Interesting Day, Had To Give CPR

Great job Geico. If only more people were like you and willing to do whatever they can to help out. I hope you're proud of your actions, you should be.

Sometimes I wonder why this forum isn't called lonely pilots with a need to talk about anything no matter how remotely related to aviation, .to other lonely pilots with nothing better to do but opine.....

It's posted in hangar talk.
Probably should limit the discussion here to discussing hangars. :dunno:

I like rectangular ones with corrugated sheet-metal walls.

I like the ones with the little clips on the bottom for hanging your pants the long way.

Second guessing is natural (did I do all I could have...?), but not especially productive. You did everything possible with what you had. You are exactly the kind of person I want as a neighbor and a member of my community.
Came in here to post this.

He will either make it or he won't. You can't do a thing for him now. The person you need to help now is yourself. You did all you could at the time, and you also had two professionals with you. Between the three of you, that kid had the best chance he could have hoped for. Cut yourself the same slack you would if you were giving advice to someone in your situation.

Survivor's guilt is normal and shows that you're a normal caring human. But it's a whirlpool that can suck you down over and over for the rest of your life if you let it. So let it go. Accept the fact that most things in life are beyond your control, and this is just one of them. If he lives, you were an amazing part of an amazing event. If he dies, his mother will never forget the strangers that did everything they could to save her son. You did good.

Great news! The boy is still in the hospital but awake and alert! He is going to make it! He is going to be tested further, but the prognosis is good!!!

Yahoo!!!

:rollercoaster::happydance::wonderwoman::heli:

Bryan said:
Probably should limit the discussion here to discussing hangars.

I like the ones with the little clips on the bottom for hanging your pants the long way.

I find Kleenex works well for mine, and keeping the nose hairs trimmed. :hairraise:

I got chills when I read your line about "the clothes still smelled like the little boy"... I immediately thought about my own little boy and how he could end up in a situation like that.

From the parent of two little boys myself, I applaud and thank you for your actions.

Great news! The boy is still in the hospital but awake and alert! He is going to make it! He is going to be tested further, but the prognosis is good!!!

Yahoo!!!

Excellent news. Thanks for updating us.

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. I have a ten year old son, this could have been him. Thank you so much!! At least for a little while, my faith in humanity is restored.

Yahoo!!!

Good to know. Maybe, if recent research results just announced a couple weeks ago pans out, by 2020 he and millions of others with asthma and some other lung diseases like chronic bronchitis and COPD will actually have an effective treatment, if not a cure:
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/4...cause-of-asthma-cure-may-come-before-2020.htm

Wow, nice work, you saved him, absolutely, you saved him!!!!:cheers:

Good work!!
We had a lady pass out in our customer lounge a couple weeks ago, she had a heart attack! She stopped breathing, had no pulse, not a good situation!! Lucky for her one of the other people in the lounge was a doctor in for an oil change!! He did CPR for 10 minutes or so until the paramedics arrived, they finally got her stable enough to transport to the hospital. She stopped breathing 2 or 3 times, we weren't sure if she was going to make it!:(
Good news, she came by on Friday to thank everyone that helped her! :yes::yes:
If the doctor hadn't been there, I am not sure she would have made it. :confused:

Good work!!
We had a lady pass out in our customer lounge a couple weeks ago, she had a heart attack! She stopped breathing, had no pulse, not a good situation!! Lucky for her one of the other people in the lounge was a doctor in for an oil change!! He did CPR for 10 minutes or so until the paramedics arrived, they finally got her stable enough to transport to the hospital. She stopped breathing 2 or 3 times, we weren't sure if she was going to make it!:(
If the doctor hadn't been there, I am not sure she would have made it. :confused:

nothing wrong with organizing annual or bi-annual CPR course for the troops...

I mandated the training at my former employer..

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. I have a ten year old son, this could have been him. Thank you so much!! At least for a little while, my faith in humanity is restored.

Mike, you hit the nail on the head. That could have been my grand kids. When I see someone in trouble they are mine until help arrives.

What gets to me is so few people know what to do, or take the time to learn. This is the 3rd time I have had to do CPR on kids, and 3 times on adults. I'm just in the right place at the right time I guess. :dunno:

Last edited:
Good Job

Geico, don't go around sniffing little boys. Someone would then have verification that you need to be locked-up.:goofy:

:rofl:

Yea, that did sound a little weird, but that is part of the CPR training. Use all of your senses. Smell is a very powerful diagnostic tool. ;)

Last edited:
Good work!!

John! My man! Sign up for CPR classes! Talk your boss into an AED (Automatic External Defribulator). They are cheap and save lives. Good PR for your customer relations!

Good on you! And congrats on the save. A lot of folks wouldn't have even tried.

You would have felt far worse if you hadn't tried and were later told tha he didn't make it for lack of effort. All turned out well!

Thank you one and all for the kinds words, and support.

I would really appreciate it if all of you would take the time to become CPR trained. It is not hard, takes one or 2 evenings, and you just might save a life. You just never know when you will be called on to perform. One thing is for certain you will have an opportunity. Will you act or watch?

Last edited:
I may not often agree with you, but now I know for sure that you're a prince of a human being!

Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirk
You did what you could to the extent of your abilities. You can't ask for more.

Enjoy the stiff drink. I know I would.

BTDT.... Larry knows exactly what I went through.......

A few STIFF drinks will get one through a rough time.....

perhaps every hangar needs one of those posters with CPR instructions hanging on the wall

Yahoo!!!

Please post a picture of you and your next Young Eagle when he gets better!

Good job, Larry. Mary and I will buy you (another) beer at OSH, for being a real hero!

You are amazing. Being willing to act is what separates the 1% from the 99%. Knowing how to act separates the .1% from the 1%. Thanks for showing what people can do and what it means to be a good person.

For those seeking training: if you can, seek out a local class that includes training on AEDs*. While they are frighteningly simple to use and guide you through the process when you deploy them, one hour of practice can shave one minute off if you need it.

Cheers.

* Disclosure: My company manufactures AEDs. We get free CPR and AED training every six months if we want it. I'm going to go schedule my next course . . .

Good work!!

Consider getting an AED and offer in-house CPR training for your staff.

Side note; this thread prompted me to seek out CPR training since it has been decades since my last training. I was just a bit disappointed to find that it cost $110 for the training. Mind you, I am willing and able to pay, and I will, I do wonder if this cost is a deterrent to some?

Nice job...you are a hero!

Side note; this thread prompted me to seek out CPR training since it has been decades since my last training. I was just a bit disappointed to find that it cost $110 for the training. Mind you, I am willing and able to pay, and I will, I do wonder if this cost is a deterrent to some?

Agreed...

I took a CPR class years ago and it was pretty straight forward on what to do and what NOT to do.... Frankly , I am amazed someone doesn't produce a video and Utube it and share it with the billions around the world who have no idea how to save a life a with a basically simple procedure...:dunno::dunno:...

John! My man! Sign up for CPR classes! Talk your boss into an AED (Automatic External Defribulator). They are cheap and save lives. Good PR for your customer relations!

Our CPR class was yesterday! :yes: It was limited to 12 people, but we have another one scheduled that I will attend! Sometimes it takes an event to push us to do what we should already done. ;)

Call your local fire department, that sounds very expensive.

Back