Severe weather - OKC 2015

overdrive148

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
overdrive148
Severe weather 2015

Today we had the first bout of severe weather. Apparently a few confirmed tornadoes that were relatively light in nature (nothing compared to the one from 2013). Reports on the news of 90mph winds and up to golf and baseball size hail. From the house:

eluMJpf.jpg

Last edited:
Got a little hail in my area, only sonic iced size (That's a size, right?). Stayed away from us for the most part though!

Got a little hail in my area, only sonic iced size (That's a size, right?). Stayed away from us for the most part though!

I'd say it was sonic sized here too :p for a minute or two tops. I was hearing golf ball size definitely headed towards us and the radar seemed to back that up, but fortunately it went north. So far I've only seen 3 tornadoes since I moved here in 2012 :nonod:

It was looking like it was going to get bad out in east for a bit, but I guess it didn't get quite as bad as they thought. Was pretty neat to watch on the radar... From the safety behind the storm :)

I'd say it was sonic sized here too :p for a minute or two tops. I was hearing golf ball size definitely headed towards us and the radar seemed to back that up, but fortunately it went north. So far I've only seen 3 tornadoes since I moved here in 2012 :nonod:

"Only" 3 tornadoes in three years?? I have never seen a tornado but have had a couple of close calls--once inside the heavy hail band, the second during the derecho storm a few years ago.

I've spent >30 years on or near the coast in the South, and I've seen three hurricanes. One per decade on average, and we usually get 3-4 days advance warning.

Hope the damage in OKC isn't too bad.

There's a killer tomato storm on top of us right now. Lights went out t 8:30. House running on generator. Crick's a risin'!

Luck was with you this time. Be safe.

We are safe, too. Would have joined neighbors in their tornado shelter except the phone kept ringing. Kids checking up on us to see if we were still OK. There are disadvantages to having so many.

Still have power. Only damage appears to be a limb from dead cottonwood tree. And, of course, the taxiway is flooded.

Took this after the storm was pretty much past. Our place is about where the 'k' is in Skiatook, 5 north of Tulsa airport.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3761.JPG
    IMG_3761.JPG
    647 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
My house is under the "u" in Burfordville.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60
Welcome back to spring in the heart of tornado alley. Couple of good sized cells went by here, but fortunately I was in a gap. I watched the cell to the north form into a mesocyclone and start to hook, but it never produced a 'nader. It was the cell just south of Anadarko in your third picture. Fortunately, it started to lose intensity as it was passing overhead. I don't like that kind of weather while I'm on duty at the gas plant. :eek:

Those power flashes in the city were wicked. Sounds like Sand Springs got the worst of it.

Last edited:
Welcome back to spring in the heart of tornado alley. Couple of good sized cells went by here, but fortunately I was in a gap. I watched the cell to the north form into a mesocyclone and start to hook, but it never produced a 'nader. It was the cell just south of Anadarko in your third picture. Fortunately, it started to lose intensity as it was passing overhead. I don't like that kind of weather while I'm on duty at the gas plant. :eek:

When I lived in Lawton I decided that God must hate OK. We were constantly in some form of extreme weather. I hope this is an anomaly for you vs. a long tough spring.

WOW! You and Chris ok?

Oh, yeah, she's snoozing next to me. A rather steep hill that's about 100' tall rises to the west immediately behind our house. It'd have to be one powerful tornado not to skip over the top of us and only touch back down in the field across the creek.

Got a feeling I'm going to be cleaning up some trees tomorrow though. Lots and lots of very close lightning strikes.

Power's still out, generator's still humming away.

Yeah, in the 32 years I've lived in Oklahoma, I've never seen a tornado in person. I've seen plenty of damage from the aftermath, but not while in progress. Tulsa proper and Broken Arrow don't get hit too often, nor does Norman where the NWS is located.

Definitely not fun. Kansas City Center did a good job routing all of us around it.

"Only" 3 tornadoes in three years?? I have never seen a tornado but have had a couple of close calls--once inside the heavy hail band, the second during the derecho storm a few years ago.

I've spent >30 years on or near the coast in the South, and I've seen three hurricanes. One per decade on average, and we usually get 3-4 days advance warning.

Hope the damage in OKC isn't too bad.
Yeah, the first one was in Shawnee on May 19 2013 - I was working at a Braum's and a guy walked in and said "Tornado's comin'". I, being a masterful pilot and expert on all things weather, didn't believe him. Sky got incredibly dark, clouds started doing weird things, I thought there was no way that it could happen. Tornado touched down to the west and started heading our way. I remember standing in the parking lot watching in complete awe as it became visible thinking that the world was over.

I asked where the storm shelter was and they said there wasn't one - WHAT?? How could you live somewhere with those terrifying things and not have a shelter in every workplace or house?? Are you nuts! Where do we go? The milk room - surrounded by glass. Awesome. So we're sitting there, I'm fully expecting to die at this point, and I hear over the headset...

*ding ding* Yeah, I'd like two number 7's, a number 4 with--

That's as far as he got. I told him to pull forward. Stormed out of the milk room, flung open the drive through window, and told him to go the hell home. The tornado was visible on that side of the building, the sirens are right across the freakin' street, and you're gonna go order food???

So the tornado cuts a path north and dissipates and I think it's all over and done with. No. That was the single busiest night we had since I started. All 3 stores ran out of meat, we lost like 3 workers who "had to go help" and it was 3 of us running the whole store. It was a war zone - natural disaster must make people hungry for fast food.

-

So after being incredibly frustrated because it was basically the end of my 2 week notice for work at the sales job north of OKC, and I wanted to just walk out, I decided to wait it out. I got the new job, and on the first day of training, there were more severe weather patterns and I was being told about it as I got there in the morning.

We went to go park our cars in the hangar. I asked why, and I was told due to hail. "Like dime/quarter size?" I asked. They actually laughed, and proceeded to show me pics of baseball, nearly softball size hail wrecking some guy's pool on youtube. Awesome. So sufficiently scared with my car parked in a corner of the hangar, we go walking back to the main building. When suddenly, off in the distance, I hear that magical sound. The sound of tornado sirens cranking up. And I don't even stop to ask - I just take off running. As fast as I possibly can to the main building.

I trip and fall and wreck my brand new work pants and roll right back into running and make it inside. Everyone asks what happened and why my pants are destroyed. I told them the sirens are on, and they start laughing. I actually had to have a write-up later about why I injured myself. Reason - running from tornado. Resolution - don't run from tornado.

Anyway, so this huge hook echo passes DIRECTLY over the building on radar on the TV. I know this because I wasn't in a storm shelter because, naturally, they don't have one either. We waited and waited, there was noise, wind, stuff running into the building, but nothing that would break it down. Against my judgement we went outside soon after the noise stopped and ended up dropping not too long after.

-

Being completely paranoid about every cloud in the sky like it was going to pick up my car and throw it into the air, I asked to go home. And had to poke and prod to be able to do so, considering I lived over an hour and 10 mins away. And I'd like to be home before the proverbial feces hits the fan.

And with my luck, this was May 20th. The TV channel said that there was a chance of "Large tornadoes". There was a map, forever engraved into my mind, with multiple layers for tornado chances for OKC. 10%, 15%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 90%, and Large. Large - That's not a percentage?

On the drive home, I'm listening to the radio and it's getting worse and worse. Traffic is increasing but not to the point that I can't get home. As I get into Shawnee, I decide that if it's really coming, I'd better be ready so I picked up some essentials and supplies. As I am walking out of the Walmart, I notice these strange clouds hanging down from the anvil. Huh. Those look like... oh crap. Before the storm started dropping tornadoes, it was moving a strong NE. It turned the whole storm straight east, directly towards Shawnee. The record holding tornado did its thing in Moore, and spawned additional tornadoes headed our way.

I ran home and grabbed my GF and got some go bags built and ready. She didn't think it was relevant, but after the sirens came on, it made a bit more sense. Drove us to the nearest "storm shelter" which was in the basement of OBU in Shawnee. The sprint from the car to the door had me absolutely soaked. I had never, ever in my life seen so much water coming from the sky at once. I had never heard so much thunder that there wasn't a single gap in the sound. Between the many, many flashes of lightning on the way to OBU, I could see something incredibly thick and dense to the north, but at the time didn't really care about it considering I was nearly panicking. After staying in the basement for about 5 hours, the all clear was given, and it turned out that another tornado had gone by a mile or two to the north, out of town.

And then today - I could see the wall cloud for the one in the metro but I couldn't actually see it so I didn't count it. Also, mind you, that I am originally from the High Desert in CA. It rains a grand total of 4 inches of rain per year on average. The single storm on May 20 dropped about that much (from reports the day after).

There's a killer tomato storm on top of us right now. Lights went out t 8:30. House running on generator. Crick's a risin'!

Tomato storm! That sounds worse than a thunderstorm! :lol:

We are safe, too. Would have joined neighbors in their tornado shelter except the phone kept ringing. Kids checking up on us to see if we were still OK. There are disadvantages to having so many.

Still have power. Only damage appears to be a limb from dead cottonwood tree. And, of course, the taxiway is flooded.

Took this after the storm was pretty much past. Our place is about where the 'k' is in Skiatook, 5 north of Tulsa airport.
Glad that missed you.

My house is under the "u" in Burfordville.
:hairraise:

Yeah, in the 32 years I've lived in Oklahoma, I've never seen a tornado in person. I've seen plenty of damage from the aftermath, but not while in progress. Tulsa proper and Broken Arrow don't get hit too often, nor does Norman where the NWS is located.
You have to hang out with me, I swear they are hunting me. :D

Those power flashes in the city were wicked. Sounds like Sand Springs got the worst of it.

Those power flashes were intense indeed, I couldn't see any tornado but the winds and the debris totally spelled it out. Man would I hate to clean up after that mess.

Yeah, not to dog on Moore, but that place is a tornado magnet. When I was in Norman (2001-2005) I had a girlfriend who lived in an apartment in Moore which had a refrigerator with hail damage on the top of it . . . from one of the previous tornadoes that had ripped the roof off of the complex and damaged the unit according to the manager.

Side note: there's always some interesting folklore about why certain towns (like Norman/Broken Arrow) don't get hit with tornadoes with any regularity or significant intensity. Usually involves Native American tribal leader/medicine man "protection" decreed centuries ago.

I feel a lot less safe living in Norman instead of Shawnee. I'd see all the severe t-storm warnings all over the place in OKC and south OKC and Shawnee wouldn't get hit. They were saying it absolutely would be hit by the hail core on the 2nd storm but it went north. Glad, because the windows on the FBO are pretty big and it would've really hurt them if that was the case.

Not a big tornado that I could see, but it did make some power lines sparkle. A few cars got flipped too. And it's only the beginning of the thunderstorm season. Part of me coming from the desert loves to see such massive and powerful storms roll through (I was used to 360 days of sun and wind, no clouds, then 5 days of rain, or even 1 of snow!) but the other part of me reminds me that I'm -in- the path of said storms.

Some of the people in the apartment and a few friends in OKC didn't even know severe weather was happening. I knew for 3 days that it was coming, and had everything on as soon as it was starting. :confused:

Some of the people in the apartment and a few friends in OKC didn't even know severe weather was happening. I knew for 3 days that it was coming, and had everything on as soon as it was starting. :confused:

you'll get used to it too, and soon...

Oklahoma is a fine place...to have in yer rear view mirror....

you'll get used to it too, and soon...

Oklahoma is a fine place...to have in yer rear view mirror....

There's no way I'd ever get complacent with storms this size. Ever :yikes:

Everyone I tell the story above to asks me why the hell I moved from California to Oklahoma :p

It is an...interesting place, but I do enjoy the change of scenery and weather, even if it includes billboards that say "Follow me away from METH!" and "She's Someone's Daughter".

Still looking on moving once I get a good enough job elsewhere.

The fun thing about Oklahoma is that most non-residents see OK as being flat/dry plains like the western portion of the state. OKC and Tulsa look nothing alike in layout or topography, and neither of those look like Lawton or Guymon, lol.

That was one big clustermess of rain, hail, wind and "fun". When I saw the prognostic chart yesterday that showed the cold front coming south and the warm front pushing north, I told the wife "this will get ugly".
Sure enough, by nightfall, OK and AR were covered in wide storms, flooding rain and violent wind. Hope everybody is okay. The cold front never made it down here, we are having another gorgeous day, no rain in sight. :( I bet Okies would have gladly traded some last night!

The storms were out of here by 10pm last night. There was still piles of hail along the roadways at 4pm today when I was driving home...it was 50 here today.

:hairraise:

I was working on the ultralight when the phone rang. It was my son, wondering where the heck I was. He was watching the news, like a responsible guy, I had the Eagles cranked up. Missed most of it.

vQVgFTN.jpg

Reports of golf to baseball size hail in Shawnee last night. We have a lake on the approach end of 35!

Hope everyone's o.k. in OK.

You couldn't pay me to live in a trailer house up there ....:nonod:

Lol, I agree. Mobile homes are a ridiculous idea in Oklahoma/tornado alley states. I wouldn't make them illegal because I believe it helps with population control.

OUCH! Was this damage on your trailing edge?

Not mine! That's from a plane that was on the ramp (extended stay tiedown). Boss wasn't able to get him in the hangar before the storm hit. That's damage to the left aileron. :no: There are other dings and a couple other substantial dents on the control surfaces but it could have been worse. The thing is still here so it must have been tied down really well... Gust locks on and installed too.

Pilot has been informed and he's going to get insurance to take care of it - "It's what I pay them for!" was his general response. Told me it'd probably make his plane even faster with the dents and dimples, like a golf ball with wings. I think he's onto something :rofl: at least he has a good sense of humor.

Also don't knock on the trailer parks of Oklahoma - they're like magnets that keep the tornadoes away from the rest of us! :lol:

Not mine! That's from a plane that was on the ramp (extended stay tiedown). Boss wasn't able to get him in the hangar before the storm hit. That's damage to the left aileron. :no: There are other dings and a couple other substantial dents on the control surfaces but it could have been worse. The thing is still here so it must have been tied down really well... Gust locks on and installed too.

Pilot has been informed and he's going to get insurance to take care of it - "It's what I pay them for!" was his general response. Told me it'd probably make his plane even faster with the dents and dimples, like a golf ball with wings. I think he's onto something :rofl: at least he has a good sense of humor.

Also don't knock on the trailer parks of Oklahoma - they're like magnets that keep the tornadoes away from the rest of us! :lol:
Ain't that the truth....

Kinda like the sacrificial sheep....:yikes:.........:redface:

they're more like appetizers, ya know, get ya reved up before the main course of destruction....

I sat through way to many tornados passing through the OKC area. One big storm lifted the roof off of our huge hangar. The roof slammed back down and showered the airplanes below with small rocks and gravel. One Navajo ended up with a broken windshield.

My Dad's elementary school here in TX was hit way back and some kids were killed. It never left him.

He'd pace the floors when the weather was bad looking out the windows... day or night.

One death in Sand Springs, just across the river SW from downtown Tulsa. 11,000 without power in Tulsa. Another tornado hit Moore. Moore, again. So sad.

http://www.weather.com/storms/sever...lahoma-kansas-arkansas-missouri-texas-impacts
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/extremely-dangerous-tornado-heading-tulsa-oklahoma-area-n330246

Forgot to mention, got a phone call a few days ago from sister-in-law from Moore, OK. She said her house, her daughter's, and her son's houses were not hit, but they don't have power or phone service except a cell phone with failing battery. The school across the street was hit.
http://newsok.com/eight-schools-in-...-hardest-hit-to-reopen-friday/article/5404941

TV here in Tulsa is now airing stories about rip-off artists offering bogus repair scams.

Is that the old 172 out in front of the terminal?
Yeah.

My Dad's elementary school here in TX was hit way back and some kids were killed. It never left him.

He'd pace the floors when the weather was bad looking out the windows... day or night.

:/

I have a pretty strong appreciation and respect for weather. Mostly because it is something that can up and kill you if you aren't paying attention. The chances are small but people enter the lottery for smaller chances. :dunno: I still respect earthquakes even though I'm from CA and people here freak out about 3's and 4's.

they're more like appetizers, ya know, get ya reved up before the main course of destruction....

Like running down the buffet line to the dessert bar?

I sat through way to many tornados passing through the OKC area. One big storm lifted the roof off of our huge hangar. The roof slammed back down and showered the airplanes below with small rocks and gravel. One Navajo ended up with a broken windshield.

In the big one in Moore 2013 there was a hangar that collapsed and damaged an MD80 or something. All bad!

Forgot to mention, got a phone call a few days ago from sister-in-law from Moore, OK. She said her house, her daughter's, and her son's houses were not hit, but they don't have power or phone service except a cell phone with failing battery. The school across the street was hit.
http://newsok.com/eight-schools-in-...-hardest-hit-to-reopen-friday/article/5404941

TV here in Tulsa is now airing stories about rip-off artists offering bogus repair scams.

I don't know what it is about Moore that attracts tornadoes. They seem to get hit an -awful- lot. Glad your sister in law is safe.

Back