Why do so many threads seem to turn into ****ing matches?

True.

I was making crawfish étouffée the other day but didn't have shells and fat to make the crawfish stock with. So a did a Google search for "crawfish stock substitute recipes" and ran across a recipe forum where someone asked the same question. The thread went something like.

OP: I'm making étouffée but don't have stock, what can I use to substitute?

Dick1: I've substituted chicken broth and it works well.

Dick2: no REAL cook would ever use chicken stock in a seafood recipe. You're an idiot.

Dick1: hey genius, since when is crawfish seafood? you're the f***ing idiot.

It seriously devolved that quickly and kept escalating from there.

BTW...low sodium chicken broth worked just fine. ;)

This. :yes:

I should post a link to the thread about the bodybuilders forum where they were trying to explain that you cannot work out 4-5 times a week if you work out every other day. That was amusing to say the least.

A lot has to do with the written word versus the spoken word. Many times the choice of words causes misunderstandings, while if the same words are used in verbal communication the reactions of the receiver govern the next sentence.

True. But I have also seen some reading comprehension issues, too. Often a reply will be off base, which then causes the OP to point it out. Then the person posting the off base reply gets defensive. It goes from there.

I don't see ****ing mactches but a lot of people who can't stand to be corrected or given advice. Don't know how many times I've seen people argue with those that have direct experience in the subject matter.

As far as names, I don't think that has anything to do with it. Some are professional pilots on here and prefer to remain anonymous. Unfortunately we live in a world where public posts can get you fired.

Same here, I'm not a professional pilot but I do have a requirement for Internet anonymity. But I wouldn't say anything here that I wouldn't in a face to face conversation, and I don't think I have.

Very true, people are much more abrupt compared to talking in person. I can assure you it happens elsewhere, I post on college/USA wrestling sites and you should see the type A pizzing matches :rofl: There is one site, the Ohio State forum, where they do require real names and that does seem to be more civil.

I've seen it both ways. On a recumbent cycling forum I frequent, the adolescent urination contests by self-appointed (but anonymous) subject matter experts is rampant.
However, those sort of contests are nearly as prevalent on the US Mensa forum, where everyone is identified by their true first & last name, and the only avatars are face-front photographs (one can elect to have no avatar, however). There, the monstrous egos can take center stage, in spite of the lack of anonymity.

I've seen it both ways. On a recumbent cycling forum I frequent, the adolescent urination contests by self-appointed (but anonymous) subject matter experts is rampant.
However, those sort of contests are nearly as prevalent on the US Mensa forum, where everyone is identified by their true first & last name, and the only avatars are face-front photographs (one can elect to have no avatar, however). There, the monstrous egos can take center stage, in spite of the lack of anonymity.

Anybody that would join a Mensa forum has got to be more egotistical than Genghis Khan.

Meh. Tom's known for chumming the waters around here.

The simplest question is all it requires, to some folks any obvious question is trolling, others simply won't bite. Others will answer the question, then the debate is on about who's right, more rite, etc.

I'd never want to see real names required on the Internet. Yeah, people can be dicks, but think about all the funny threads you've read (like that bodybuilder one) where people were trolling and/or went ballistic.

That probably wouldn't happen (or at least not as frequently) if people had to use their real names.

I think it would be a more boring place if real names were required on the 'net. We have "real life" where real names are required. Leave the 'net a Wild West filled with anonymity...I think it's more fun that way.

Anybody that would join a Mensa forum has got to be more egotistical than Genghis Khan.

An unsupportable premise, given your lack of knowledge of those who are members of the online Mensa community, and the uncategorizable level of egotism of Chinghis, the Great Khan (those who are truly familiar with his 13th century dynasty use the traditional Mongolian spelling of his name).
By the way, proper English usage would be to write, "Anybody who would..." and your use of the word "got" in that sentence is redundant. It is a common mistake.
:wink2:

An unsupportable premise, given your lack of knowledge of those who are members of the online Mensa community, and the uncategorizable level of egotism of Chinghis, the Great Khan (those who are truly familiar with his 13th century dynasty use the traditional Mongolian spelling of his name).
By the way, proper English usage would be to write, "Anybody who would..." and your use of the word "got" in that sentence is redundant. It is a common mistake.
Was that an answer, or a example of how to turn a thread into an egocentric ****ing match?

Are there real pizzing matches?
Like, could I go to a local arena and sign up to face off with an opponent or watch a match if I were so inclined?

How does one score points, win, etc?

Is it duration, accuracy, volume, Distance, total coverage?

I think when need to be "right" exceeds the need to respect the others in the group, this happens. It's not everywhere on the internet. You can even see it in a place like reddit where each subgroup has a "flavor" and a certain tolerance for a-holes.

I love ****ing contests, arguing is a fun pastime for which I have a high tolerance. What I can't stand is personal attacks. There is a difference between heated arguments and insults.

If you think it's so bad here, you ought to participate on another hobby forum on which I post. Seems the fans there know more than the people doing the job and they are forever telling the pros they don't know what they're talking about. Gets downright interesting some days.

BTW, my real name is Norman and there is at least one poster here who knows me. I'm not always successful, but I try to leave my ego at the door. Some days, that is impossible because some ass***e has pizzed me badly. :yes: :D

If you think it's so bad here, you ought to participate on another hobby forum on which I post. Seems the fans there know more than the people doing the job and they are forever telling the pros they don't know what they're talking about. Gets downright interesting some days.

Oh, you are on the Dallas Cowboys forum?

duty_calls.png

Most internet forums have this to one degree or the other. This one is on the mild side compared to what I've seen in a lot of other places really.

Some of it is behind the keyboard semi-anonymity. Some of it is the clash of big personalities but I think the above pic is what it really is about. In our day to day lives we all run into problems caused by other people. Suddenly on the internet here are those people and I think we believe that if we just lay into them hard enough they'll change and the world will suddenly be better.

It won't though, because this is the internet and nobody really cares what you think.

I love ****ing contests, arguing is a fun pastime for which I have a high tolerance. What I can't stand is personal attacks. There is a difference between heated arguments and insults.

I walk lock step with this...

Agree with several above about the need/want to be correct, and be shown that one is correct online. I recently found out the hard way on an off-grid forum focused on solar systems. I made the unforgivable blunder of correcting a long time members calculations on solar energy storage and density and backed it up with a couple of links.

Next morning - banned. I didn't use any profanity, and I didn't call him a dipspit or anything, but I was firm in the third post on the subject and advised him that his calcs were the result of an older model of energy conversion that has been widely discredited and is no longer in common use.

duty_calls.png

Most internet forums have this to one degree or the other. This one is on the mild side compared to what I've seen in a lot of other places really.

Some of it is behind the keyboard semi-anonymity. Some of it is the clash of big personalities but I think the above pic is what it really is about. In our day to day lives we all run into problems caused by other people. Suddenly on the internet here are those people and I think we believe that if we just lay into them hard enough they'll change and the world will suddenly be better.

It won't though, because this is the internet and nobody really cares what you think.

I don't think any amount of debate will ever change someone's mind. I think in order for someone to change their mind about something, they need to be personally affected. I was on a forum and there was a guy on there who was the most anti-gun, anti-conservative, super liberal I had come across in a long time. No amount of debate would ever convince him of anything other than what he believed, even when presented with facts and figures that showed he was just plain wrong in some cases.

Then 9/11 happened, and in less than a month, he completely flipped sides. Said the whole nation needed to be armed, that we couldn't sit back and just wait, we had to wipe the entire ME off the map, etc... It was the craziest transformation I ever saw in anyone. And it wasn't just for show. There were some who knew him personally from off the board, and he actually did have a complete 180° in his outlook on everything.

I don't think any amount of debate will ever change someone's mind. I think in order for someone to change their mind about something, they need to be personally affected.

I think that's true. You see it in the knock-down drag-out political arguments the most. I've refined my tactics on that front long ago based on that. I know for example an anti-gun person isn't ever going to turn pro-gun. So, I target my arguments to get them to understand my point of view in hopes that we could figure out enough common ground to come to some kind of arrangement that we'd both be ok with.

You know, as if people on internet forums can actually have any real influence on what laws get written.

The most active posters on internet forums tend to be the people that have the most time and the strongest desire to be heard.

That may or may not map into the set of posters that are the most knowledgeable, polite and amicable.

Short people. Lots and lots of short people.

Hey, I resemble that remark....:rofl:

Actually I believe its like beer goggles, get a bunch of guys together who dont really know each other drink a case (or two) of beer and watch the out come....eerily similar to a message board.:dunno:

Hey, I resemble that remark....:rofl:

Actually I believe its like beer goggles, get a bunch of guys together who dont really know each other drink a case (or two) of beer and watch the out come....eerily similar to a message board.:dunno:

Or just get Lions Packers and Bears fans drinking together.

Like, could I go to a local arena and sign up to face off with an opponent or watch a match if I were so inclined?

Yeah, I have a buddy whose wife is a real jock and she'd kick his ass at almost everything. Racquetball, golf, horseshoes, you name it, she pawned him.

So one day he decided that there's one thing he can beat her at for sure...a pizzing contest.

So they go out in the backyard, which was surrounded by a privacy fence, and he said, "pizzing contest, we're going to see who can pizz highest on this fence."

"Sure," she says, and she drops her shorts, hikes a leg high and makes it up the fence about 34" or so...not bad for a "girl."

He just chucked, dropped his zipper, pulled out his Johnson, and started to aim high.

But...

She says...

"no...no...no"

"No hands!"

:goofy:

Borgata just got approved by the NJ Gaming Commission to hold a free-throw contest for cash prizes (http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/02/16/borgata-approved-to-host-free-throw-contest-for-money/). Its the first contest of skill for money that's been approved by the state. Can a pizzing match be far behind?

You should send Borgata your resume.

I'm not sure myself, but I do know but Big Bill Hell's Cars is the home of Challenge pizzing.

Last edited:

I see what you did there....

An unsupportable premise, given your lack of knowledge of those who are members of the online Mensa community, and the uncategorizable level of egotism of Chinghis, the Khan Khan (those who are truly familiar with his 13th century dynasty use the traditional Mongolian spelling of his name).

If you are going to use the Mongolian, you should use the complete Mongolian, otherwise the complete English is more appropriate. Using the split just shows pretension.

If you are going to use the Mongolian, you should use the complete Mongolian, otherwise the complete English is more appropriate. Using the split just shows pretension.

Not at all. 83% of scholars agree that Chinghis Kahn is the preferred English rendition.

Back