Checkride gotchas?

uncreative

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Uncreative
My checkride is coming up after a so-so final stage check. For those of you who perhaps failed your first instrument checkride, or were caught out by something on your checkride that had you hanging on by the static wicks, would you care to share your tales of woe?

Thanks!

Not me, but failing to identify the station is a pretty big one.

Not me, but failing to identify the station is a pretty big one.

That's how I failed one portion of my IFR end of course. Made sure to not forget on the redo and made me not forget it on the checkride lol

VLOC/GPS improperly selected.
Taking off with the carb heat out.
Finding the towbar was still hooked up after we landed.
Cutting off a glider on short final.

Also triple check minimums and make sure you don't go a foot under.

This is the one that I am worried the most about. I can't seem to fly straight and level for four minutes (or what ever the time is supposed to be on the specific approach I am flying) from the FAF at 90kts while following the localizer. I can do the ILS fine. I always seem to go a little below and/or lose some airspeed and drop down to 80kts. Do people generally plan to fly a little higher than MDA just to give themselves a little cushion?

This is the one that I am worried the most about. I can't seem to fly straight and level for four minutes (or what ever the time is supposed to be on the specific approach I am flying) from the FAF at 90kts while following the localizer. I can do the ILS fine. I always seem to go a little below and/or lose some airspeed and drop down to 80kts. Do people generally plan to fly a little higher than MDA just to give themselves a little cushion?

The PTS allows +/-100ft of MDA, FYI. Of course you should try to nail it as much as possible though. Misread the PTS on this one - disregard. It is +100, -0.

Other little gotchas... Timing from FAF (if it applies). Paying attention to takeoff and alternate minimums as well as ODPs. SID/STAR terminology like "climb via".

Last edited:
You can go +50' with no ill effect. Simply arrest the descent 100' above MDA, add a bit of power and slowly descent to +50' above MDA and hold it there.

1. Check heading indicator to the compass. Often.

2. If you use foggles, draw eyes on them.

3. If during the oral, the examiner ask a question and you really don't know the answer, tell the examiner that your instructor told you that wasn't important.

4. Ignore number 3.... and possibly number 2.

This is a big one. Also triple check minimums and make sure you don't go a foot under.
Best way to avoid that is to aim high on MDA's. You've got 100 above but zero below, so aim to hold 50 high while you're driving to the MAP.

Most important is to keep your situational awareness, and keep your brain at least five minutes ahead of the plane. If you're well-organized with good procedures, things will pretty well take care of themselves.

From my experience from both my PPL and IFR checkride I would recommend to NOT verbalize your mistakes. I had two things during my IFR check ride that in my mind could have been disqualifying. I kept my mouth shut, made the correction and just kept flying.

Honestly first I think the DPE let the first slide or did not think is was as big of a deal as I did and the second I think he did not even catch. Let him tell you if there is a problem, do not point out your problems as they happen...but just fly the plane and make any corrections if you fall outta PTS standards or make a mistake.

I failed my first attempt at the IR ride when I got too low on a non-precision approach. Yup, that common gotcha.

I nailed an ILS approach even though the GNS-430W was saying to return to a fix that was behind us. I messed up the knobology and it was lying to us. I knew where I was, had the localizer tuned and IDed with the needles centered. I told the DPE what had happened and flew the needles to a successful approach. No harm, no foul. Know your equipment.

Oh, and I passed on the second attempt.

The PTS allows +/-100ft of MDA, FYI

No it doesn't. Your altitude allowance is +100/-0 on the final approach segment.

I always seem to go a little below and/or lose some airspeed and drop down to 80kts.

Pitch + power = performance. When it's time to level off at MDA make sure you look at your tachometer and add the proper amount of power for level flight with the chosen gear and flap setting.

Do people generally plan to fly a little higher than MDA just to give themselves a little cushion?

A high descent rate for a nonprecision approach like 1000fpm would normally call for leveling off 100 feet (10%) before the target altitude. I double this number and start a gradual level off 200 feet early. But yes, you could think of the PTS as if it were allowing you +/- 50 and adding 50' to the MDA in your mind.

Show the examiner that you're thinking ahead... When you're at cruise and find yourself just sitting there, talk through the approach, think what if, how, where to turn, yatta yatta! My examiner liked that... Oh, and make sure you maintain your assigned ALTITUDE!!!

Best of luck!

I call out "500 ft to go" "100 feet to go" "minimums." By verbalizing it, it may help you.

Best way to avoid that is to aim high on MDA's. You've got 100 above but zero below, so aim to hold 50 high while you're driving to the MAP.

Most important is to keep your situational awareness, and keep your brain at least five minutes ahead of the plane. If you're well-organized with good procedures, things will pretty well take care of themselves.
Yep. Just like a chess game. Know what you're going to do a few steps before you actually do it.

Don't let your nerves get the best of you ... I've seen good pilots let a little mistake start running the tables for them... Then they second guess everything and start losing sight of the big picture .. Focusing on small details that really don't matter while missing huge things that do matter (puts blood in the water) ... Relax , be confident , be accurate

PS.. There is no PERFECT ride so the ability to trap, mitigate and respond to an error is essential

Last edited:
turning into the non-protected side of the hold will do it. I.e. turning left instead of right.

and reading and descending to the wrong altitude for MDA will do it as well, especially when it is lower than the actual MDA.

Brian

And don't feel rushed. If you are not 100% briefed and ready for the next approach ask for a hold or delay vectors while you get your head around the next approach before you proceed. I had a friend fail as a result of being a bit frazzled and hitting approaches that were very close together and not having his head fully in each one. During my IFR checkride, I asked for a hold after a missed approach before we went on to the last approach.

There are a lot of things on the IR checkride that can hose you. The big thing is to just take a second and think before you do things.

Back