What kind of quick drain is this?

CJZAV

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
czav
Looking to change the oil in my arrow (my first time at it) and found this quick drain installed. I haven't had any luck finding a similar looking one seaching them out in available pics on the web. In any case, I need the probe to do the job without making a mess. Anyone know what type it is and if the matching probe is available?

Attachments

• 20150323_161459.jpg
    20150323_161459.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 117
Really? It seems that only the center portion (~3/8" dia) of mine protrudes past the hex area. On the one shown it seems there is an outer area with larger diameter that protrudes past the hex. At least that's what I think I see from the pic.

Am I missing something?

You may just have half a quick drain unit:yikes:

Looking to change the oil in my arrow (my first time at it) and found this quick drain installed. I haven't had any luck finding a similar looking one seaching them out in available pics on the web. In any case, I need the probe to do the job without making a mess. Anyone know what type it is and if the matching probe is available?

I suspect from the spruce catalog that there is a matching part (the plastic piece) that you connect to a drain line, and that snaps into the brass part you see there, and opens the drain.

That's the special Piper quick drain that uses a drain tube adapter. I just looked at mine in my tool box the other day. There is usually an empty clip where it used to be stowed but time mechanics run off with them. I bought the straight and 90 degree adaptors.

The service difficulty reports are littered with reports of owners putting a standard drain valve on Arrows and making an auto oil drain system. Gear up, drain valve opens. There isn't enough room for anything else. The FAA issued a memo about this a number of years ago

Never have liked quick drains. They leak, leave dirty oil in the crankcase, and they leak. I have a box full of them as I replace them with a standard plug. If you don't have time to take the oil plug out and let it drip for a couple of hours you aren't doing a proper oil change. You need to go to lunch or drink a few beers.

Back