Guess where the jet stream is

I don't fly high enough for the jet stream. Tell me where the propeller stream is.

While out doing some yard work I looked up to see one of the most curious sights I had ever seen. High above was a long cirrus cloud snaking across the sky. I ran inside to log on the computer to check the aviation weather. Lo, the jet stream was directly over my position. I came back out side and excitedly told neighbor Robert to look at the jet stream. His reaction was blah so I explained it is unusual that the jet is so highly visible. While explaining a bit more, like the wind speed, etc, I watched the cloud slowly undulate like a wave across the sky. It was an impressive sight. It was impossible to generate enthusiasm in him.

Robert's room mate, the aspiring helicopter pilot (22 yrs old w/250 TT, all multiengine turbine but that is another story) came out to ask what was going on. I showed him and he too thought nothing of it. A neighbor walked by, my friend Dan drove up, a few others happened by. Not one of them was very excited. I could not understand how people could be so blasé about the phenomenal weather pattern that allowed the jet to be so visible. I watched for another couple of hours until dusk. Absolutely fascinating.

@Countryair - I feel your pain....

The boundary of the jet is moving eastward across the Front Range today. Yesterday we were north of it and got snow; tomorrow we'll be south of it and temps in the 60's and 70's are forecast for the weekend and into early next week. At dawn you could see a sprawling lenticular cloud over the foothills of the Rockies but it has dissipated a bit now. Looking forward to flying on some warm days this weekend!

I'll play: Running from the FL pan handle to the Delmarva peninsula then just off the New England seaboard? Can't quite visualize how it got that far south, but it must have turned over the Gulf of Mexico, meaning it would be dragging a good bit of moisture with it.

How'd I do?

I never have to worry about THE Jet Stream. It's the low level jet streams that get me. :yikes:

The image was different last night as Ben didn't link to a static image. There was a definite line of precipitation from the tip of Idaho, through Wyoming, Nebraska, towards Cincinnati and then up towards Maine.

Unfortunately when I post this with the link it was VERY prominent ... The current satellite and radar pic does not show it as clearly....

One day I will learn to be able "acquire a loop" as it was....:dunno::dunno:

Back