Daily Pic

If you can fly in and out of there, you can fly anywhere.
I landed there twice. The first time I circled for a couple min before I found the darn thing.

And when I landed, I am pretty sure the runway was the exact width of my mains.:wink2:
I definitely enjoy the challenge. That flight I actually headed up to your neck of the woods in Denton, and I can't complain with all the room over there! I should fly over there more just to get used to radio communications while on airport property since I mostly stick to uncontrolled airports (although Addison sure does give me some practice in the air some days ;)

I just try to look for the patch of grass in the concrete jungle that is North Dallas haha

Took my wife and two boys flying for the first time in our new to us 182. Just a short clip of the landing and my son's reaction to his his first landing.

Edit: A few folks have PM'd me about the lack of hearing protection on the kids. Please note that one child has plugs in. Unfortunately, the other child pulled his plugs out during the flight, and was without hearing protection for a few minutes. We would never take the kids up without hearing protection, but 3 year olds don't always cooperate. Please don't report me to the authorities ;)

Last edited:
Took my wife and two boys flying for the first time in our new to us 182. Just a short clip of the landing and my son's reaction to his his first landing.

Your kids are absolutely adorable. It however appears as whether only one is all excited and fascinated about the landing. The other has apparently better things to do... :D

Your kids are absolutely adorable. It however appears as whether only one is all excited and fascinated about the landing. The other has apparently better things to do... :D

Thank you so much! The most exciting part about having this airplane is being able to share my flying habit with my family. I see many adventures in our future! And yes, nothing gets between Adam and his nap. ;)

This New Standard pilot has been tormenting me all day. What a great day for a ride over the island in a vintage open cockpit biplane!

Ugh, I want to be at the airport!

903fa571371b1090e6cbb2e7107cd22a.jpg

MiG-15 trying to slow down to match a couple of Yak-52s. :lol:

39A0k2d.jpg

Sunrise over ATL. Waiting for our connection this morning on the way home from vacation.

ATL_zps3yopwfmi.jpeg

Sunset at OSU

Attachments

• 0401152005.jpg
    0401152005.jpg
    909.8 KB · Views: 55
My dad and I heading home from Cedar Creek Lake last night.
They brought us low over the top of Downtown & DFW.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0799.JPG
    IMG_0799.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0796.JPG
    IMG_0796.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 404
Completed my graphics install on the Yak, now modeled after a US Navy Aggressor scheme from VFC-13 the Saints, NAS Fallon. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder but I thought this turned out pretty good.

20150404_143400_zpsu1xj79si.jpg

20150404_143427_zpseef9a87k.jpg

20150404_143507_zpsksuszxvc.jpg

20150404_143514_zpsexkdbixu.jpg

The F-5N that inspired the scheme
20120309%20IWA_0474%20F-5N%2076-1545%20VFC-13%20left%20side%20taxiing%20l_zpswgm6nwf3.jpg

'Gimp

Last edited:
This needs to be stickied. Great thread and love the pictures

Bombed around for an hour today doing absolutely nothing but boring holes in the sky. Harassed downtown Madison for a bit.

Untitled2.png

Go Bucky(ok I know it's the football stadium, whatever)!

Untitled7.png

Love when the sky looks like this:

Untitled8.png

Last edited:
My office for the evening
a2b9aaeeee51a9a84b45e5e889bb7840.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulled the Yak out into the sun for a couple pics before digging into an air leak (check valve). Getting it ready for the big All Red Star formation training event in Porterville in a couple weeks (~40 Yak's, CJ's, T-34's and Experimentals). Gotta give it to the Russkies, the thing is actually reasonably easy to work on and the systems are bone simple - just wish they'd have used stainless steel in the air system, would have cut down significantly on corrosion issues.

20150406_160233_zpswanmpqey.jpg

20150406_160217_zps9qkzfnmi.jpg

20150406_160206_zps4uf4pn6f.jpg

'Gimp

Buttoned the Yak up after rebuilding a couple of the main air system check valves and flew another formation training sortie today out over the Pacific. No GoPro so no pics from the flight but things are coming together.

Really fun machine and great group of guys.

20150411_103537_zps62pk9gm4.jpg

20150411_134953_zpshb8vfk5t.jpg

'Gimp

Catching up on emails.....

Attachments

• Catching up with work at Cape Hatteras.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 65
I am more stoked about this than I should be, but since I am the group videographer/photo guy I was feeling left out since I have been flying these formation training sorties but a buddy got some in-flight shots of the Yak and I from the sortie on Saturday. Better yet, I was even in position for these!

Form6-6_zpsxq0u0bda.jpg

Form6-1_zpsqtykbhho.jpg

Form6-5_zpsgpj5xu8r.jpg

'Gimp

Flew my first Pilots n Paws flight on Saturday.

Attachments

• gus.jpg
    gus.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 81
Going through my pictures and thought I would add a few. We bought our Cirrus in December and flew it home to Dallas from Seattle. I also had one from Manhattan a few weeks ago when we brought it back from the avionics upgrade in Boston.

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

OrA5LiC.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1002.PNG
    IMG_1002.PNG
    4.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0587.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0551.JPG
    13.2 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Nascar International, Lake Norman, a 'tunnel' of clouds to guide us to our destination, and the 'bumps' of western NC

Attachments

• 2_JQF.JPG
    2_JQF.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 3_LkNorman.JPG
    3_LkNorman.JPG
    429.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 4_clouds.JPG
    4_clouds.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 5_hills.JPG
    5_hills.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 60
We do P&P whenever we can on longer trips. It is lots of fun and gives the wife (or mother) a job on the flight. Depending on the dog(s) it is often good to have someone other than the pilot in the plane. I might be being anthropomorphic but the dogs seem grateful for the experience. I have never had one act up other than puppies pooping (which is what puppies do).

Attachments

• photoa (2).jpg
    photoa (2).jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 99
  • iphone 10-14 002 (2).jpg
    iphone 10-14 002 (2).jpg
    703.5 KB · Views: 107
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 99
solar power south of Vegas
solar_zpst5ra57n6.jpg
That thing is distracting, saw it from miles away when Wifey and I went up to Vegas for our anniversary back in November. Listen to LiveATC, Vegas Approach for about 20 minutes and you'll almost always hear someone ask what that is.

'Gimp

Clip from a quick spin I took tonight down the Skyline Route to the Newark transition where one of the air traffic controller's at Newark threw on the lights on intersecting runway 29 for me to spot the runway and follow it then head back to KCDW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZiZ3X9BKhY

Nice pics! Question though, do you always fly with the wing step hanging off the left wing or was that an "oops?"
Wing step is semi-permanently mounted but can be removed or only used for getting in/out.

Basically, we leave everything hanging on the Yak, only way to keep us slower than the T-34's :D

OK, a lot slower than the Mentor's......

'Gimp

Gotcha. I was just curious as on the one I fly, when installed the wing step is barely hanging on (rear pivot point hooks on, front contact point is just a padded tab). I know CJs have a permanent hanging step so wasn't sure if you had retrofitted something similar.

I was also going to ask about the T-34 and if he gets frustrated flying around so slow. But at least he's saving gas! :lol:

Gotcha. I was just curious as on the one I fly, when installed the wing step is barely hanging on (rear pivot point hooks on, front contact point is just a padded tab). I know CJs have a permanent hanging step so wasn't sure if you had retrofitted something similar.

I was also going to ask about the T-34 and if he gets frustrated flying around so slow. But at least he's saving gas! :lol:
We use 110-120 Kts for most formation training so he is dialed back to around 20" and I think 2500 RPM but might be lower - definitely low fuel usage. If we can avoid a lot of throttle jockeying I can keep it around 11-12 gph

'Gimp

Back