Bringing an RV(Camper) to OSH

DJTorrente

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
DJTorrente
Two problems with searching for "RV" on POA: 1) its too short and the search engine rejects it; and 2) you're more likely to find a thread about the E-AB line aircraft than a rolling camper.

Short question: Do the power/water hookup campsites routinely fill up each year? If so, when (first day; Wednesday; already gone! etc.)?

I'm not a 'camper' by anyone's definition, but was thinking of coming in with the wife and kids by RV. Anyone done this? Do you experience the 'atmosphere', particularly nighttime, that people who camp as OSH talk so highly of?

Anything in Camp Scholler will get you the full experience. In my opinion, the day time is only a tiny part of the enjoyment of Airventure.

That said, from my past experience, the full hook up sites are usually long gone by opening day. If you are local, or have somebody willing to help you out, you can go and stake out a spot early before Airventure opens. But you will also pay from the day you make claim. I think in years past, the full hook up sites were gone in the week ahead of time. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
If you don't get a hookup site there is a company that comes around and will pump your grey and black tanks and refill your water right at the campsite. I think it was around $30 or so.

Keith

We get there a day or two early to get a good spot as we are 44 feet long towing a car so we can get in and out easier , watch to make sure the ground is not real wet or soft, bring boards for the jacks to sit on other wise you might dig a hole as I did one year.

Come in full of fuel for the generator if you have one, and a full tank of water, your holding tanks need to be empty. We also bring the blue water containers to refill fresh water, there are spigots by the showers for filling the jugs.

There are trucks that will pump out your black and gray tanks for you for about $25.00 if you can flag one down.

Bring a way to get to the grounds like a bicycle it is a hike, it is great time been doing it for years.

Only done it once, but it's a no brainer. Pull trailer in, unhitch, camp.

Hook up sites are often purchased months in advance and the price tags of the rigs parked in them, seems to indicate the owners probably don't care much about a couple thousand dollar parking bill.

Plan on generator and battery for any needed electrons, (some areas are 24 hour, most are not... be aware) and conservative use of black and grey tanks or paying to have the honey wagon come by and pump you out.

Easiest way to conserve on the water use is just to hike over to the showers like everyone else. :)

Back