iPad wifi vs cellular

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
My current iPad is nearly out of memory. I have deleted as many apps as possible and it still isn't enough to download the latest iOS update.
So, I am going to buy a new IPad.
My question is. The only advantage to cellular is that you can get mail etc when not connected to network.

I am thinking. About getting the wifi only and using my iPhone as a hot spot for it.

Any suggestions or cautions I should be thinking about.

I use the iPad for work and email mostly. Foreflight is about 10-15% of my use.
Thanks
Lynn

Yes it's very important.
Guess that's why the cellular is so much more expensive.

Thanks

Save yourself the extra cost... Just get a bad elf GPS unit for your wifi iPad. Or, get a cellular iPad and never connect its data plan. You still get the GPS benefit that way.

TJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cellular if you're using it for aviation.

Yeah, you can get a external GPS, but Id rather just grab one device and go, don't need another point of failure.

Get the cellular version, don't activate it. :D it's a little more upfront, but you can always activate it and it eliminates the need for a separate box in the cockpit. :D My new iPad is a 4G, I got it at Christmas, still haven't activated the data service. :D

My current iPad is nearly out of memory. I have deleted as many apps as possible and it still isn't enough to download the latest iOS update.
So, I am going to buy a new IPad.
My question is. The only advantage to cellular is that you can get mail etc when not connected to network.

I am thinking. About getting the wifi only and using my iPhone as a hot spot for it.

Any suggestions or cautions I should be thinking about.

I use the iPad for work and email mostly. Foreflight is about 10-15% of my use.
Thanks
Lynn

I just went through the same ordeal, ended up with a wifi only iPad Air2 128gb. I had a wifi only iPad2 that was fine as well. You need an external GPS, but those are <$100, if you get a Stratus it has it covered. I have never seen a problem hotspotting from my phone.

Get a T-Mobile iPad. You get 200Mb/month free. Turn cell data off for most apps. I find it is enough for email and a few quick web searches. Or to download a plate or two I forgot.

Most (if not all) android tablets have GPS in their wifi only devices, and they're a few hundred less than the iPad. They have everything you need for flying except ForeFlight, but there are alternatives to it available also.

Just sayin....

For the $100 or so difference, get the cellular. Even if you don't activate the data plan, it's worth it to have the on-board GPS without having to tote around another device that needs charging. I use the built-in mapping function all the time in the car so the built-in GPS is a must. But DON'T activate the data plan....or you'll never, ever want to be without it again. It costs me $10/mo. to have my iPad on my data plan so it's a no-brainer.

Again, it's $100....why wouldn't you buy the more capable device when that's all the more it costs you??

Get a T-Mobile iPad. You get 200Mb/month free. Turn cell data off for most apps. I find it is enough for email and a few quick web searches. Or to download a plate or two I forgot.

:yeahthat:

My current iPad is the Retina Mini 4G with T-Mobile service. I've never purchased data for this one, although I did in the past. I have the 200MB a month to cover me if I'm checking weather or filing a flightplan at the last minute. I can also tether from my Android phone for free if I really need to.

The newer cellular iPads are all interchangeable and unlocked now anyway, so you might as well get the T-mobile one and activate your free lifetime 200MB. It's not like there'd be any downside (like a more limited market when it comes to resale).

External GPS's are another option, but I've never really liked the idea of having another device to keep track of and keep charged. The cellular iPad costs more, but it will also resell for more down the road. The exception would be something like a Stratus that provides substantially more functionality... if that's something you want to buy then the wifi is probably fine.

Cellular if you're using it for aviation.

Yeah, you can get a external GPS, but Id rather just grab one device and go, don't need another point of failure.
This. For about the cost of a bad elf or other external GPS, you can just get the cellular version and then you aren't messing with an extra connection or plug in.

I did the Wi-Fi only version with my first iPad 2 and used a Bad Elf. It was okay, but sometimes the bad elf would take a while to acquire and occasionally I would misplace the bugger.

Based on my experience with the first setup, I went for the cellular version when I upgraded to the ipad Air last month. I just didn't add the cellular plan. Much happier with the current setup and have had no trouble getting a GPS signal with the built in GPS.

This. For about the cost of a bad elf or other external GPS, you can just get the cellular version and then you aren't messing with an extra connection or plug in.

I did the Wi-Fi only version with my first iPad 2 and used a Bad Elf. It was okay, but sometimes the bad elf would take a while to acquire and occasionally I would misplace the bugger.

Based on my experience with the first setup, I went for the cellular version when I upgraded to the ipad Air last month. I just didn't add the cellular plan. Much happier with the current setup and have had no trouble getting a GPS signal with the built in GPS.

I third the recommendation.

My recommendation as well. Cellular is handy to have when you need it. It's not a bad idea to have a different carrier from your smart phone, so if you're in an area that has bad coverage from one provider, you might do better with a device on a different network. That's helped me out a few times, as I have VZ for my iPhone and AT&T for my iPad.

FWIW, whether you go with the LTE model or not, there is no real need to buy new. I bought my iPad for half the price about 1-year-old, couldn't possibly imagine paying full price for it.
Just a thought.

If an accessory ADS-B receiver is in your future the internal GPS will be redundant. I like my cell iPad because I like being connected while out and about but in my plane the iPad with a GDL39 3D is a far better aviation tool than a cell iPad alone, and with the GDL I don't need a cell iPad for GPS. On the other hand, for you lower 48 guys, an iPad with cell service will provide weather info to the app. Maybe you don't need the external receiver if you have adequate cell coverage. In Alaska we don't, thus my ADS-B receiver. Having in-flight weather is a treat.

Last edited:
If you're buying from the apple store its going to be unlocked, be sure its GSM, if you ever leave the states you're screwed if your device can't take a SIM card.

If an accessory ADS-B receiver is in your future the internal GPS will be redundant.
Unless you use Jeppesen for IFR. The various ADS-B units are all very proprietary and I haven't seen one that works with JeppFD yet.

You don't have to buy it from T-Mobile. Any iPad (or tablet) that will work on their network is eligible for the 200Mb/month. You may need to buy a $15 T-Mobile SIM.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9700

Advice here already is what I'd say. I'd only add that when it comes to memory don't go cheap. I'd get as much as you can afford and simply amortize the cost over the life of the machine and it's only a few bucks a week for a 64G machine.

Also, I've been using the mini and love love love the compact size. I can't imagine using a full size ipad now.

I had considered the mini. It would be better for the 172/182/and 150 cockpit.

I am still undecided on the mini vs full size. The GSM is something I know anything about. The only out of country I could see me doing is Bahamas or possibly Canada. Even though I live (under duress) in Houston, Victoria Texas is about as far South as I going in/on any vehicle. :yes:

I will ask about the GSM. I am probably going to get it from Best Buy or the Verizon store. They are selling the Air 2 for the same price as the Air.

I appreciate all the help.
Lynn

If an accessory ADS-B receiver is in your future the internal GPS will be redundant. I like my cell iPad because I like being connected while out and about but in my plane the iPad with a GDL39 3D is a far better aviation tool than a cell iPad alone, and with the GDL I don't need a cell iPad for GPS. On the other hand, for you lower 48 guys, an iPad with cell service will provide weather info to the app. Maybe you don't need the external receiver if you have adequate cell coverage. In Alaska we don't, thus my ADS-B receiver. Having in-flight weather is a treat.

Thing is, the Cell coverage is already there for me in my phone which is always with me when I have my iPad as well, so I just hot spot it for the exact same result as having cell enabled.:dunno:

:yeahthat:

My current iPad is the Retina Mini 4G with T-Mobile service. I've never purchased data for this one, although I did in the past. I have the 200MB a month to cover me if I'm checking weather or filing a flightplan at the last minute. I can also tether from my Android phone for free if I really need to.

The newer cellular iPads are all interchangeable and unlocked now anyway, so you might as well get the T-mobile one and activate your free lifetime 200MB. It's not like there'd be any downside (like a more limited market when it comes to resale).

External GPS's are another option, but I've never really liked the idea of having another device to keep track of and keep charged. The cellular iPad costs more, but it will also resell for more down the road. The exception would be something like a Stratus that provides substantially more functionality... if that's something you want to buy then the wifi is probably fine.

I just purchased on eBay a used iPad mini 2 to run foreflight. Without realizing it, just happened to be a T-Moble 4G LTE. Needless to say I was pretty happy to discover after the fact that I was getting free data every month. The kicker is the iPad looks brand new and cost just about the same as a used one without cell.

For the extra money,I go with the Lte cellular,and wi fi. That way I can usually get all the prplanning done and also file flight plans in remote areas.

I just purchased on eBay a used iPad mini 2 to run foreflight. Without realizing it, just happened to be a T-Moble 4G LTE. Needless to say I was pretty happy to discover after the fact that I was getting free data every month. The kicker is the iPad looks brand new and cost just about the same as a used one without cell.

Free 4G data? Someone is paying for it, and probably doesn't even realize it (such as on a family plan).

I got the cellular version for the GPS. I did buy an external GPS after a couple months. The iPad GPS has issues when flying about 4k AGL. I'm still glad I bought the cellular version...I've forgotten the GPS at home charging once n a while. Now I only charge on top of my flight bag and if I move the flight bag, GPS goes with it....no exceptions.

I got the cellular version for the GPS. I did buy an external GPS after a couple months. The iPad GPS has issues when flying about 4k AGL.

???? I cruise 8-12k MSL (well over 4k AGL) in the Baron and haven't had any issues with the cellular GPS. Even had it up to 13.5 over the Rockies and no issues.

Free 4G data? Someone is paying for it, and probably doesn't even realize it (such as on a family plan).

That's what I initially thought but after doing some research online, discovered that T-Mobile offers 200MB for free to all devises with a T-Mobile sim cards. I know it sounds too good to be true but here is a link to details about the promotion.

The Air 2 doesn't need a separate T mobile sim for the 200mb free data, simply activate it for T-Mobile when you get it.

That's what I initially thought but after doing some research online, discovered that T-Mobile offers 200MB for free to all devises with a T-Mobile sim cards. I know it sounds too good to be true but here is a link to details about the promotion.

I have this from TMobile, and I never even use it. But, its nice to know its there. :)

When I first got it, I had 1gb data for $8.50/month. But, didn't use it and stopped after 6 months. I figure if I go over 200mb, just WiFi hotspot from the phone.

???? I cruise 8-12k MSL (well over 4k AGL) in the Baron and haven't had any issues with the cellular GPS. Even had it up to 13.5 over the Rockies and no issues.

Swap iPads with me? Have you ever had to restart your iPad mid flight? It took a while to get GPS back.

I used an iPad 2 WiFi with first a plug in BadElf GPS and then a Dual bluetooth GPS. Both worked just fine except the BadElf would get knocked out of the iPad occasionally. (I have no mount since I use club aircraft.)

I got a new iPad Mini-retina cell enabled (Verizon) and now use that with it's internal GPS. I got the mini to eventually use with a yoke mount. I had no issues with the GPS in my limited experiences flying around central Florida. I do not have the data enabled currently.

One thing I have noticed is the smaller border on the iPad mini means I touch the screen often just handling the unit in the plane. This changes display modes and turns things on or off inadvertently. This did not happen nearly as much with the iPad 2 and it's larger borders. If you have a mount I don't think it would be an issue.

John

Unless you have registered it on the ATT network, which will lock the SIM to ATT. To use with T-mobile, you would need to get a new SIM.

Or if you bought one with a Verizon SIM, which would also need to be swapped out as well.

The Air 2 doesn't need a separate T mobile sim for the 200mb free data, simply activate it for T-Mobile when you get it.

Unless you have registered it on the ATT network, which will lock the SIM to ATT. To use with T-mobile, you would need to get a new SIM.

Or if you bought one with a Verizon SIM, which would also need to be swapped out as well.

Is the same true for non-air models?
I have a 3rd generation iPad with LTE and it is activated for At&T. I am tired of ATA&T's pi**-poor service so I would like to take advantage of T-mobile's offer. Can I simply insert a T-mobile SIM card and be switched to a new provider?

Back