Embarrassingly Short legs. Cant reach rudder pedals

We are renting the 172 so probably have to go with the cushion route.
I suspect the farther her feet are away from the Cirrus pedals, the happier she will be.

Rudder pedal extensions...

I was gonna give you big props for finding this -- then I realized it's an EXP plane so you get deducted 100 pilot points, and must wear a white shirt with epaulets on your next burger flight. :yesnod:

If you really want to have some fun, you should change her avatar.

I suspect the farther her feet are away from the Cirrus pedals, the happier she will be.

At this point, I just want to ride in the dang thing!

:mad: *whine* My husband is taking too long to get his Cirrus cert hours in so he can't fly me anywhere! *whine* :mad:

At this point, I just want to ride in the dang thing!

:mad: *whine* My husband is taking too long to get his Cirrus cert hours in so he can't fly me anywhere! *whine* :mad:

I'm just visualizing some large Texan with a thick accent saying "Son, you got some Cirrus issues here now."

I was gonna give you big props for finding this -- then I realized it's an EXP plane so you get deducted 100 pilot points, and must wear a white shirt with epaulets on your next burger flight. :yesnod:
Anyone who goes by the handle Cowboy should have no hesitation coming over to the dark side...come on over, it will be fine.

Anyone who goes by the handle Cowboy should have no hesitation coming over to the dark side...come on over, it will be fine.

I've had a couple of EXP aircraft. No prob there, just that the OP is trying to solve a specific problem with a 172, and I don't think your drain pipe dealo will make it.

hqdefault.jpg

You all are so helpful with this thread, everyone, so let me ask for one other thing:

Did we get anywhere on that hitman thread? Any recommendations? No reason. Just curious.

TIA!
I don't know where in Texas you live but I'm sure you can find someone in Mexico. Can't be too much money

How tall are you? I'm 5'4" and bought a seat cushion to push my back forward when I first got into 172s. I later kept the cushion at home when I got too lazy to bring it out to the plane and figured out techniques that work. I complained once to my instructor that I couldn't reach the pedal flat footed. He then replied, "when are you ever going to need the brakes and rudder at the same time?" That solved that! I still can't reach rudders flat feet in a king air but I've been flying them for 4 years just fine. The pedals can be moved but with 18 other pilots, it's better just to learn to fly it like a 172. Now give me a citation mustang, that thing is a glove! The point is there are many options like seat cushions (I used a mini massage cushion, it's since been donated to the flight school), adjustable rudders, different airplanes, and remembering you only need the balls of your feet to fix your problem. I haven't looked but somewhere like sportys or aircraft spruce might have rudder extensions too.

Hope this helps!
Ps, don't listen to the boys...high heals and rudders are not a good mix! Hiking boots might give you another 1/2-1inch though. :)

Last edited:
How tall are you? I'm 5'4" and bought a seat cushion to push my back forward when I first got into 172s. I later kept the cushion at home when I got too lazy to bring it out to the plane and figured out techniques that work. I complained once to my instructor that I couldn't reach the pedal flat footed. He then replied, "when are you ever going to need the brakes and rudder at the same time?" That solved that! I still can't reach rudders flat feet in a king air but I've been flying them for 4 years just fine. The pedals can be moved but with 18 other pilots, it's better just to learn to fly it like a 172. Now give me a citation mustang, that thing is a glove! The point is there are many options like seat cushions (I used a mini massage cushion, it's since been donated to the flight school), adjustable rudders, different airplanes, and remembering you only need the balls of your feet to fix your problem. I haven't looked but somewhere like sportys or aircraft spruce might have rudder extensions too.

Hope this helps!
Ps, don't listen to the boys...high heals and rudders are not a good mix! Hiking boots might give you another 1/2-1inch though. :)

Thanks for your help. I am 5'2". I am going to try with a seat cushion and perhaps back support thing, though it sounds annoying carrying out stuff every time I take a lesson. I'll get over it though, and at least when we finally get our own plane, I can store them in there.

Going to find something today, as I have lesson 5 scheduled for tomorrow morning. :D

Talk to your doctor about a leg transplant and some Valium.
If he denies there is any such thing as a leg transplant, stand your ground and make a fuss, a really big fuss. Scream and shout if you have to get their attention. Doctors lie about leg transplants because it's part of a secret conspiracy. Only models, beauty pageant contestants, and NBA players are in on the secret. Threaten to go public, confront the medical staff and the people in the waiting room. Let them know about leg transplants!
Don't forget your Valium on the way out.

If he denies there is any such thing as a leg transplant, stand your ground and make a fuss, a really big fuss. Scream and shout if you have to get their attention. Doctors lie about leg transplants because it's part of a secret conspiracy. Only models, beauty pageant contestants, and NBA players are in on the secret. Threaten to go public, confront the medical staff and the people in the waiting room. Let them know about leg transplants!

FINALLY some valuable advice.

If you need pedal extensions, you need pedal extensions, cushions are a poor solution.

I had a glider student years ago who was not only so short that he had to have pillows behind him to reach the rudder pedals, he was also below the minimum weight for the front seat...he had to put a 10kg barbell weight in his seat.

Be glad you don't have that problem! (Oh...wait...pretend I never said that!):yikes:

Just think of it this way Eren, it's easier to make you taller than shorter! The guys at work complain about crawling in the Mustang because of their height and no legroom. Fits me perfect! I think The smaller Lears have the same issue. I remember crawling in a Lear Mari flew and thinking it was small! I bet you have no issues in a 152, skycatcher, and Diamond DA-20. There's airplanes out there for us and if not, we can adjust! My 6ft something boss cannot, lol!

Hope this helps!

I use rudder and brakes while taxiing all the time...:confused::confused::dunno:

Either that or 6PC has a really sick second personality and Eren doesn't really exist.

This is a good question has anyone ever seen Mrs 6PC? Or seen them both at the same time?

Laugh all you want......it happens......

Russian Model Leg Surgery

If you need pedal extensions, you need pedal extensions, cushions are a poor solution.
Cushions are an adequate solution. Used them for years until I flew airplanes with pedals which adjust.

Cushions are an adequate solution. Used them for years until I flew airplanes with pedals which adjust.

You're able to reach the pedals adequately in the 'kota...maybe a PA-28 would be the way for Eren to go?

Just think of it this way Eren, it's easier to make you taller than shorter! The guys at work complain about crawling in the Mustang because of their height and no legroom. Fits me perfect! I think The smaller Lears have the same issue. I remember crawling in a Lear Mari flew and thinking it was small! I bet you have no issues in a 152, skycatcher, and Diamond DA-20. There's airplanes out there for us and if not, we can adjust! My 6ft something boss cannot, lol!
Hey, I resemble that. :)

I agree that the "larger" people complain more often about being uncomfortable.

I trained in a 172 with small female CFI and I remember her using cushions but other than that was one of the best and most capable CFI's I had.

I trained in a 172 with small female CFI and I remember her using cushions but other than that was one of the best and most capable CFI's I had.

how was she in the plane? :D

Back