Headset - Time to make an order

Bman.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bman.
Hey all, I started my training about 2 months ago and I am up to about 9 hours. The training has been a lot of fun and I have had a good mix of weather conditions. The airfield I am doing my training is just outside of Class C airspace and I knew that we would be heading over there soon to get more traffic and to work with the controllers (local field is non-towered)

Up to this point, I took the advice given "wait, slow down... see what comes of your training before you drop a pile of cash on stuff that may never get used again". So I held off on everything but the plane, the CFI and the headsets in the plane. They are ANR (off brand) so I thought great, these will work for now. All of the flights had a lot of "Say again" and clarifications asked of the CFI. We finally trekked over to the "big airport" (seemed huge compared to my 50' wide home airport) and I had a relatively hard time understanding approach control and tower. I could hear them but not the way I expected.

I told my CFI, I am getting a headset - these are hindering my progress. My CFI was like great.. "Do you want to try my Bose or my Lightspeeds. I have both and leave sets in each airplane I fly at the field".

So yesterday, I said "give me the Bose" and we went out for pattern work. Immediately - amazing difference. It sounded like I was sitting in my car. Super quiet (PA-28-181) and the clarity was outstanding. Its safe to say that my flight yesterday was far improved and collected. Maybe I could think better, maybe I just passed a comfort milestone. Who is to say? Regardless, the headset was great and was never an issue which is what I want from a headset.

So with that being said, I am sitting here looking at my shopping cart with A20's loaded up and wondering "But what if there are others out there that do just as well but at a lesser cost?" - In other words, I am having a difficult time hitting submit order.

I figure I am getting closer to solo, ready for written exam and think to myself, why would I quit now and if I am not going to quit, why wouldn't I want a great headset from here on out? It sounds like my mind is made up.. is the price tag the hesitancy or not knowing if it's a dumb move to spend so much this early in the training or chump move to buy the name? The reviews are stellar. I won't need the bluetooth but would I in the next 10 years? Maybe..

What are your thoughts? What else should I check out? Lightspeed? Buy the Bose and prepare for the next flight? What else?

Benjamin

Try the Quiet Technologies Halo if you don't mind in-ear headsets. They're amazing, the sound is clear, the microphone is one of the best you'll find, and you'll forget you're wearing them during the flight. Also makes wearing hats or sunglasses a non-issue.

I have no doubt that some of the ultra high end ANR headsets get you overall more noise cancelling. But the Halos are certainly in a solid runner-up ANR status. And for less than a third the cost. 30 day period where you can return for no obligation, too.

Most the headset companies have 30 day return policies. One flight really isn't enough. Think about what the headset will feel like after 3-4 hours of flying. It's not just the sound quality you need to consider.

I like Bose and Lightspeed and have both. Bose is my favorite even though its more expensive.

The earcups are a little bigger on the Zulus. Try a few. Not all heads are the same.

Hey all, I started my training about 2 months ago and I am up to about 9 hours. The training has been a lot of fun and I have had a good mix of weather conditions. The airfield I am doing my training is just outside of Class C airspace and I knew that we would be heading over there soon to get more traffic and to work with the controllers (local field is non-towered)

Up to this point, I took the advice given "wait, slow down... see what comes of your training before you drop a pile of cash on stuff that may never get used again". So I held off on everything but the plane, the CFI and the headsets in the plane. They are ANR (off brand) so I thought great, these will work for now. All of the flights had a lot of "Say again" and clarifications asked of the CFI. We finally trekked over to the "big airport" (seemed huge compared to my 50' wide home airport) and I had a relatively hard time understanding approach control and tower. I could hear them but not the way I expected.

I told my CFI, I am getting a headset - these are hindering my progress. My CFI was like great.. "Do you want to try my Bose or my Lightspeeds. I have both and leave sets in each airplane I fly at the field".

So yesterday, I said "give me the Bose" and we went out for pattern work. Immediately - amazing difference. It sounded like I was sitting in my car. Super quiet (PA-28-181) and the clarity was outstanding. Its safe to say that my flight yesterday was far improved and collected. Maybe I could think better, maybe I just passed a comfort milestone. Who is to say? Regardless, the headset was great and was never an issue which is what I want from a headset.

So with that being said, I am sitting here looking at my shopping cart with A20's loaded up and wondering "But what if there are others out there that do just as well but at a lesser cost?" - In other words, I am having a difficult time hitting submit order.

I figure I am getting closer to solo, ready for written exam and think to myself, why would I quit now and if I am not going to quit, why wouldn't I want a great headset from here on out? It sounds like my mind is made up.. is the price tag the hesitancy or not knowing if it's a dumb move to spend so much this early in the training or chump move to buy the name? The reviews are stellar. I won't need the bluetooth but would I in the next 10 years? Maybe..

What are your thoughts? What else should I check out? Lightspeed? Buy the Bose and prepare for the next flight? What else?

Benjamin

Check out the lightspeeds, I have well over 2,000 hrs on my Zulu 1s, I have tracked em around the globe in a backpack, flown them in everything from little 7AC champs, to radial engine AG Cats, to turbine PC12s, great headsets and the company handles any issues very well (though I haven't had a single big issue, just worn pads). I prefer them to the Bose.

If your CFI has em, by all means give em a shot before you drop cash.

Try the lightspeeds and the bose with the ANR on and off. Make your decision and drive on.

On the other hand (just to complicate things) the cheap ASA headset with gel pads makes a really fine headset for shorter flights...I keep mine as back-ups to the lightspeeds and have used them when the lightspeeds crapped out.

Try the lightspeeds and the bose with the ANR on and off. Make your decision and drive on.

On the other hand (just to complicate things) the cheap ASA headset with gel pads makes a really fine headset for shorter flights...I keep mine as back-ups to the lightspeeds and have used them when the lightspeeds crapped out.

I just keep a spare pair of AAs taped together in the side pocket if my plane :dunno:

+1 for QT Halo. I tried the Bose and the Lightspeeds. Halo is so much more easy to transport and has great noise reduction. Can't beat the trial as well.

fyi, I have been seeing brand new Bose being sold on eBay lately for $799.00. Don't ask me for an explanation because I don't have one, but that's the second time I have seen a seller list multiple new headsets it in a month. I was tempted to buy but remain focused on picking up a good original Zulu for a few hundred less.

As a side note, been watching eBay headsets for the past several weeks and Zulu 2 sell for more the Bose A20 (no Blue) in the secondary market. Think that really makes a statement about which one pilots prefer.

Last edited:
I bought a set of Clarity Aloft in-ear's last year and love them. They work great in the high-noise environment of the T-34 or Yak as well as Cessna's, etc.

Lightweight and relatively inexpensive (~$500), with excellent sound quality and a mic that I get complimented on a lot - I am really very happy with them.

'Gimp

QT Halo or Clarity Aloft. Far superior to the much more expensive, bulkier, and heavier ANR headsets.

Of the two I'd pick the QT Halo over the Clarity Aloft just because they are less expensive (about $350). I've used the QT Halo in everything from a two-seat GA single to jet airline cockpits.

I haven't done a direct comparison with the competition, but we heartily recommend our Lightspeeds (I have a Sierra, and Mrs. P still likes her 20XLc, which is a discontinued model now). The company has outstanding customer service.

Hard to beat Halos! No more sweaty ears, no more noise with sunglasses where the cups don't seal over the frames, no more headaches after 2-3 hours' use.

Comes with foam inserts, but I prefer the silicone ones. They last a couple of years . . .

Quiet Technologies, maker of Halos, is owned by a pilot with a PhD in audiology. Even the microphone is superior, as well as the sound and comfort. Pretty easy to carry around, too, since they're small, light and come with with a case. Just don't forget to take them off before getting out of the plane.

The Bose or the Lightspeed are both fine units. If you don't mind earbuds, and wear glasses regularly flying (including sunglasses) Clarity Aloft and Halo headsets are also worth consideration. Excellent sound attenuation and no discomfort or degradation of sound attenuation caused by glasses.

I absolutely love my Halos. When I bought mine I looked on eBay but couldn't find any. Just so happens I set an alert and got a couple emails recently that new listings were posted. Not sure if they are still there but may be worth a check for someone.

So you think batteries are the only way ANR headsets fail?

My headset has more hours than most pilots on this board and it's never failed, minus running out of batteries, which is more of a annoyance than a failure.

I do take care of my equipment though, it's not babied but it's not beat up as it's a tool I use to make a living.

Thinking back, I don't recall ever hearing about someone's headset failing, as in going kaput.

If you're going down that road, spose more or less anything could fail on the plane, you keep a spare plane worth of parts in the back?

Just an FYI - the Bose A20 *does not* allow you to stream music over the bluetooth connection.

I have music streaming over Bluetooth onto my LightSpeed Zulu pretty much 90% of the time I fly. Absolute deal breaker for me.

My headset has more hours than most pilots on this board and it's never failed, minus running out of batteries, which is more of a annoyance than a failure.

I do take care of my equipment though, it's not babied but it's not beat up as it's a tool I use to make a living.

Thinking back, I don't recall ever hearing about someone's headset failing, as in going kaput.

If you're going down that road, spose more or less anything could fail on the plane, you keep a spare plane worth of parts in the back?

I had a problem with my first Lightspeed Zulu that started after I had put about 500 hours on it. From time to time the microphone would become incredibly insensitive and I'd have to damn near scream into it to break an intercom's squelch. It'd do this for about 20 minutes then go back to normal. I sent it back and they replaced the electronics and I've never had a problem since.

I have about 30 hours on the Halos and dollars to doughnuts you will not be disappointed. Get enough hours wearing head clamps and the QTs become that much more desirable.

They are delicate though, so you can't be tossing them around like an old set of DCs

Interesting that no one mentioned the new or not so new Faro headsets. I've thought of getting their ANR model and relegating my almost 20yr old ASA to pax service.

Thoughts?

I have the Zulu-2...nothing about them makes me wish I had tried another brand. I'm sure the same could be said if I had chose Bose or QT or any other high quality ANR headseat.

I just passed my private checkride last week, and as a gift to myself ordered the A20 with bluetooth. Did a 2.3 hr flight today, and after the flight was over, did not feel any discomfort at all from wearing them. Another nice thing with Bose is that if you order directly from them, you get their 12 months free "financing". No credit checks, they just withdraw roughly $90 from your debit or credit card of choice every month. But as others have said, every head is different, so see if you can try some different brands before you commit.

Well, they paid for the headset with the first card pull, so the financing doesn't cost them anything really.

I am looking for one best headsets ... I think so that its the right time to make an order for it.. The place from where I used to order my accessories , benificial for me in a sense that the financing never cost them anything really

How about these: http://www.thesquawkshoppe.com

They are ANR. I ordered 3 for my kids and wife because 3 x Bose @ $1k each was out of the question. Waiting on delivery but I had heard they are pretty good.

I am currently a happy user of first generation Zulus. Because I wanted to try something new and was lured by all the reports about the incredible comfort of the Halos, but also because I don’t like that my sunglasses tend to break the seal of the Zulus, I decided to order a set of Quiet Technologies Halos.

The Halos arrived two days ago. I like the case that comes with them and the variety of earplugs which were included. The latest version of the Halos is also equipped with a 3.5 mm connector for a MP3 player. I did not have a chance to fly with them yet, my first impression from trying them at home, was however positive. I connected them to my handheld radio and listened to NOAA weather radio. The audio sounded great (for amplitude modulation) and, as others already stated, I completely forgot that I wore them after a while, running around the house, looking silly, with the headset on. ;) While I forgot about the headset itself, I still felt the earplugs as they caused a little bit of discomfort. I however expect this minor irritation to go away, either with other earplugs or simply with some more time of getting used to them. As others also stated, the Halos appear to be more delicate than a conventional headset. I however don’t consider this as an issue, it simply means that they should be put back into the case, when not in use.

The customer service is great – Phil, the owner, is extremely responsive and answered the two questions, I had so far, within a few minutes. His response to my last question, whether I can bend the headband, without damaging it, because it is too wide for my wife’s head and slips off her ears, might actually also be of interest for others: The headset can not only be adjusted by pulling out the stainless steel wire on its right side - the headband is, according to Phil, ‘infinitely adjustable - just bend the headband into ANY shape or head size you want’.

I am already looking forward to my first flight with them. If I like them in the air as much as I did on the ground, I will sell my Zulus and keep the Halos instead. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Oliver

AKG AV100 headset is top notch. I bought a pair, they are super light. They don't clamp your head like it is in a vise. They ataman your music and phone calls over Bluetooth. They have little led lights for at night and the sound out of them is amazing.

No issues with my A20s. Didn't get the Bluetooth option, thought I could just plug my phone in. Don't think that's the case though. Can get sound through it but to get the mic working I think I needed the blue tooth.

Halos. I use them in an open cockpit airplane with 275hp radial and constant speed prop. A20 for passengers. Can't imagine anything else for more than a few minutes.

I've got a pair of low-end ANR headsets and in the past 6 years it's failed 3 times. The first time they repaired under warranty, the second time was at my cost, and now it's broken again. Each time it fails it is putting out a high-pitched squeal at a high-enough volume that I seriously concerned about long-term hearing damage. I'm considering throwing this headset in the trash, but I would like to know if anyone has experienced a similar failure in the premium headsets. Thanks.

+1 for QT Halo headsets. Wife and I both use them and can't imagine ever going back to headclamps......

How about these: http://www.thesquawkshoppe.com

They are ANR. I ordered 3 for my kids and wife because 3 x Bose @ $1k each was out of the question. Waiting on delivery but I had heard they are pretty good.

Agree for the price, these are good and worth a look. Had mine a year and love them and getting close to ordering a set for the wife, once she decides what color/design she wants

I just got my Halos in last week after flying with DCs. first flight was today... I will not be going back. The Halos were leaps and bounds better in sound quality, noise attenuation, and for general comfort.

I just got my Halos in last week after flying with DCs. first flight was today... I will not be going back. The Halos were leaps and bounds better in sound quality, noise attenuation, and for general comfort.

That's because the man who owns Quiet Technologies is a PhD Audiologist and a pilot. He knows what we need, and how to deliver it. I'm loving my Halos for > 5 years now.

Back