Transporting guns on private plane

Put them in the back of the plane, don't try to carry them through a pax terminal, carry on. There are no special issues that apply to a plane. Just treat the load out same as if you were driving them there.

Calguns is a great resource. There are persons there who are professionally active in 2A issues.

As a resident of CA I have learned that sometimes it can come down to the type of 'packaging' in which the weapon is transported. Ex: a rifle carried in anything other than a gun bag which is specifically designed to carry a rifle may invite trouble. Even walking from your home to your vehicle may constitute brandishing...unless carried in aforementioned case.

Too, do not self-confess, ie, think you are being nice and cooperative by telling any LEO or agent that you have firearms. And if they ask, you may choose not to answer. And do not ever consent to a search.

Put them in the back of the plane, don't try to carry them through a pax terminal, carry on. There are no special issues that apply to a plane. Just treat the load out same as if you were driving them there.

Soooo, loaded in the front seat!??

It's legal to carry on federal land, but not inside a federal building. The question which arises from that is - I'm in a National Forest, I go to use an outhouse in the NF, am I in a federal building?

Generally if the building is not STAFFED, you're ok.

Soooo, loaded in the front seat!??

Wouldn't bother me since no one will see or care, but if you want to be technically correct, you have to follow the rules of the state you are in which will be the same as in a car. The only thing it brings to my mind is, "Why would I need a gun in the front seat of a plane?":dunno:

Wouldn't bother me since no one will see or care, but if you want to be technically correct, you have to follow the rules of the state you are in which will be the same as in a car. The only thing it brings to my mind is, "Why would I need a gun in the front seat of a plane?":dunno:

So you can shoot out the window, duh! :wink2:

I will check the Calguns website and see if AOPA has details as well. So it would be a few hunting rifles locked and the ammo separate containers in baggage compartment.

I will check the Calguns website and see if AOPA has details as well. So it would be a few hunting rifles locked and the ammo separate containers in baggage compartment.

The only states where that could be an issue would be NY, MA and NJ. As mentioned, you can't taxi into the magic yellow box on the ramp where the EAS plane is handled.

I believe there is a law in MT that you have to have a rifle in your car. If you dont have one, one will be provided to you :wink2: .

The 'locked container' issue applies mostly if you want to take advantage of a 'peaceable journey' protection such as FOPA. In most places it is perfectly legal to have an unloaded rifle in your vehicle, so a soft-sided rifle case or scabbard will be just fine. Putting it in a lockable case makes things easier if you have to land somewhere where you are not familiar with the firearms laws.

Last edited:
I believe there is a law in MT that you have to have a rifle in your car. If you dont have one, one will be provided to you :wink2: .

They've updated it, liberals dontchaknow. Now if you don't have a rifle you are supposed to carry hot sauce. It turns out that bears like tourists better if they are covered with hot sauce.

The only states where that could be an issue would be NY, MA and NJ. As mentioned, you can't taxi into the magic yellow box on the ramp where the EAS plane is handled.

It's a red box on my field labelled "TSA secured area". :rofl:

Saw a geriatric in a piper colt taxi right thru it last Sunday. Tower didn't say a word. Good thing it's a Delta field and not a Bravo.

BTW...I've seen numerous references to "federal land" in this thread. How many airports are federal land? None I use...that I'm aware of anyway.

Drunk can't crash a plane he's not in. Being armed does not mean you will win the fight or survive the flight either.

Weapons are a tool, just like a rake or hoe. Not every situation calls for a rake or hoe, but it's good to have the option should bad things happen.

Yeah I rather just not fly nut jobs around.

As for not loaded and locked away, for me at least, that defeats part of the reason for it, if it's part of a survival kit you don't want it locked away in a far place of the plane and the ammo else where.

Drunk can't crash a plane he's not in. Being armed does not mean you will win the fight or survive the flight either.

Who said anything about him getting into the plane? JK. But, no, letting a drunk in the plane is a bad idea. But it can be hard to judge someone's level of drunkenness. Do what you have to do to save others on the flight. My boss has a son with severe autism, and thinks he would enjoy an airplane ride. Says he does really well when he has something to focus on, which never having flown in a small plane he thinks it will help him with that. After the horror stories he has told us about his son's problems, there is no way I'm giving him a ride.

Actually, in MA it wouldn't be an issue (except for the idiotic rules against the so-called "assault weapon" as defined by the moronic 1994 fed law). That is, non-residents can transport most firearms in their vehicles for certain reasons, including hunting. Surprisingly, MA is much less firearm-hostile than the morons in NYC and CT.

Who said anything about him getting into the plane? JK. But, no, letting a drunk in the plane is a bad idea. But it can be hard to judge someone's level of drunkenness. Do what you have to do to save others on the flight. My boss has a son with severe autism, and thinks he would enjoy an airplane ride. Says he does really well when he has something to focus on, which never having flown in a small plane he thinks it will help him with that. After the horror stories he has told us about his son's problems, there is no way I'm giving him a ride.

I would, just rent a 4 seater for the first flight so dad can sit behind him to restrain him in case of a severe reaction. Autism is of course hard to judge exactly what will happen next and varies greatly between individuals, however autistics in my experience tend to be very predictable in their behaviors. The behaviors may be extreme, but the triggers known.

Actually, in MA it wouldn't be an issue (except for the idiotic rules against the so-called "assault weapon" as defined by the moronic 1994 fed law). That is, non-residents can transport most firearms in their vehicles for certain reasons, including hunting. Surprisingly, MA is much less firearm-hostile than the morons in NYC and CT.

Dont you have a mag limit on shotguns ?

Dont you have a mag limit on shotguns ?

yes and no

"a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine."
Are there a lot of hunting or trap shotguns that would be non-compliant? I don't know (I'm only just getting started with trap shooting using an over/under).

yes and no

"a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine."
Are there a lot of hunting or trap shotguns that would be non-compliant? I don't know (I'm only just getting started with trap shooting using an over/under).

So a 8 rd pistol grip pump is a-ok. A semi with 6 rds is not. That makes so much sense.....

So a 8 rd pistol grip pump is a-ok. A semi with 6 rds is not. That makes so much sense.....

The proper characterization of the anti-gun irrationality would pop (no pun) us into the spin zone.

Semi AUTOMATIC, anything with the word automatic tends to scare uneducated folks, heck I'm surprised they don't have a lower cap limits on any shotgun that's painted flat black too (scary color).

I carry a pistol in my headset bag inside my flight bag. If there is a questionable patient onboard I put my headset bag between my left leg and the side of the plane.

It is illegal to carry a firearm in the indian reservations, which is where I fly to a lot.

I carry a pistol in my headset bag inside my flight bag. If there is a questionable patient onboard I put my headset bag between my left leg and the side of the plane.

It is illegal to carry a firearm in the indian reservations, which is where I fly to a lot.

Are you worried your med crew won't be able to sedate a pt in time, or before they get on the plane in some cases?

Better living through chemistry :)

What states do you fly in?

After the incident in New Jersey involving a man arrested for carrying a 300 year old flintlock in his car, I would be careful about carrying a handgun into other states.

A check of state laws might save you from an expensive trip to jail.

A 300-year-old flintlock pistol may be the exact kind of weapon the Second Amendment was written to protect.

But for 72-year-old Gordon van Gilder — who's a collector of 18th century antiques — he says he’s facing up to 10 years in prison because he was found possessing such a weapon at a New Jersey traffic stop.

"Beware of New Jersey. Don't come here. Don't live here," the retired teacher recently told NRA News following his big bust for unlawful, felony weapons possession in the Garden State.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...years-prison-antique-pistol-article-1.2119340

The prosecutor was a loud mouthed bully. She finally backed down and announced she wouldn't press charges against the man. This was after a week in which she said things like 'The law is the law' and other stupid statements.

Are you worried your med crew won't be able to sedate a pt in time, or before they get on the plane in some cases?

Better living through chemistry :)

More worried about sitting alone at the isolated and remote airstrips we go to.

Do you have a concealed carry permit, valid in the states where you land? Are you familiar with the laws in each state regarding weapons, and how they can be carried, duty to notify, etc.? What is your company's policy regarding weapons, and are you authorized to do what you are doing under policy, insurance?

If you can't answer affirmative to these, then you should stop doing this NOW, until you resolve each condition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Semi AUTOMATIC, anything with the word automatic tends to scare uneducated folks, heck I'm surprised they don't have a lower cap limits on any shotgun that's painted flat black too (scary color).

wait - they paint guns? :eek::eek::goofy:

I think you guys are over complicating things....this is not a TSA flight.

Take yours loaded unloaded, in your lap, stuffed in your waistband, whatever.....it's not a regulated flight.

Ahmen! Don't make it into a problem that isn't one!

Back