Shipping a treadmill, how can I get a good freight price?

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
I sold a 200lb treadmill and made an assumption based on what others are asking on ebay for shipping of $150-$200. I went with $200 for shipping. I have been getting quotes of $400-$800 to ship this thing I sold for $350. I can't believe it costs $400 to ship a damn treadmill from WV to Denver, CO. Anyone have any recommendations for freight companies that wont clean out my bank account?

The plane wont be able to takeoff w/ a treadmill on board.

How much does it weigh, can you put it on a pallet and have you talked to Fedex LTL?

Basically bid the job to the LTL handlers and see who can help you out. Put it on a pallet yourself and make sure it is well protected. The big box stores prolly have a few pallets around so you can scrounge one for free.

Try U-Ship.

I used them quite a few times up until about 2 years ago when I was getting a quote for hauling a pontoon boat across the country. This guy messages me and asks me to send him some weird details. I asked for his phone number thinking I could discuss it better over the phone. Apparently, asking for a phone number broke some stupid rule and they banned me from the site for like 30 days. I hadn't gone back their since. But in all honesty, I didn't think that would be an option. I used them for cars, heavy equipment and tractors and stuff. didn't think they bid on small things. I will look into it again.

Send me the weights and dimensions, to and from zip codes and I will get you a quote, for reference only. My guess is $275, minimum charge from LTL is about $100 and that is short distantance and low weight. I have a lot of negotiated rates with LTL carriers.

How much does it weigh, can you put it on a pallet and have you talked to Fedex LTL?

Basically bid the job to the LTL handlers and see who can help you out. Put it on a pallet yourself and make sure it is well protected. The big box stores prolly have a few pallets around so you can scrounge one for free.

225lbs. I did all the quotes as being on a pallet and loading it from a business but being delivered to a residence.

$725 to ship on Fedex

Send me the weights and dimensions, to and from zip codes and I will get you a quote, for reference only. My guess is $275, minimum charge from LTL is about $100 and that is short distantance and low weight. I have a lot of negotiated rates with LTL carriers.

Thanks, I would like to know what you come up with.

26330 to 80210
225lbs 50"x30"x60"

I buy and sell each day. I learned to sell small stuff out of town and big stuff local. You may be better off giving the buyer his money back.

225lbs. I did all the quotes as being on a pallet and loading it from a business but being delivered to a residence.

$725 to ship on Fedex

Ouch. I did pretty good with LTL from Denver to Calgary but I dropped it off at their terminal and delivery was to a business. The vendor shipped back with same carrier, Fedex LTL, so they were competitive for that market. Dunno who is competitive for eastern US to Colorado.

Those things go on craigslist. Drive a truck round nice suburbs and they can be had free. Glad you moved on cardio is dumb.

Just put the treadmill under the plane and you'll make it no worries. Promise.

I buy and sell each day. I learned to sell small stuff out of town and big stuff local. You may be better off giving the buyer his money back.

That's what I'd do.. If you still want to try and ship it, delivering it to a commercial address will knock a few hundred off of that cost. And look at a freight broker like u-ship, freighsaver, or freightquote. I used to use fedex fairly often at work but have been using freightsaver now for a few months, they always have lower rates than Fedex.

Can you break it down and ship it in a few separate boxes?

Thanks, I would like to know what you come up with.

26330 to 80210
225lbs 50"x30"x60"

Here is the quote I got on Yellow with my discounts on zip codes and dims you gave me. This is a business to business quote, residential will be higher and I also used a very common freight class for us, whether that is accurate or not is debatable for this shipment. Any way from Bridgeport WV to Denver is showing up as $142.95.

I personally like the advice of other people of just refunding the guys money as it is going to be a hassle. If you want to take advantage of cheaper rates find a broker who may or may not have better negotiated rates. Or find a local business you are friendly with and see if they can ship it for you, but if they don't do a lot of LTL you won't get the rate I got, I spend over a $1 million/year on LTL. You will most likely need to get to their terminal to avoid liftgate charges and residential PU fees and deliver to terminal only in Denver. Hope this was helpful.
Good luck.

I've used shipnex for packages and got decent rates from them as a broker. I see they'll do LTL truckload quotes.

That's what I'd do.. If you still want to try and ship it, delivering it to a commercial address will knock a few hundred off of that cost. And look at a freight broker like u-ship, freighsaver, or freightquote. I used to use fedex fairly often at work but have been using freightsaver now for a few months, they always have lower rates than Fedex.

I'll give them a try thanks..

Can you break it down and ship it in a few separate boxes?

Maybe, I need to see what I can do there.

Here is the quote I got on Yellow with my discounts on zip codes and dims you gave me. This is a business to business quote, residential will be higher and I also used a very common freight class for us, whether that is accurate or not is debatable for this shipment. Any way from Bridgeport WV to Denver is showing up as $142.95.

I personally like the advice of other people of just refunding the guys money as it is going to be a hassle. If you want to take advantage of cheaper rates find a broker who may or may not have better negotiated rates. Or find a local business you are friendly with and see if they can ship it for you, but if they don't do a lot of LTL you won't get the rate I got, I spend over a $1 million/year on LTL. You will most likely need to get to their terminal to avoid liftgate charges and residential PU fees and deliver to terminal only in Denver. Hope this was helpful.
Good luck.

Wow. That is a great price! What shipping class did you use?

Those things go on craigslist. Drive a truck round nice suburbs and they can be had free. Glad you moved on cardio is dumb.

I had it on ebay, so little late for that.

I've used shipnex for packages and got decent rates from them as a broker. I see they'll do LTL truckload quotes.

Thanks, I will see what they can do.

I sold a 200lb treadmill and made an assumption based on what others are asking on ebay for shipping of $150-$200. I went with $200 for shipping. I have been getting quotes of $400-$800 to ship this thing I sold for $350. I can't believe it costs $400 to ship a damn treadmill from WV to Denver, CO. Anyone have any recommendations for freight companies that wont clean out my bank account?

The people who quote $200 often have profit built in the price so they can take the hit on shipping.

I'll give them a try thanks..

Maybe, I need to see what I can do there.

Wow. That is a great price! What shipping class did you use?

I had it on ebay, so little late for that.

Thanks, I will see what they can do.

I used class 75, don't know where a treadmill is I relation to that.

This lady is probably giving her treadmill away, which will make a $400 freight fee seem pretty reasonable. You gotta be like her and just roll with the punches

Youtube

Put a flier up on the load board at your closest truck stop.

See what difference it makes to have it shipped to a terminal, held for pickup. You may take a hit for lift gate (usually $75-100) service to a residence. We always did at work until we bought a forklift.

Best deals come from drivers dead heading and trying to scrape together a back load. You should be able to get something arranged for $200.

Put a flier up on the load board at your closest truck stop.

:no: I can see it now.. "Call me if interested in taking an extra load in the rear" lol.. I'm sure to get some "good buddy's" to help me out. :rofl:

:no: I can see it now.. "Call me if interested in taking an extra load in the rear" lol.. I'm sure to get some "good buddy's" to help me out. :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Seriously though, every truck stop has a load board. "I have a 200lb treadmill and $200 to get it to XXX Colorado, can anyone help?" It'll get taken within a week. $200 when you have a load going that way and extra space in the back takes the kid to Six Flags or buys some whatever.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Seriously though, every truck stop has a load board. "I have a 200lb treadmill and $200 to get it to XXX Colorado, can anyone help?" It'll get taken within a week. $200 when you have a load going that way and extra space in the back takes the kid to Six Flags or buys some whatever.

I'm sure it's doable. I also think it has a high risk of getting lost.

Hmmmmm..

Never heard of a "load board"....

Interesting concept though...:rolleyes:

Typically right by the "Drivers Entrance", I used to grab stuff
Ike this when I was hauling for Quality Drive Away.

Might be a little late, but look into Conway Freight... Drop it off at there terminal and buyer picks it up from his local terminal...

I am using weslo cadence g 5.9 treadmill for last 10 years and got at a price of $208.So being an old i need to sold.As one of my friend suggest me to sell from one of the best online auctions sites and get a good price.

Greyhound

This...if you're on the bus routes this is a real cheap way of shipping things. I've had a recliner shipped that way. Of course, the local depot called me and asked if I could get down there right away because it pretty much filled up their baggage room.

Back