at 28 hrs in LA and just started at San Carlos flight center. I've been extremely happy with the facility. Planes are extremely well maintained by their full time staff. The instructor I have Jeff Reeder has really raised the bar for me. My previous CFI told me I was almost ready for my check out. Now I realize how poorly prepared I was

I'm currently a student at Oakland Flyers and I've flown with a number of CFIs there - they've all been great! I drive over the bridge from the Inner Sunset and it is a solid 45 minute trip (plus traffic), but it's worth it in my estimation. As another poster mentioned, there's an elevated train that connects the airport with the nearest BART station, but it goes to the main terminal, not the north field, so you're in for a walk if you go that route.

Check out West Valley Flying Club: wvfc.org. Well-run non-profit flying club with 50 plus aircraft, lots of good instructors, good maintenance, and locations in San Carlos and Palo Alto.

Back