Looking for an A&P with IA in Bay Area

Dav8or

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
I'm hoping to find a guy who is near by where my plane is hangared in Byron, CA (C83) and is willing to travel here and help me with minor repairs from time to time.

For example-

What I want to do immediately is pull my mags off and send them out for inspection and then reinstalled. I can get them off, boxed up and shipped, but I need help putting them back on, timed and signed off. I need to save money like everyone else and also taking my plane to some other airport and then arranging transport during the down time is a PITA.

Anybody know of any independent mechanics that could help me out?

Thanks!

I'm hoping to find a guy who is near by where my plane is hangared in Byron, CA (C83) and is willing to travel here and help me with minor repairs from time to time.

For example-

What I want to do immediately is pull my mags off and send them out for inspection and then reinstalled. I can get them off, boxed up and shipped, but I need help putting them back on, timed and signed off. I need to save money like everyone else and also taking my plane to some other airport and then arranging transport during the down time is a PITA.

Anybody know of any independent mechanics that could help me out?

Thanks!

Why do you need an IA for those things?

Jim

Why do you need an IA for those things?

Jim

I really don't know all the regs on every operation, but I am looking for someone I can turn to in the future for whatever comes up. It's my understanding (I may be wrong, FAR experts feel free to school me) that if I do the work, an IA needs to sign off. I want to be able to do as much work as possible. I would like a paid partner, hopefully not just a just a "Hand me the keys and I'll let you know when it's done." kind of guy, BUT a guy like this could be useful too! I'd like to know this guy too.

More likely for in the future of the relationship when it comes time to get the annual done.

That's OK, but that's not what the OP said. I can understand that, but he specifically said he wanted to build a relationship with a person for minor repairs and such. If in fact he is wanting an annual person, then yes, the IA is necessary. For simple owner maintenance an A&P is sufficient.

Just trying to find out what the REAL intention is and steer the OP the right way.

Jim

That's OK, but that's not what the OP said. I can understand that, but he specifically said he wanted to build a relationship with a person for minor repairs and such. If in fact he is wanting an annual person, then yes, the IA is necessary. For simple owner maintenance an A&P is sufficient.

Just trying to find out what the REAL intention is and steer the OP the right way.

Jim

True, but in general, most of the good guys who work out of their truck and come to your hangar hold an IA anyway, so the issue is somewhat marginal.

I'm pretty much the resident IA at Byron, Dave knows me and we've worked together before. There's really no one left anymore out here and few people who do what I do anywhere. My wife of 40 years had been battling cancer for the past two years and for the past six months we've been in hospice with me by her side every minute. She passed away early Sunday morning and right now there is a giant hole in my universe that I don't know if I can ever refill.

Right now I'm completely devastated and in no shape to work on anyone's airplane including my own but I will be back eventually. I know this doesn't really belong here and I'm sorry for even posting it but I want Dave and all of my other clients to know that I will be back. My wife's wake is Saturday afternoon and afterwards I'm packing the Land Rover up and going north. I don't expect to be gone more than a month after which I'm going back to work and will will be back at the airport getting my own aircraft back into shape.

I will get through this as so many before me have.

Wow. No need to apologize, IMO. Heartfelt condolences.

I'm pretty much the resident IA at Byron, Dave knows me and we've worked together before. There's really no one left anymore out here and few people who do what I do anywhere. My wife of 40 years had been battling cancer for the past two years and for the past six months we've been in hospice with me by her side every minute. She passed away early Sunday morning and right now there is a giant hole in my universe that I don't know if I can ever refill.

Right now I'm completely devastated and in no shape to work on anyone's airplane including my own but I will be back eventually. I know this doesn't really belong here and I'm sorry for even posting it but I want Dave and all of my other clients to know that I will be back. My wife's wake is Saturday afternoon and afterwards I'm packing the Land Rover up and going north. I don't expect to be gone more than a month after which I'm going back to work and will will be back at the airport getting my own aircraft back into shape.

Like I said to you before Paul, I totally empathize with your situation and await your return, however take the full time you need. There will always be busted airplanes. The healing process is a *****, but a road trip might just be a good beginning. I wish you well on your new journey and my sincerest condolences and prayers to you and your family.

Jim

Well, having not scoured the FARs about maintenance, I'm a little muddy on what requires an IA and what doesn't. I suppose I might need to read up.

Well, having not scoured the FARs about maintenance, I'm a little muddy on what requires an IA and what doesn't. I suppose I might need to read up.

The IA is needed for annual inspections and major repairs or major alterations.

A repair station certificate with appropriate authority is needed to perform transponder inspections required by 91.413.

She passed away early Sunday morning and right now there is a giant hole in my universe that I don't know if I can ever refill.

In most relationships one or the other goes through this. I am so sorry that she was taken from you. I can't imagine life without Cyndi and I cannot comprehend what you are going through. The only consolation, if any, is that it is only time until you will be with her again.

Peace and blessings,

Jim

:( Bummer, take care, have a safe trip and heal. BTW, there is no hole, everything she ever was is still there, it's just transparent.

Have you strolled over to the Patriots hanger and asked Randy if he knows anyone. Sounds like you need to ask around. I know fo two others that are IA's, that are out there. But I wouldn't give out there name with out their permission.

Have you strolled over to the Patriots hanger and asked Randy if he knows anyone. Sounds like you need to ask around. I know fo two others that are IA's, that are out there. But I wouldn't give out there name with out their permission.

I have asked Randy. He couldn't think of anybody except Paul, but thought there might be somebody that works with the glider guys, so on the weekend I'll go ask them.

Back