Scariest landing!

OkieAviator

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
OkieAviator
Had a Instrument lesson this morning for an hour. Then took a friend of mine to western Oklahoma where there was almost a direct 7 knot crosswind. Did one landing, full flaps on a 3500 ft paved field with no issues. Had to use a bit of brakes to make the turn off but that was about it.

Decided to not risk flying back without getting fuel (would of had just at 30 mins reserve), so flew up to Alva which has two 5,000 ft paved runways with the same 7 knot crosswind. Approach was going well, I was crabbed a bit, with my right wind dropped into the wind. As the right wing touched down it bounced a bit and pointed me about 30 degrees to the left, aiming off the runway. I tried to correct with some rudder and it just felt goofy as if I was beginning to slide. I went all in and inadvertently put all flaps up instead of 1 notch, I may have actually gone into the grass a bit but took back off. Went ahead and did the pattern and landed again with no issue.

Out of my 180 landings this takes the cakes for the scariest landing I've done. I'll learn from it and going to change some things. I think I'm pulled too far forward in the seat and may be sitting too high as well causing me to put some pressure on the brakes. Lower and back a bit I won't have to flex my foot back when on the rudders. I've also been told on 'windy' days in a 172 STOL plane you should use 2 notches of flaps, which is then followed by saying you should always try to use 3 notches on normal landings. Coming back to home field there was very little if any wind. I used 3 notches and it was a non-issue. So while I typically don't think 7 knots crosswind is 'windy', I'm going to take advantage of some of my instrument training flights and have the CFII supervise some 2 notch landings and see the difference. I've done them in the past by myself and they feel fast but they feel more controlled. Who knows I'm just glad I didn't cartwheel or nose plow the plane.

The important question is what did your friend think?!

He was freaked out a bit. Said in his non pilot opinion he thought I recovered from it well. He's starting lessons soon so glad he got to see a completely terrible landing.

He was freaked out a bit. Said in his non pilot opinion he thought I recovered from it well. He's starting lessons soon so glad he got to see a completely terrible landing.

Do you need new seat covers? was a proctologist required to help you exit the aircraft?

...Approach was going well, I was crabbed a bit, with my right wind dropped into the wind. As the right wing touched down it bounced a bit and pointed me about 30 degrees to the left, aiming off the runway...
Well there's your problem; The wing is supposed to stay in the air... :nono:

;)

Let's review:

No fatalities, no injuries, no bent metal, no damage to the cert.

Nice landing bro!

Ever considered a TW endorsement? Or do you have one? Just an idea maybe. :)

Well there's your problem; The wing is supposed to stay in the air...

Damn me for not proof reading. Mean wheel, would of been ****ed if it ran my wing on the ground.

I told my wife last night that I'm doing my instrument this year and tail wheel next year. There's a place in Tulsa that does it.... That said, I think a landing like today in a taildragger would of been very bad... Cartwheel maybe.

This landing really bothered me though. I called my ppl CFI whose almost family and talked with him. He warned me of trying to change too many things up and not over think it. He said he's seen me land in 10+ crosswinds so he knows I can do it. Just thinks maybe I got a gust or had a bad approach to begin with.

Damn me for not proof reading. Mean wheel, would of been ****ed if it ran my wing on the ground.

I told my wife last night that I'm doing my instrument this year and tail wheel next year. There's a place in Tulsa that does it.... That said, I think a landing like today in a taildragger would of been very bad... Cartwheel maybe.

This landing really bothered me though. I called my ppl CFI whose almost family and talked with him. He warned me of trying to change too many things up and not over think it. He said he's seen me land in 10+ crosswinds so he knows I can do it. Just thinks maybe I got a gust or had a bad approach to begin with.

Might think about whether you want full flaps in a crosswind.

I land with 10 degrees... Slightly higher airspeed means more rudder authority.

Paul

You salvaged it ,with the go around.you didn't get hurt,and learned a lesson. Couldn't have been that bad. Try using 10 on the flaps with high cross winds.

I did my highest X wind landing today in my 35 years of flying... 27 g37kts... Direct Xwind..... Nailed it the first time... Taxiing in to the hangar SUCKED.:yikes::hairraise:

I did my highest X wind landing today in my 35 years of flying... 27 g37kts... Direct Xwind..... Nailed it the first time... Taxiing in to the hangar SUCKED.:yikes::hairraise:

light breezes in Wyoming yesterday?

That's impressive.

I just had a 22 kt direct tail wind at monument valley. Company policy is there are no go arounds after 400 feet AGL. I thought that was tough. I cant wait till I get a 7kt direct x wind.

I just had a 22 kt direct tail wind at monument valley. Company policy is there are no go arounds after 400 feet AGL.

I'm missing the smiley on this one...would somebody 'splain the joke here? Or is Monument Valley a one-way in airport with a big pile of rocks? Maybe that's it.

Things happen, dont let it get you down. Sounds like you recovered nicely, consider it something to learn from.

I'm missing the smiley on this one...would somebody 'splain the joke here? Or is Monument Valley a one-way in airport with a big pile of rocks? Maybe that's it.

You got it. Its a one way with a big rock at the end

Last edited:

I did 42g49 straight across once....dont really have the desire to do that again

Yesterday at Billings 40 with gust to 51Kts.

KBIL 282253Z 29040G51KT 10SM FEW070 FEW180 17/M13 A2983 RMK AO2 PK WND 28064/2202 SLP089 VC BLDU FU NE-SE-W T01671133

An actual gust was reported at 60 kts... There were 5 fires around the area.

I did not fly yesterday...

Pfft...

#1 you are in Oklahoma.
#2 better get used to it

Had to plop the old bo down at Ponca city one day. Was something like 22kts gusting to 30 something.. The direction? Well, when they say variable in Oklahoma, they ain't kidding!

Still not the worst day I've had in Oklahoma or Kansas....

I did 42g49 straight across once....dont really have the desire to do that again

Just land 90 degrees to the runway? I say that only half in jest.

Just land 90 degrees to the runway? I say that only half in jest.

Actually..... I did...... In fact I took a video of it...

Young counter gal at the FBO baited her BF with "I locked my keys in my car" trick,,, He got a birthday plane ride... They both loved it.. Bumpy as hell but neither one of them got sick...... I gave her the SD card from the GO Pro... When I get it back I will post the video...

Had a Instrument lesson this morning for an hour. Then took a friend of mine to western Oklahoma where there was almost a direct 7 knot crosswind. Did one landing, full flaps on a 3500 ft paved field with no issues. Had to use a bit of brakes to make the turn off but that was about it.

Decided to not risk flying back without getting fuel (would of had just at 30 mins reserve), so flew up to Alva which has two 5,000 ft paved runways with the same 7 knot crosswind. Approach was going well, I was crabbed a bit, with my right wind dropped into the wind. As the right wing touched down it bounced a bit and pointed me about 30 degrees to the left, aiming off the runway. I tried to correct with some rudder and it just felt goofy as if I was beginning to slide. I went all in and inadvertently put all flaps up instead of 1 notch, I may have actually gone into the grass a bit but took back off. Went ahead and did the pattern and landed again with no issue.

Out of my 180 landings this takes the cakes for the scariest landing I've done. I'll learn from it and going to change some things. I think I'm pulled too far forward in the seat and may be sitting too high as well causing me to put some pressure on the brakes. Lower and back a bit I won't have to flex my foot back when on the rudders. I've also been told on 'windy' days in a 172 STOL plane you should use 2 notches of flaps, which is then followed by saying you should always try to use 3 notches on normal landings. Coming back to home field there was very little if any wind. I used 3 notches and it was a non-issue. So while I typically don't think 7 knots crosswind is 'windy', I'm going to take advantage of some of my instrument training flights and have the CFII supervise some 2 notch landings and see the difference. I've done them in the past by myself and they feel fast but they feel more controlled. Who knows I'm just glad I didn't cartwheel or nose plow the plane.

Don't worry, wait until you've had over 400 landings in the same craft ... it happens.

Try less flaps next time. And be especially ready for the go-around.

What does your POH say? Mine says 'no flaps' on X-wind. You will have to keep your speed up maybe 5-10knots faster. Fly it on and use the rudder. Those aren't foot rests down there ... :wink2:

Yeah, +1 for no flaps on strong x-wind landings. A little more speed = more rudder authority. If the runway is 3000 ft or longer, I wouldn't use flaps anyway and certainly if a x-wind involved. But then I fly a Mooney.

Actually..... I did...... In fact I took a video of it...

Young counter gal at the FBO baited her BF with "I locked my keys in my car" trick,,, He got a birthday plane ride... They both loved it.. Bumpy as hell but neither one of them got sick...... I gave her the SD card from the GO Pro... When I get it back I will post the video...

Yes yes, do share!

I fly a STOL 172 often, and it's always no flaps in a heavy wind for me. Otherwise it's just too floaty. Also, practice your slips. Slip with no flaps is my favorite way to handle a crosswind.

Why did you take out the flaps before airborn? Get the plane flying and stable first, even if in ground effect, then accelerate and milk the flaps out. It will climb with full flaps, especially light.

Never try to do too many things at the same time. If you are committing to a go around the first thing that happens regardless is all knobs forward until flying. Only then do you start to clean things up. Flaps produce lift, as long as you have excess HP, you will climb more quickly with them than without.

Habit I suppose, my go around procedure is carb heat off, full throttle at the same time and 1st notch of flaps. Then the rest progressively as I climb.

In my panic though I up'd all the flaps... Today I have an instrument training flight. We're going to do 20 degrees of flaps when we land.

Habit I suppose, my go around procedure is carb heat off, full throttle at the same time and 1st notch of flaps. Then the rest progressively as I climb.

In my panic though I up'd all the flaps... Today I have an instrument training flight. We're going to do 20 degrees of flaps when we land.

:confused: Why would you do that? You **** up once, so you want to assure a greater chance of having a worse **** up? You need to reassess your fears before you go flying again, because your decission making skills are going wrong here.

You also need to go fly with full flaps in and understand why you are doing things and making poor decisions for no reason.

Well meaning advice; grab a friendly CFI and find some x-wind runways. Get confident up to the demonstrated limit. Its an important skill, and you won't always have the luxury of a choice of runways.

:confused: Why would you do that? You **** up once, so you want to assure a greater chance of having a worse **** up? You need to reassess your fears before you go flying again, because your decission making skills are going wrong here.

You also need to go fly with full flaps in and understand why you are doing things and making poor decisions for no reason.

Do you do every landing with full flaps? Making that decision and not adapting to conditions has more risk associated with it than a reduction in flaps... in fact my PPL CFI had me do just that on some flights. The purpose was to give me some familiarity with the approach and landing with different degrees of a flaps. I've even done a few 20 degree flap landings solo in virtual no wind conditions. It's not a 'fear' thing... it's more asking myself does it make sense to do full flaps when there's a direct crosswind with some gusty conditions... well and asking people on the internet about their experiences.

The consensus seems to be a majority of pilots with STOL experience aren't against coming in with less flaps. Those I talked to in person including my new CFII with 48 years of flying experience who also owns a 172 say they typically land with 20 degrees flaps unless they're actually landing on a short field. The explanation given to me is that it provides more control authority while reducing wind susceptibility which is especially noticeable with crosswinds and gusts. One guy even said in his plane if he goes full flaps his angle of attack puts him extremely nose high and he can be almost full throttle on hot days... so he uses less flaps to reduce the drag.

So today on my instrument lesson my CFII was on board with having me do a 20 degree flap landing. It was pretty choppy out with maybe a 4-5 knot crosswind component but there was also a headwind. Did my usual pattern entry but turning final I didn't do my last notch of flaps. I kept my approach speed at 60, did a slight over flare, put some throttle in and set the plane down on the runway, centered up and everything. His only critique was that I didn't need to add any throttle because there was plenty of runway left... I was off at midfield.

Yes, I make every landing with full flaps unless there is a defect that doesn't allow it. All reducing flaps does is increase your kinetic energy at touch down, and damage and injury available when you make a mistake, goes up by the square with your speed.

You are screwing yourself from every angle, you even give up rudder control at the higher speed with less flaps. The more flaps I carry, the more throttle I can carry for a given speed increasing my rudder effectiveness. With full flaps I also have much greater finesse in control over my energy state.

Out of the three energies, altitude, airspeed, and engine, during landing, engine is the one I want holding me in flight in gusty conditions. Once I have the wheels down, I want the plane to stop flying ASAP, and that happens with full flaps landing at minimum speed.

Control the plane, don't let it control you. Reduced flaps on landing is the plane controlling you. That you had a panic reaction at all should point out that you should probably get some training with someone new.

Back