Moving again

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
Been much more of a lurker here in recent months but I wanted to pass on to my friends that I'm moving again. We've enjoyed the last three years in the UP but the career takes me to San Francisco beginning next week. Will probably settle in the East Bay area. Hope to utilize Buchanan Field or some other nearby airport for the occasional fun flight, and with our family connection to Minden/Gardnerville, NV I hope to break into gliders when I have time.

Cheerio...

Last edited:
You'll love it there. I lived in east bay area (Pleasanton) for a while. You can take BART into the city. Enjoy it!

You'll love it there. I lived in east bay area (Pleasanton) for a while. You can take BART into the city. Enjoy it!

I interviewed in Pleasanton a while back. At the time it was 4x the cost of living from where I am now! :eek:

Last edited:
I interviewed in Pleasanton a while back. At the time it was 4x the cost of living from where I am now! :eek:

Not quite that bad for me, though a fairly substantial raise will be swallowed up by the cost of living. But being near grandparents, extended family, the family business, mountains, ocean...priceless. Won't hurt my feelings to take a break from snow for a couple years, either. Been shoveling prodigious amounts since the nineties.

Peoplesoft? Fortunately my company paid for my apartment, but yes it is EXPENSIVE. Housing is very, very high, but so is everything else. They wanted me to stay their permanently, but no way. There is a lot to see and do in that region though.

Peoplesoft? Fortunately my company paid for my apartment, but yes it is EXPENSIVE. Housing is very, very high, but so is everything else. They wanted me to stay their permanently, but no way. There is a lot to see and do in that region though.

No, it was when I still doing structural detailing. Couldn't even tell you the name of the company. I had the job if I wanted it, but even at twice the pay - which is what the offer was - I would have been behind financially trying to just live out there.

Very cool. I plan to head out there permanently, uh, soon, although "soon" can mean a number of things, especially when it come to me, the great procrastinator.

No, it was when I still doing structural detailing. Couldn't even tell you the name of the company. I had the job if I wanted it, but even at twice the pay - which is what the offer was - I would have been behind financially trying to just live out there.

I was laid off for a while in the early 2000's, and I interviewed for a plant manager job in Orange, CA. Their offer wasn't enough to make me move, so I countered with what I thought to be a salary that would provide equivalent standard of living (after checking a few cost of living calculators on the web). They said their offer was the final offer, and they could "find qualified candidates all day long" at the salary they were offering. "Go get 'em" was my reply.

I like California, but could never make it work $$$ wise.

Not quite that bad for me, though a fairly substantial raise will be swallowed up by the cost of living. But being near grandparents, extended family, the family business, mountains, ocean...priceless. Won't hurt my feelings to take a break from snow for a couple years, either. Been shoveling prodigious amounts since the nineties.

Does NPS provide housing ???

The Presidio and Alameda used to have fed housing. Probably private by now.

The Presidio and Alameda used to have fed housing. Probably private by now.

Yep. Presidio is now a public/private trust and it is private leasing. Expensive too. There's government housing across the GG bridge in Marin County and I'll have a duplex unit there temporarily while searching.

We've been looking at Castro Valley/Dublin/Pleasanton. Wife's great grandfather was one of the founders of what is now Hayward. But I hope to be closer in somewheres.

Last edited:
Regional office puke. Downtown in the 333 Bush Street development.
I worked in 1 Bush, which was then the Crown Zellerbach building for a while back when I was in college.

I love the GGNRA. My other residence is within easy walking distance of Land's End and I make it a point to go for walks every time I visit. When (haha) I move there I hope to volunteer.

I worked in 1 Bush, which was then the Crown Zellerbach building for a while back when I was in college.

I love the GGNRA. My other residence is within easy walking distance of Land's End and I make it a point to go for walks every time I visit. When (haha) I move there I hope to volunteer.

That area's great and I imagine we'll spend a lot of weekends there. I'll be at Fort Barry along Bunker Road for now, and taking the ferry downtown from Sausalito.

Interested in a tenant until you move? I have good references

That area's great and I imagine we'll spend a lot of weekends there. I'll be at Fort Barry along Bunker Road for now, and taking the ferry downtown from Sausalito.

Interested in a tenant until you move? I have good references
Unfortunately the condo isn't ready to rent. There's lots of stuff in it and I need to reorganize. In fact I'm going back next month to supervise the painting. At the very least it needs painting. I wish all this stuff could be magically done for me!

Commiefornia?

My sincerest condolences.... :lol:

"Pleasanton is reported being number 4 by 'USA Today' in 'America's 50 best cities to live in' in 2014, number 63 in Money's list of 'The Best Places to Live' in 2010, and was also named one of 'Americans' Top Hometown Spots' in the United States in 2009 by Forbes.

Pleasanton was named the third wealthiest city in terms of earnings in the United States by NerdWallet in 2013."

It is represented by a Republican State Assemblywoman, a Democratic US congressman, and the State Senate seat is vacant and is expected to be very competitive in upcoming elections.

Yes, woe is me. It is so expensive because no one wants to live there.

Not my first choice, sure. Ahead of Texas of course. And Michigan ;)

Last edited:
Back