[NA]Apple Pay

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Any iPhone 6 and 6-plus owners here using Apple Pay?

As a merchant, I frequently get emails and direct mail about Apple Pay. But have yet to encounter anyone using it.

I've used it a couple of times at a gas station's c-store, when I was buying something besides fuel. It worked very well, was more convenient than getting out my debit card, but isn't a service that would make me choose one business over another.

Have it, but haven't used it yet. I think more because the places that accept are not as clearly marked, so I'm never sure. I do know that when I use the card I've attached to it I get an instant popup on the screen with the amount I just spent.

I use it at Panera all the time. SO stinking easy to pay. And I DO choose businesses for the convenience if all things are equal. Walgreen's or Rite-Aid? Walgreen's.

Hey I spent all that money on the iPhone 6, gotta get some use out of it!

I use it every place I go to that accepts it, in fact I discovered that Bj's club accepts Apple pay too even though it's not advertised.

The merchants that have it, is there signage saying they accept it?

For those who say they are using it, how comfortable are you WRT security of the card info in you phone, and using the system to make the payment?

For those who say they are using it, how comfortable are you WRT security of the card info in you phone, and using the system to make the payment?

My understanding is that there is no card info stored in the phone, only a token is used. I believe that there is official signage available.

JKG

For Walgreens it has it listed on the payment device, Petco and McDonald's etc were known via Apples website.

I prefer paying via Apple pay because it at least feels more secure. The payment is not done without your fingerprint, and the "card number" they receive is not the real card number....at least as far as I have noticed on receipts.

Used it once when I forgot my wallet. Remembered that I signed up for Apple pay, and it was quick and easy.

Apple Pay or Google Wallet?
Pro/Con?

Last edited:

As a merchant, I frequently get emails and direct mail about Apple Pay. But have yet to encounter anyone using it.

Used it a few times.

Seems to fix a problem I don't have. Whipping out a thin piece of plastic and swiping it, never seemed all that inconvenient.

Waiting on a gadget to read my fingerprint is way slower.

Totally comfortable. Level of worry about Apple Pay virtually nil vs telling someone a credit card number over the telephone. Even then, not that high on the life worry list.

Used it a few times.

Seems to fix a problem I don't have. Whipping out a thin piece of plastic and swiping it, never seemed all that inconvenient.

^^^^^^This

Same as above. Used it about 10 times, then forgot about it. Seemed either to be not much faster than paying normally, to still having to sign and hit buttons (looking at you walgreens) and 3 times it said Done on the phone with a check-mark and then the cashier telling me it didnt go through. Was never charged twice, but the worry was there. But if I have to pull out my phone or pull out my wallet, whats the advantage?

I am pretty sure you can order Apple Pay stickers to put on your door like you would with Amex, Visa.. here is the link https://www.applepaysupplies.com/applepaykit.html

Used it a few times.

I haven't used Apple Pay (nor Google Wallet) because I don't need yet another entity tracking my purchase habits so they can try to sell me ****, but I also acknowledge that there is a security advantage in using a token rather than transmitting one's actual credit card numbers. I say this as someone whose personal and/or financial information has been compromised at least six times (so far):

• The V.A. missing laptop debacle
  • The Adobe hack
  • The Target hack
  • The Food Town hack
  • The Home Depot hack
  • The Anthem hack

I also may have been caught up in the Citibank hack. I had no active accounts with Citibank at the time, but they still had information about me from old accounts on file. They don't think any of it would have been exposed, but they gave me a year of identity theft protection anyway. In fact, I've been given so many free years of identity theft protection that AllClearID daisy-chained my free memberships.

So I think the idea of using a token rather than a credit card number is a pretty good idea. The problem is that in addition to the data-mining aspect, using Apply Pay or Google Wallet requires that I entrust my credit card numbers and other personal information to yet another entity (Apple or Google), both of which become high-value targets for miscreants, and therefore represent additional vulnerabilities that I must accept as the cost of additional safety.

I also take little comfort in the companies' assurances that the information is encrypted and firewalled a bazillion different ways because somewhere within their systems exists the capability to utilize that firewalled, encrypted information to fund purchases; and until the companies can persuade me that they've figured out how to look into a person's soul as part of the pre-hire process, the possibility of an inside job still exists.

The only service of this kind that I might consider using would be one by PayPal if it ever is implemented by enough merchants to be worth the bother. The main reason is not so much because I trust PayPal any more than Apple or Google (although I do somewhat for reasons I'll mention shortly). It's mainly that PayPal already has my information because they are also my merchant processor, so there would be no additional exposure.

The reason I tend to have a bit more trust in PayPal is based on personal experience. In one of the hacks (the Food Town one), my PayPal business debit card was definitely compromised and actually used to make two expensive purchases. Because PayPal notifies me immediately (as in within ten seconds) whenever the card is used, I was able to call them on the telephone and report the unauthorized uses. Within literally minutes, they credited the amounts back to my account.

Because the card would have to be cancelled, they also offered to rig it to allow one additional use of the compromised card to make a cash withdrawal from a local ATM of my choice, or to make a wire transfer into my checking account (and waive the fees), in case I needed immediate access to the money before the new card arrived. I later learned that they also contacted at least one friend of mine who's a local merchant and who also has a PayPal business debit card to review his account for fraud, and wound up proactively canceling and re-issuing his card with a new number.

The long and short of it is that PayPal did everything they possibly could to make me whole and to prevent further fraud, they did it quickly, and the process began with my phone call to a real human being. Granted, I'm a long time, "preferred" (whatever that means), business customer who's never had a single chargeback, complaint, or other unsavory incident; so I suppose that my credibility and trust levels with PayPal are pretty high. I know that my hand-keyed charges for thousands of dollars each are routinely deposited into my account and available for withdrawal within a few seconds; so I guess they trust me, and maybe that trust was part of the reason why they acted so quickly to make me whole. But whatever the reason, I was impressed by how they handled the case.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that PayPal is also an extreme high-value target for hackers and miscreants. But because they already have my information and because they have already demonstrated how excellently they handle these sorts of things, I'd be much more inclined to use their phone-based payment service than anyone else's if I were going to use one at all.

Ultimately, however, I long for the day when our archaic magstripe system is abolished in favor of EMV chip-and-pin. Even chip-and-signature would be an improvement, but I'd prefer chip-and-pin. After being caught up in this aggravation so many times, I'm all for anything that makes it harder for miscreants to steal my card information.

Rich

Last edited:
Used it a few times.

You've never had fraud on your credit card accounts? If I understand the Apple Pay process correctly, it substantially mitigates the chance of stolen account information and the risk of fraudulent use. This has been a large problem for me only with certain banks, so I strongly suspect that the theft may be somewhere in that bank's process, because I have not experienced similar problems with cards issued by other banks and used in the same places. Still, I'm typically not using different cards at the same merchant at the same time, so it could simply be coincidence.

For me, the other big advantage would be mobility. I no longer have to carry a wallet full of cards when I can carry my phone and a driver's license (I rarely carry a significant amount of cash). And for me, it is much faster to scan my fingerprint than to pull out a credit card.

I don't think that all of the advantages to the consumer will be realized until the industry gets onboard to influence consumer behavior. Take a look at how slowly EMV has been adopted, and the industry's lack of enthusiasm about it, to the point where they're putting chips in the cards but otherwise not fundamentally changing the payment process. In many cases, the consumer has no idea what's going on, and there seems to be a reluctance in the industry to force a change in consumer behavior. There's little security advantage to a chipped card with a magnetic stripe and signature block. To some extent, industry's leverage to drive a change in consumer behavior is weakened by federal law which prohibits a liability shift to the consumer. However, I'm not sure that industry has much of an incentive on its own as long as it is satisfied with the numbers.

I haven't read the statistics, but I'd guess that most consumers still pay their bills with paper checks rather than electronic payments, even though electronic payments have been around for years. Anecdotally, I've encountered many people who still think that sending a check through the mail is more secure than an electronic payment, even though in most cases it just results in an electronic payment being initiated by the merchant rather than the consumer. In the process, the consumer's routing and account numbers are exposed to the outside world as the check moves through the postal system.

Speed of transaction isn't going to be resolved until both merchants, consumers, and the industry get onboard and the technology matures. In addition to the obstacles above, there are others which have to be overcome but for which I a unclear on an incentive to do so. Still, consumers may drive this change on their own by demanding with increasing numbers that merchants and industry mature on point of sale elctronic payments. Only time will tell.

JKG

Last edited:
Use it all the time. Quick and easy. Faster than pulling out my wallet and getting my credit card out. My iPhone reads my print nearly instantaneously and it pays the merchant with a token that does not contain any of my credit information. Secure, easy, done!!!

Can understand the reluctance to use it when you have to whip out a phone or whip out a card. But using it via Apple watch - that's already out there on your wrist. That's pretty easy when u consider it.

I'm waiting on the next gen phone to come out before upgrading, I'm not sure if I'll use it or not. Kind of seems like a solution to a problem I don't have... and one more potential point of attack to keep secure.

If we get to the point where I can put my driver's license, pilot certificate, etc in the phone and not have need to carry a wallet then it might be more compelling.

I met one fellow who says that Revealations 14:9 will be a microchip

I use it whenever I can, I just wish more places accepted it. It actually saved me at the grocer the other day when I forgot my wallet at home.

I use Apple Pay when I can. I dug into it and it is much more secure than a credit card. I particularly love that the merchant can't track me. They only receive a token. They do not get my credit card number or even my name. That is why Walmart hates it and is backing CurrentC. I will NEVER touch CurrentC. That system is developed by retailers to share purchase information and to have direct access to your bank account. With Apple Pay, if someone steals your iPhone then you only have to remotely shut down the iPhone. You don't have to get a new credit card like you do if your card is stolen. The thieves have no credit card info.

When you enter a card in Apple Pay a token is generated and saved to the iPhone but the card information isn't. That token is tied to that piece of hardware so it won't work on any other iPhone. When you pay, the retailer receives a different one time transaction token good only for that transaction. Credit card companies have allowed stores accepting Apple Pay to receive preferred rates even when doing online transactions through iPhone apps since they feel the system is so much more secure and there will be less fraud.

I stopped going to Rite Aid and CVS because they were accepting Apple Pay and stopped because of their support for CurrentC. It's one thing to not have the required NFC hardware but an entirely different thing to be able to take a more secure form of payment and not do it because you want to track me. A regular credit card transaction gives the merchant a lot more information about you. Since a credit card number is static they can see all transactions on that card and deduce buying habits. Apple Pay, because of the one time payment token, doesn't allow that. Each transaction looks like a separate, isolated transaction.

Apple Pay is gaining traction. Best Buy has announced that the will be supporting it after this summer when their exclusivity agreement with CurrentC ends.

The Apple Watch makes Apple Pay even easier. That is the main downside. You buy something and you hardly know you have spent money. :)

Apple Pay or Google Wallet?
Pro/Con?

If I understand Google Wallet correctly, it allows Google to collect data on what you are buying. Apple has stated that they don't have access to your transactions made through Apple Pay. Apple sells hardware. It is important to remember that Google sells advertising and the better targeted the ads the more they can sell them for. Ask yourself this question: Why would an advertising company give away a browser (Chrome), a PC operating system (Chrome) and a phone operating system (Android) where in the last example the device has your email and a GPS? Also, why do they give away Gmail? They did recently says they were stopping scanning all of your email. On the good side Google caught several pedophiles as they scanned email in Gmail accounts. Remember that Google was caught circumventing security settings in both Safari and Internet Explorer in order to retrieve browser history even when the users had selected options that were supposed to prevent that. Basically Google was willing to hack browsers to get what they wanted.

Back