2013 Jetta TDI

Landed one for the work recycling place or for yourself? I hope the former.

Ouch.
Only 11 years newer with way less miles on then mine. But mine is not smashed :D

Landed one for the work recycling place or for yourself? I hope the former.

Parting out. But sitting in it as I inventoried the parts has me with a better understanding why folks like the newer Jettas

Parting out. But sitting in it as I inventoried the parts has me with a better understanding why folks like the newer Jettas

They're great to sit in when they're running. LOL.

You know my history on Jetta. Over 13K in warranty and extended warranty repairs and once the motor mounts started to go, we dumped it before something else broke. Worst maintenance pig we've ever owned. Only good news was the extended warranty was cheap so I broke my own rule about buying them, and it paid off so well the insurance company sent an inspector to make sure it wasn't some kind of dealer scam to have spent so much on repairing one vehicle.

Fun to drive and a lovely 40 MPG diesel on the highway when it wasn't in the shop. Bought it new. Never again, VW. More than anything it just wasted our time, constantly.

They're great to sit in when they're running. LOL.

You know my history on Jetta. Over 13K in warranty and extended warranty repairs and once the motor mounts started to go, we dumped it before something else broke. Worst maintenance pig we've ever owned. Only good news was the extended warranty was cheap so I broke my own rule about buying them, and it paid off so well the insurance company sent an inspector to make sure it wasn't some kind of dealer scam to have spent so much on repairing one vehicle.

Fun to drive and a lovely 40 MPG diesel on the highway when it wasn't in the shop. Bought it new. Never again, VW. More than anything it just wasted our time, constantly.

Thats too bad.....both of mine (2006 sedan and 2009 wagon) have had no issues I didn't cause and the biggest problem I have with them is finding diesel in some places out east. 160K on the 06 and 110K on the 09 and its only 2 fill ups away from the the folks or the inlaws 1300 miles in either direction.

Frank

Additional vehicles will be posted during the week. By month end, I'm targeting an additional 30 acquired and inventoried in addition to the large batch that arrived this week. I'm in ramp up mode for post holiday tax return spend money on the car season (January and February)

And I do have some late model Jettas with gasoline engines.

Thats too bad.....both of mine (2006 sedan and 2009 wagon) have had no issues I didn't cause and the biggest problem I have with them is finding diesel in some places out east. 160K on the 06 and 110K on the 09 and its only 2 fill ups away from the the folks or the inlaws 1300 miles in either direction.

Frank

VW is bipolar. If you get a good one, it is very good indeed, but if you get a bad one, it is rotten to the core. There doesn't seem to be an inbetween.

No way to know when you buy a new one. Is it a good witch or a bad witch?

VW is bipolar. If you get a good one, it is very good indeed, but if you get a bad one, it is rotten to the core. There doesn't seem to be an inbetween.

No way to know when you buy a new one. Is it a good witch or a bad witch?

Yep...a friend's Passat that he bought new has had close to 10K in repairs under warranty or extended warranty. He'll never gamble on another VW, nor would I.

Yep...a friend's Passat that he bought new has had close to 10K in repairs under warranty or extended warranty. He'll never gamble on another VW, nor would I.

Which is too bad, I love the stick shift GTI. It is pure joy to drive, quick, handles well, refined and quiet.

But will it last?

The problem with VW is they are always changing things. Every year has subtle
differences in parts that drive you crazy. You can't buy more than an oil filter from VW without a VIN.

The common rail engines will bring a lot of money I'm sure. I just don't know if they are old enough yet to really push the prices. Same with the transaxle, time will make them more valuable.

VW's in general are a cult car. People will spend stupid money on them with 2-300k just to keep them running with the body is falling apart all around them. That is definitely the good news for someone in your business.

I bought mine new and haven't had any issues. 1 check engine light due to a bad fuel cap, and I'm on my second set of tires (82k miles now). I have a 2010 model which was made from 2006-2010 so they probably worked out most of the issues by the time I got mine!

The problem with VW is they are always changing things. Every year has subtle
differences in parts that drive you crazy. You can't buy more than an oil filter from VW without a VIN.

And yet that oil filter will fit 120 other different VW models world wide going back to the Carter Administration.

Just curious, what did you pay for that lovely, slightly used VW? You can PM me if you want or ignore the rather nosey question. :D

PM sent, but for the gallery, if I "bought it right", I should triple my money in 3-4 months on that car.

For the business and finance majors, my desired COGS on an 18-month moving average is 0.46 and I'm tracking toward that pretty good.

I almost bought a pAsst.....till I looked at the maint issues. VW has some serious quality issues. Lipstick and rouge on a lemon still tastes like lemon.

Probably had eight vws at different times over the years. I've NEVER had a bad VW. The wife's 2000 diesel Mercedes was a different story - just glad we had an extended warranty on it.

I have never figured out why people would buy a German car with an automatic transmission. You don't see automatics in Germany except rarely and mostly in big sedans, some of them even still having a stick. Why would people imagine they would build good automatics? :dunno:

BTW, if you buy a Bugatti Veyron, you are buying a VW, if you buy a Rolls Royce, you are buying a VW. I kinda liked their Skoda brand, it's their 'technologically advanced' brand, that's where all the nice tech features like Bluetooth phone and music and stuff. Radio is so bad in Europe I would use my iPad through the stereo, all I had to do was toss it on the seat and it automatically would start playing where it last left off. I liked that a lot, also that it allowed my phone to be paired as well.

Didn't the Car Talk guys say, "Life is too short to own a German car"?

Probably had eight vws at different times over the years. I've NEVER had a bad VW. The wife's 2000 diesel Mercedes was a different story - just glad we had an extended warranty on it.

Ha! For every story there is the a counter view. I had two VWs (Jetta and Passat), and both were money pits.[1] OTOH, the 2006 E class Benz turbodiesel has only needed a water pump and thermostat. The rest has been routine mx. It's one hell of a solid car.

[1] Money pits, but fun to drive money pits. I still kinda jones for a new GTI.

I have a 2002 WV TDI with 260K miles on it. And other then normal maintenance I have not had a problem. Normal maintenance equals changing oil & changing time belt when recommended. Still running the original clutch. I agree about the autos there has beens some bad ones.
VW even replaced my front fenders last year do to rust for free.

I have a 2002 WV TDI with 260K miles on it. And other then normal maintenance I have not had a problem. Normal maintenance equals changing oil & changing time belt when recommended. Still running the original clutch. I agree about the autos there has beens some bad ones.

On a 13 year old car? Wow, that's interesting, and nice.

Every time I hear these claims, I am dubious at best. No brakes in 260K, no accessory belts, no cooling system work, no intake manifold clean out, no front end work, no clutch or AT work, no tires, no batteries, no struts…

I super over maintain my vehicles none of them has been perfect, some are just a lot better than others.

I have never figured out why people would buy a German car with an automatic transmission. You don't see automatics in Germany except rarely and mostly in big sedans, some of them even still having a stick. Why would people imagine they would build good automatics? :dunno:

BTW, if you buy a Bugatti Veyron, you are buying a VW, if you buy a Rolls Royce, you are buying a VW. I kinda liked their Skoda brand, it's their 'technologically advanced' brand, that's where all the nice tech features like Bluetooth phone and music and stuff. Radio is so bad in Europe I would use my iPad through the stereo, all I had to do was toss it on the seat and it automatically would start playing where it last left off. I liked that a lot, also that it allowed my phone to be paired as well.

I've owned three German cars. A Mercedes sedan and two porches. All were automatics and all drove and shifted very well. The tiptronic in the Carrera S was great and the PDK in the current cayman is amazing. If you've never driven a PDK transmission it's probably best not to bad mouth them as they are truly the best ever. The electronics in the Mercedes were terrible, a 2003 four door sedan that was built when mercedes was still hooked up with Chrysler. Dumped it just before the warranty gave out. It drove well, cornered very well. All three have or had excellent radios. The most expensive porsche turbo, 2015 , can only be ordered with the PDK.

Every time I hear these claims, I am dubious at best. No brakes in 260K, no accessory belts, no cooling system work, no intake manifold clean out, no front end work, no clutch or AT work, no tires, no batteries, no struts…

I super over maintain my vehicles none of them has been perfect, some are just a lot better than others.

On a TDI when you change the timing belt you also change the accessory belt and water pump (at least if you are not stupid it all has to come off). So at 200k all that was replaced when the new timing belt went on.
Tires and brakes are routine maintenance. So yes they have been changed. Battery well it is old and is week so a new one is in order.
Struts and front end work well it could you a refresh that is for sure.
Yes the clutch is original I know because I want to replace it with a "stronger" one so I can put in larger injectors and change the tune on it. The stock VW clutch can only handle so much torque. But I am cheap an do not want to replace it well it is still good.

I am not trying to say my VW or any VW is without trouble just that it is not any worse (lemon) then any other make.

On a TDI when you change the timing belt you also change the accessory belt and water pump (at least if you are not stupid it all has to come off). So at 200k all that was replaced when the new timing belt went on.
Tires and brakes are routine maintenance. So yes they have been changed. Battery well it is old and is week so a new one is in order.
Struts and front end work well it could you a refresh that is for sure.
Yes the clutch is original I know because I want to replace it with a "stronger" one so I can put in larger injectors and change the tune on it. The stock VW clutch can only handle so much torque. But I am cheap an do not want to replace it well it is still good.

I am not trying to say my VW or any VW is without trouble just that it is not any worse (lemon) then any other make.

I wasn't trying to pick a nit, sorry about the tone. Sounds like you got a good one. I really like the ALH engines (assuming that's what you have), although I don't like the way the egr is one piece with the intake manifold. Other than that a good year for TDI's. Certainly better than the 05-06's.

We have owned a 2010 Jetta TDI since we bought it new. I like the way the car drives, and I like the fuel mileage. But MY GOD--now, at 98,000 miles, we have had two EXPENSIVE charges . . . for "maintenance items". We replaced the timing belt recently, and that was $1,200. Now the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) light is on, so my son took it to the dealer and was told that TO SERVICE THAT WOULD BE $3,200 !!!!

Looking into this on the internet, it looks like, with other manufacturers (certainly heavy trucks), cleaning a DPF is a routine matter and easily done. With VW, however, one cannot even get to the DPF easily. I think it involves lifting the engine. He was told that several components of the exhaust system would have to be replaced. My reading on the internet suggests that others might have tried to clean or replace the DPF themselves, but a chip in the car's computer needs to be reset or replaced and that is causing some problems.

I would welcome suggestions for this. (We have not yet done the DPF thing). I bought a diesel for the "economy" of the thing! I am quite sure that this will be the last VW tha I ever own.

Wells

Back