Commercial Rating - #2

skidoo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skidoo
Is there any benefit for someone over age 60 to seek a Commercial Rating? If so, what are the most significant reasons to do so?

Is there any benefit for someone over age 60 to seek a Commercial Rating? If so, what are the most significant reasons to do so?
Sure. Not to sound like a smart-a$$, but a benefit would be to be able to get paid to do some flying for pay.

It'd also reduce your insurance costs.

Bragging rights... :dunno:

I'm guessing that if you've been flying a while, then mostly home-study with a bit of CFI time and you'd knock it out pretty quickly and cheaply...

Sure. Not to sound like a smart-a$$, but a benefit would be to be able to get paid to do some flying for pay.

It'd also reduce your insurance costs.

Bragging rights... :dunno:

I'm guessing that if you've been flying a while, then mostly home-study with a bit of CFI time and you'd knock it out pretty quickly and cheaply...
This and if you just want to add another rating. It's a fun rating, the checkride is easy and it will make you a better pilot. Commercial flying is all about how you finesse the plane, stay ahead of it, and be smooth.

Not so sure about a commercial ticket lowering insurance rates. Instrument rating for sure but not so much the commercial. Should you have an incident, the faa may be a bit more harsh on a commercial pilot expecting a higher standard and all.

Go for it its a fun rating and you might be able to get some right seat stick time,in a more advanced aircraft.

Absolutely not.
The upside is you might get to fly right seat in a KingAir90 on charter runs for a modest pay. You will complete some training that may enhance some pilot skills.
The downside is you'll be spending money for a ticket that you'll be unlikely to use. You can spend the same or less money to get to the same skill level that may be more targeted to your flying aims without paying for the extra tests, the 2d class physical, checkride and so forth.
You'll be held to a higher standard if you get violated.
If you get the KingAir charter time, you'll get to sleep in dirty recliners in unattended lounges while waiting for organ donor teams. At 60 years of age?
Alternatives with this money may include:
glider rating
tail wheel endorsement
upset or aerobatic training
buy a back seat ride in a P-51

Absolutely not.
The upside is you might get to fly right seat in a KingAir90 on charter runs for a modest pay. You will complete some training that may enhance some pilot skills.
You will also get the opportunity to be a flight instructor, which for us over-60's can be a really nice way to give back to the aviation community, not to mention a very satisfying way to make a bit of flying money on the side. You can also get the chance to meet a lot of very interesting people and fly a lot of different aircraft types. If you enjoy teaching, it's a great part-time gig for the semi-retired.

And there are a ton of other things the CP ticket allows you to do, including ferrying planes, hauling jumpers, or whatever else floats your boat (or elevates your airplane?) in the way of part-time work that involves flying (which for some of us means getting paid to do what you'd pretty well happily do for free).

How about 2nd class medical. Is there anything that could be found disqualifying on a 2nd class medical that would cause risk of loosing 3rd class where if just checked for 3rd class, there would be no issues?

Who's saying he's gonna get a second class? It's only needed if you exercise the privileges, but not to take the checkride and continue flying afterwards.

How about 2nd class medical. Is there anything that could be found disqualifying on a 2nd class medical that would cause risk of loosing 3rd class where if just checked for 3rd class, there would be no issues?

The only difference in standards is that vision must be correctable to 20/20 instead of 20/40. I have a second class right now even though I don't have a commercial certificate. It turns into third class in January if I do nothing. No additional costs, no additional risk, no additional time. A remote possibility of some benefit if I happen to finish a commercial in the next year. It seemed stupid not to get it.

The only difference in standards is that vision must be correctable to 20/20 instead of 20/40. I have a second class right now even though I don't have a commercial certificate. It turns into third class in January if I do nothing. No additional costs, no additional risk, no additional time. A remote possibility of some benefit if I happen to finish a commercial in the next year. It seemed stupid not to get it.
Your second class medical doesn't "turn" into a third class. Your privileges change.

About the only significant difference between 2nd and 3rd is the visual acuity requirement, which is 20/20 for 2nd and 20/40 for 3rd. Other than that, if it's a problem for one, it's almost certainly a problem for the other. If you're not sure about your vision, go get an eye test from your friendly local optometrist, and remember that these days the FAA only cares about corrected visual acuity, i.e., it's OK to wear corrective lenses to pass this test as long as you agree to wear them when flying.

Back