Rototiller question

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
I'm resodding my front yard, after a Bradford Pear managed to kill almost all the grass, and I want to till it before the sod goes down. I don't own,and don't want to own a tiller, so I'll be renting. I've got about 4000 square feet of good ol' Georgia clay to till. There will be numerous small rocks and probably a couple of bigger ones, and also a number of shrub roots. I have a service coming out to grind the shrub and Bradford Pear stumps.

I've done a little tilling with a front tine tiller, and I don't think that's enough tool for the job. I've got a couple of choices at the local rental yard, a Honda 9 hp unit http://powerequipment.honda.com/tillers/models/frc800 or a 9 hp Barreto unit that is hydrostatically driven: http://www.barretomfg.com/eq-midsize-tiller.php

I'm thinking the Honda unit should be up to the task. Anyone have any experience tilling this size area?

The baretto weighs just about twice as much therefore I would expect it to break up clay better without jumping around as much. Either will get the job done but the heavier unit will likely be easier on the operator.

I own a hydrostatic drive rear-tine tiller of ~7-10 hp, similar in appearance to the one in your link. I would not tackle a 4000 sq ft project with it. You are probably younger and stronger than I am, and perhaps it would turn out okay for you. I would opt for something larger on which I could sit; either a small tractor or the afore-mentioned skid-steer. A rear tine tiller like that is a beast to handle for anything more than about an hour.

I'd pay someone with the tiller attachment on a skid/steer.

Yep, 4k feet. clay? hire it done. a big heavy tractor will be in and out in less than 2 hours.

and you won't be sore for a week.

I've done that much tilling in similar soil with either a 3.5 hp front tine or a 6.5 hp rear tine tiller. Since they were loaners from friends, I was able to till an hour or two a day for a week to complete the job, instead of going gonzo for one or two days.

Since I have "free" tillers at my disposal, I'd do the same thing again. If I had to rent something, instead, I'd try to hire someone with something that would get the job done faster.

A 5hp rear time tiller will beat you up. I broke ground in the back yard near Athens after cutting down way too many pines. It's not something I'd do again. Worked an hour or two every day for a couple of weeks putting in Dad's garden.

Hire someone with a tractor and PTO. It will be worth it.

What part of Georgia?

Why not just add a couple of inches of decent topsoil over the hard stuff? The new grass will appreciate it.

Make sure you cut the sod or scrape it off first. If you don't you will end up with a bunch of clumps and its harder to remove them after the fact. The Barreto is as fine of a machine as you can get for a walk behind. BCS is also good top of the line. A small Kabota with a roll over box scraper, scarifier, and a tiller rental is also an option. Depends on time, money and site access

4k doesn't look like a lot until you start. Maybe get a quote from a pro landscaper. They can till, drag, roll, grade, bring in dirt, and lay out the sod for you.

I tilled up my front yard with clay and tree roots with a rear tine tiller kinda like the first link. But it was only about 600 square feet. 4000 is going to take more than one day...

I didn't peel up the sod first, but I went over it 3 or 4 times to get it all broken up well. First pass is the worst. Tree roots get wound around the tines and are a pita to remove.

Find a guy with a tractor/4-6' 3-point tiller. It'll go through it in no time and you'll save yourself some serious sore muscles. Probably wouldn't be more than a $3-400 total to have someone do it for you.

A 5hp rear time tiller will beat you up. I broke ground in the back yard near Athens after cutting down way too many pines. It's not something I'd do again. Worked an hour or two every day for a couple of weeks putting in Dad's garden.

Hire someone with a tractor and PTO. It will be worth it.

What part of Georgia?

Roswell, about 20 miles due north of downtown Atlanta.

Why not just add a couple of inches of decent topsoil over the hard stuff? The new grass will appreciate it.

The existing soil isn't too bad, it was mostly fill, and it's been a lawn for the last 15 years. I do plan on getting the tree service to leave me some wood chips, which I was going to till into the soil.

Make sure you cut the sod or scrape it off first. If you don't you will end up with a bunch of clumps and its harder to remove them after the fact. The Barreto is as fine of a machine as you can get for a walk behind. BCS is also good top of the line. A small Kabota with a roll over box scraper, scarifier, and a tiller rental is also an option. Depends on time, money and site access

There's not much left in the way of sod. The Bradford killed everything within about a 35 foot radius, and as the trees grew up on the eastern edge of the yard, the common bermuda that the builder put it checked out, it just doesn't tolerate any shade at all.

4k doesn't look like a lot until you start. Maybe get a quote from a pro landscaper. They can till, drag, roll, grade, bring in dirt, and lay out the sod for you.

Find a guy with a tractor/4-6' 3-point tiller. It'll go through it in no time and you'll save yourself some serious sore muscles. Probably wouldn't be more than a $3-400 total to have someone do it for you.

I haven't had any luck contracting for stuff like that, the prices have been way too high, maybe it's where I live. About 10 year ago I needed an area in the back yard leveled out for a playset installation. It was only a 36 by 16 area, and the slope was maybe 18 inches front to back, and the quotes I was getting just to level it were in the $6000 range. I would up doing it myself by tilling up the soil on the high side, using the tiller to push it to the middle of the area, then building a surround on the high side/retaining wall on the low side with landscape timbers, then brought in about 12 yards of fill to finish the leveling. It was a lot of work, but not $6000 worth. I will see if I can find a landscaping company to do this, but I'm not optimistic. It looks like I may be able to rent a tractor mounted tiller, so I'll look into that as well.

Yeah - for $6k, that's a tough bite.

Landscapers around here don't seem like they'd be that high, the average "Lawn and Landscape" company in these parts just doesn't look like they would charge that much. I don't know, but I'm sure it's a case of you get what you pay for.

Since you've done it before, you know what you are getting into. There are some topsoil delivery companies here that use some tractor/bucket things so you can get just as much as you need without ordering a whole or half truckload. They pull a truck up to your house, drive a tracked remote controlled dump bin up to a chute, load it up, drive the bin to wherever you need it, then tip the dirt out. You pay for the delivery and however many dump loads you get. It's pretty cool and simple for filling in low spots where you don't need too many CF and don't want to wheelbarrow it all into place.

Is there much difference in the price different types of sod? In the KC area it's either going to be bluegrass or fescue.

It looks like I may be able to rent a tractor mounted tiller, so I'll look into that as well.

Sunbelt Rentals. 3 locations around Atlanta. Have them configure/deliver a skid loader with a hydraulic tiller. Done.

I just tore up about 200 sq ft of space in my back yard with my TroyBilt Bronco (small) tiller and it nearly beat me to death. That was definitely not the machine for the job, but even with a larger tiller, 4,000 sq ft is going to be a task and a half. No matter what kind of equipment you use, you're probably going to want to go over it twice - once to break the old sod up and again to help level things back out and bust up some of the clods from the first run.

If you have time, you may want to spray round-up on the existing sod and let it sit for a couple of weeks before tilling. Makes it easier to bust up any existing root structure underneath.

And yes - this GA clay is tough stuff! (I'm in Newnan area)

Yeah - for $6k, that's a tough bite.

Landscapers around here don't seem like they'd be that high, the average "Lawn and Landscape" company in these parts just doesn't look like they would charge that much. I don't know, but I'm sure it's a case of you get what you pay for.

Since you've done it before, you know what you are getting into. There are some topsoil delivery companies here that use some tractor/bucket things so you can get just as much as you need without ordering a whole or half truckload. They pull a truck up to your house, drive a tracked remote controlled dump bin up to a chute, load it up, drive the bin to wherever you need it, then tip the dirt out. You pay for the delivery and however many dump loads you get. It's pretty cool and simple for filling in low spots where you don't need too many CF and don't want to wheelbarrow it all into place.

Is there much difference in the price different types of sod? In the KC area it's either going to be bluegrass or fescue.

I would gladly pay someone $1000 or so to till the area that needs to be done. I'm a little leery of handing the entire job over to someone, I'm at work all day and can't watch what they're doing, and I've seen some of them do some unexplicably odd things.

We are in a transition zone, there are both cool weather and warm weather grasses here. The only type of cool weather grass that does well is tall fescue, and you can find sod in that variety. It does best in filtered sun, like on the periphery of an area with mature trees. It needs to be overseeded each fall as it suffers in the summer, but it's green year round. If you have a sunny area, you're better off with one of the warm weather grasses, either Bermuda or Zoysia. There are lots of varieties of each, If you can find it, I suspect you could get common bermuda for as little as $125 per pallet, which is around 500 sq feet in this area. Hybrid Bermuda is somewhere around $180 - $250, and the Zoysias can go to $300 or more per pallet, plus delivery and if you want it, installation. We had common Bermuda in the front, and had sodded hybrid Bermuda in our back yard. Hybrid Bermuda does great in full sun provided it gets enough water and fertilizer, but won't look its best unless you mow it every five days. My neighbor had a fine bladed Zoysia put in about 10 years ago, and it looks great. It's a little slower growing as well, so you don't need to cut it quite as often, so that's what we're going with.

Sunbelt Rentals. 3 locations around Atlanta. Have them configure/deliver a skid loader with a hydraulic tiller. Done.

If I can't find anyone to do this job, I'll look at this option. Tilling the yard in 20 inch wide swaths is going to be a tough grind

I just tore up about 200 sq ft of space in my back yard with my TroyBilt Bronco (small) tiller and it nearly beat me to death. That was definitely not the machine for the job, but even with a larger tiller, 4,000 sq ft is going to be a task and a half. No matter what kind of equipment you use, you're probably going to want to go over it twice - once to break the old sod up and again to help level things back out and bust up some of the clods from the first run.

If you have time, you may want to spray round-up on the existing sod and let it sit for a couple of weeks before tilling. Makes it easier to bust up any existing root structure underneath.

And yes - this GA clay is tough stuff! (I'm in Newnan area)

I just realized that one of my coworkers has a husband who does something landscape related, and she's going to see if he can find someone who can get this done for me. One of the local sod contractors uses 3000 square feet as the switchover point, below that, they do the yard by hand, above it, they use a skid steer loader and tiller. I have sprayed roundup on the remaining grass/weeds, it should all be dead by the time the tilling gets done. It's probably a couple of weeks down the road, the tree service has to get rid of the remains of the Bradford Pear first. I'm sure there's someone in one of the outlying towns who does this kind of work reasonably, I just have to find him.

Good luck. I am in Woodstock and used my 18" craftsman to do my front and back yards. >10,000 Sq ft and it can be done. Just make sure the ground is moist. GA "soil" is like concrete when it's dry. It tills nice when it's been raining a couple days.

Skid steer with the tiller would be option #2 over a 25+HP tractor. I've used the big manual tillers a time or two before to make a 10x20 garden, and it was like trying to control a wild hog at times. You see a skid steer/tractor do it and it goes like butter and they can make several passes in the time it takes you to do one with a walk-behind.

Check Craigslist for people advertising dirt work/tilling. Chances are you'll find someone so-equipped. Many times, places like SunBelt will have tractor/tiller rentals as well.

Agree that hiring someone with a tractor is best. I have used the Baretto tiller you mention to do maybe 1000 sq ft of beds that had no sod. I am confident in saying it is not up to the job you have in mind. I had to use a garden fork to loosen my clay before I could till. You have much more sq ft and you have sod -- you would regret trying that job.

If I can't find anyone to do this job, I'll look at this option. Tilling the yard in 20 inch wide swaths is going to be a tough grind

Tiller on the skid is usually 60 inches or more. Should make quick work of the project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Full size tractor dealer will know of someone with grownup tractor and attachment that will make short work of this. Smaller equipment is just kidding yourself.

I keep reading this title as 'Rotweiller question' and keep wondering why we're talking about dirt when we should be talking about dogs!

I got nothing for you on the dirt part, except doing it yourself will be back breaking work.

But if you know a rotweiller with a tractor...

Back