As a jump pilot you had one job..

Wow...the pilot banked into the jumpers. They are incredibly lucky! I hope he shows that to the pilot. Congrats to him for being professional and not freaking out.

This has been an extremely hot topic at DiverDriver.com for the past year or so. The overall community of jump pilots do not condone these type of actions, and neither do the aircraft owners. I would not like to have been on the receiving end of the a$$-chewing that pilot probably got from the TI. The tiny potential for saving fuel and/or money should never compromise safety.

Used to enjoy a little close work with the Porter but contact is too close.

I've never jumped, nor plan to. It seemed like he made a sharp bank right back toward the pilots? Someone tell me how something like that is possible?

A tandem in free fall is coming down over like 5000 FPM for under a minute before the canopy comes out but the plane is also moving at substantial speed away from the jumpers before they do some boneheaded manouver like this.

Not only was it a turn back towards the jumpers but a real kamikaze descent rate.

The comments on the video imply it was a planned manouver. That seems likely given the fact he is pointing at the approaching plane prior to it entering the scene (it seem lost on the girl though ... in fact, I doubt she was aware of just how close it was). Thai registration on that plane.

You
Are
Fired

No excuse.

I hope there were some things settled "behind the hangar", and they have a new bombardier.

Where's the video of him beating the crap out of the pilot?

When a glider releases it goes right, towplane goes left, and as much space is put between the two as quickly as possible. Is there supposed to be some standard procedure when tossing jumpers, too?

Well, the jump guy isn't guilt free in this, he turned them toward the plane showing it to the gal, that's why they closed the gap.

When a glider releases it goes right, towplane goes left, and as much space is put between the two as quickly as possible. Is there supposed to be some standard procedure when tossing jumpers, too?
It is not unheard of for the jump plane(especially Porters) to intentionally buzz the last jumper out. It was close on purpose, contact was an accident. Jumpmaster knew it was coming because they most likely play the same game all day long. Like many things that fly, it is fun until there are tears.

It is not unheard of for the jump plane(especially Porters) to intentionally buzz the last jumper out. It was close on purpose, contact was an accident. Jumpmaster knew it was coming because they most likely play the same game all day long. Like many things that fly, it is fun until there are tears.

Looked like he knew it was coming. He tapped the pax to get her attention and point it out.

Well, the jump guy isn't guilt free in this, he turned them toward the plane showing it to the gal, that's why they closed the gap.

I've never jumped but I just can't imagine developing any significant horizontal speed when in free fall.

:dunno:

What say the peanut gallery?

I've never jumped but I just can't imagine developing any significant horizontal speed when in free fall.

Not with a tandem, they pretty much fall in place. A single jumper with a wingsuit (or camerasuit) can make some headway.

The plane diving down like that is a common stunt. What I used to see was the pilot and cameraman trying to make it look like the plane cut underneath the falling jumpers. The PC-6 is a utility category aircraft, some of the flying done at dropzones (e.g. a 'reverse 1/2 Immelman' type entry into a spiral dive) would definitely qualify as 'aerobatic' in FAA land.

Last edited:
He did steer for the plane... If he didn't understand he had a horizontal component of lift, well he sure as **** knows now.

A tandem in free fall will do very little horizontal tracking. The jumpers have no guilt in this near accident. The pilot needs his certificate pulled.

If the pilot defended straight ahead there is virtually zero chance anyone could impact the plane in flight even if a jumper tried in a full track, aside from a bad wingsuiter exit hitting the tail or something

Shown on the Today Show this morning. Not good publicity for the pilot/dropzone. And potentially damaging to skydiving and flying.

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shown on the Today Show this morning. Not good publicity for the pilot/dropzone. And potentially damaging to skydiving and flying.

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can't damage 'skydiving' in the public image, they already have the lowest image possible.

If the pilot defended straight ahead there is virtually zero chance anyone could impact the plane in flight even if a jumper tried in a full track, aside from a bad wingsuiter exit hitting the tail or something

Agreed. I do a lot of skydive flying in the summer time and that is just reckless.

Back