Advice: flying Salt Lake to Denver

woodchucker

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
woodchucker
Day VFR, leaving next Friday and returning Sunday (if the weather holds). This will only be my second "long" excursion away from home base since getting my PPL. The first was solo to Boise, and pretty much a no-brainer of a flight. This one my wife is coming along, and it's only the second time she will have been up. It's an anniversary excursion for us. We will be catching the Avs game on Friday night and then the snow sculptures in Breckenridge on Saturday.

Anyways, any thoughts or tips? I'm already planning on a northerly route through WY, and then dropping down the east side of the range from the north, perhaps parking the plane at Rocky Mountain Regional (KBJC). Any advice is more than welcome, from flight path to airport choice, to just driving the 8 hours and saving my marriage. :lol:

Following I-80 to LAR then turn toward the Denver area is good. Do not fly immediately downwind of Elk Mountain (west of LAR). Expect bumps northwest of Ft. Collins.

If it's anything other than severe clear, drive. If the winds aloft are high, go high or drive. When you have more experience you can find your way through some weather but don't learn with wife aboard.

The I-70 to Corona route may be viable but I've never had much luck with Corona pass in anything but good weather. You can do I-70 to Hayden to Walden to Ft Collins. That route is sort of a last resort. I've had to land in Walden to wait out weather.

Winter here can be easy or tough or impossible. Don't think for a second that you have to be there. If you have to be there, drive or take the airlines.

BJC is good, cheap self-serve. If you want somebody to call to check Denver weather right now, PM me and I'll send you my cell number. I've called for in person observation and it has helped me in the past.

Last edited:
Thank you Throttle! For now, I will monitor the weather, and closer to Monday or Tuesday start finalizing one way or another. I am assuming you are a Denver local? I will definitely pm you early next week on the weather there. I would love to fly, but I know the mantra. I would rather drive and wish I was flying, rather than fly and wish I was driving!

One thing... concerning winds aloft and WY and CO wx. What might you consider "too high"?

Yup, I'm in Denver.

As far as winds go, the rule of thumb is winds above 30 kts at 12,000 makes it a no go for single engine piston aircraft. Some people even say 20 kts is a limit. It takes awhile to figure your own limit. I've seen up and down drafts in excess of 1,000 fpm so keep that in mind.

I'll help all I can. Winter weather can be tricky.

Okay, perfect. I appreciate that a lot. I'll be having some beers on Friday night after the game (whether drive or fly). I would be happy to buy one or a few.

I have no experience with flying in your part of the country, but it sounds like you have a lot of plans for this trip. I'd just say don't let those plans impact your decision to fly, or your decision to fly at certain times.

Like others have said, drive if you're not certain of the weather, airplane or self.

Hi Woodchucker, another Denver guy here. Throttle's advice is spot on, and your decision on routing across southern Wyoming is, too.

If you indeed fly, have a safe flight!

Up to Ogden, through the pass to Morgan County, pick up I-80 and follow it to Cheyenne, then hang a right down to Denver.

In GENERAL (with major exceptions) the winds are lighter in the very early morning. But like others have said, if you ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY need to be in Denver at a specific time, either drive or take the blowtorch.

Jim

Thanks for the input all! I really don't have any intention of flying if the weather is looking to be a factor. If I do fly and things go south weather-wise I am fully prepared to put my wife, or myself as well, on commercial for the trip back. And Jim, I already am set to depart in the morning on each end. Probably around 9 am.

I need to make a go/nogo decision by Wednesday, so I may be bugging you Denver locals on your opinion of the weather at that time.

Others have covered the route. WX wise, looks like you hit the jackpot. Big high pressure setting up and record highs expected around Monday. At least 20F above normal. Should be a nice flight assuming the forecast from the TV weather guys matches the real ones. Heh.

Others have covered the route. WX wise, looks like you hit the jackpot. Big high pressure setting up and record highs expected around Monday. At least 20F above normal. Should be a nice flight assuming the forecast from the TV weather guys matches the real ones. Heh.

I should then be expecting a major arctic front colliding with a super-typhoon straight from the south pacific, right over the rocky mountains? :rofl:

I should then be expecting a major arctic front colliding with a super-typhoon straight from the south pacific, right over the rocky mountains? :rofl:

:lol::lol::lol:.......:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:.

Welcome to the Rocky Mountains......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I hope Nate is right, we have been below zero for the last 4 nights... I am ready for some beach weather up here in Jackson Hole.........;)

Ben, you are next on my list. I've been eying JH for some time as a flying destination. Best skiing outside of Utah in my opinion. Just so freaking cold up there.... brrrrrrrrrr.

:lol::lol::lol:.......:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:.

Welcome to the Rocky Mountains......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I hope Nate is right, we have been below zero for the last 4 nights... I am ready for some beach weather up here in Jackson Hole.........;)

I wouldn't lie to ya, Ben. 24 hour 18z outlook... Looks like the usual trough will set up on my side of the Front Range... But that map is the classic winter "let's go flying" map of it holds.

Last week my co-worker had to bail out of the mountain wave at 17K over Boulder... and it was cold as heck.

Can't please ALL of the pilots all of the time. Heh. He got a 1500 fpm upper on final from the downslope bouncing right at the airport. He was grinning all week.

1a8ecb3b8a13159f6bcc46c545dc8372.jpg

I wouldn't lie to ya, Ben. 24 hour 18z outlook... Looks like the usual trough will set up on my side of the Front Range... But that map is the classic winter "let's go flying" map of it holds.

Last week my co-worker had to bail out of the mountain wave at 17K over Boulder... and it was cold as heck.

Can't please ALL of the pilots all of the time. Heh. He got a 1500 fpm upper on final from the downslope bouncing right at the airport. He was grinning all week.

1a8ecb3b8a13159f6bcc46c545dc8372.jpg

Yup... I am liking what I see.... Temps have gone from -5f to +8f here in the last couple of hours... High pressure dome is coming in from the west and should park over this area early next week... It would be our usual January thaw...:):):)..

http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hurricane/PacificSatellite.aspx?animate=true

Last edited:
Now that it's been a few days, any thoughts on a Friday arrival and Sunday departure? I've looked at a few sources, and it doesn't look too shabby.

Last edited:
Now that it's been a few days, and thoughts on a Friday arrival and Sunday departure? I've looked at a few sources, and it doesn't look too shabby.

The model runs have changed a bit from this morning. I agree that right now it looks pretty good.

I'm using the NDFD forecast map presented by Weather Underground. I've been using that site for years so I believe I can relate the graphics to what the weather will be. It's usually a bit pessimistic for mountain weather and the timing is always a little off. Anyway, check again tomorrow to see what the changes might be.

The model runs have changed a bit from this morning. I agree that right now it looks pretty good.

I'm using the NDFD forecast map presented by Weather Underground. I've been using that site for years so I believe I can relate the graphics to what the weather will be. It's usually a bit pessimistic for mountain weather and the timing is always a little off. Anyway, check again tomorrow to see what the changes might be.

I respectfully disagree....

Friday is just two days away... Pacific satellite loops show some crap coming in... To me, the timing looks like a Friday hit and lingering for the weekend......

I hope I am wrong for the OP's sake...:redface:

I respectfully disagree....

Friday is just two days away... Pacific satellite loops show some crap coming in... To me, the timing looks like a Friday hit and lingering for the weekend......

I hope I am wrong for the OP's sake...:redface:

Naw, that northern stuff is going to blow right through - there's a low projected to move across Arizona and New Mexico that might be a problem Friday. The moisture is predicted to make it to the Colorado-Wyoming state line but not much further. Right now it looks like I-80 should be fine.

What are you flying? I fly from Ogden to the Denver area about 6 times a year and have for at least the past six years. First in a DA40 and now in an SR22T. I almost always fly the I-80 V6 route mentioned above with one modification. If it's VFR, I go from the Cherokee VOR (CKW) over Saratoga (KSAA) and then to the BARGR intersection. The reason I do this is because Elk Mountain is a mean ***** that creates both weather and miserable turbulence. My little shortcut cuts behind it and avoids a lot of misery. I only do this VFR because you can stay relatively low if you can fly between the mountains. IMC I like the low terrain and civilization of V6. Lastly keep in mind that every cloud in the Rockies this time of year has ice.

V6. That's the original airmail route, isn't it? Seems like a solid choice.

What are you flying? I fly from Ogden to the Denver area about 6 times a year and have for at least the past six years. First in a DA40 and now in an SR22T. I almost always fly the I-80 V6 route mentioned above with one modification. If it's VFR, I go from the Cherokee VOR (CKW) over Saratoga (KSAA) and then to the BARGR intersection.

That was actually pretty close to my original flight plan. How is ff in that area between KSAA and BARGR? If you stay lowish can they still pick you up?

I'm flying a 172 out of Bountiful (VFR only).

Decision deadline is noon on Thursday. I'll be back in 24 hours for an update of opinions from the Colorado folk then. Thank you for the feedback so far.

So it is looking more and more like "overcast" for Friday in Denver? What would that mean regarding cloud level? Or impossible to really say?

Changed departure to 1 pm Thursday (tomorrow). Either fly or drive. Weather seems a tad bit more hopeful than Friday.

If you can postpone your trip until next week, I can fly you there in my Cirrus. Never had an issue with FF but even in my DA40 I'd be at least 11,000 feet.

We already have the hockey tickets and such paid for, but thanks for the offer! I'm a teacher so have a ton of time in the summer. If you ever want company on one of those trips let me know. I've never flown in anything but a 172.

Changed departure to 1 pm Thursday (tomorrow). Either fly or drive. Weather seems a tad bit more hopeful than Friday.

Prolly a good move. Both Rawlins and Laramie have crew cars if needed. If you decide to turn south towards Saratoga at Rawlins, do not turn east again until well south of Saratoga. The Saratoga valley can be a good route but be south of the high terrain of the Snowy Mountains before heading east - you can fly south to the powerline that is just about on the state line and then follow the powerline east to I-25 if you have to. Walden can be an out. I frequently take the Saratoga valley route unless mountain weather looks bad. If turning south looks bad stay north of I-80 until Laramie. Going east to Cheyenne usually isn't necessary and the valley run past Laramie to Fort Collins is a good route.

Okay Throttle, once again thank you! Looking at TAFs for all of the weather reporting airports along the route it looks good for Thursday afternoon. My preference is morning flying, but I think this may work. I have the Saratoga Valley route already planned... but if it feels sketchy I will stay well north.

We'll be off around 1330 or so... 5552E

Edit: was looking for a ferry pilot for a trip thru this area, never mind, pilot found

Last edited:
didja make it? flightaware no bueno

Haven't heard of any searches started yet. Haha. Maybe that's not funny. Dunno yet.

Haven't heard of any searches started yet. Haha. Maybe that's not funny. Dunno yet.

Search might be out of SLC - low ceilings & ice EVW to RKS if he went the northern route. Central Colorado looked clear.

If he did fly, he couldn't of picked a better day. We were snowmobiling in the Snowy's all day, it was calm and bluebird all day long. One of those days I like to fly over the top of Medicine Bow Peak from the west and let the terrain drop out from under me.:D

Back