What is this for (hangar door base)

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Was visiting a CFI this weekend and his hanger has this "scaffolding" type structure on the base of the hangar door. I asked him what it was there for.

He said "I am not sure but when we get an ice storm, it does a good job of freezing the hangar door to the ground"

What is the purpose of that?

attachment.php

Attachments

• hangar1.jpg
    hangar1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 201
What is, keeps the door from bowing?

Its designed to freeze the hangar door to the ground for added security. Also helps keep pilots from flying into known icing.

It gives the door rigidity (stiffness) although I'm not sure that I should tell you that with your writing style! It keeps the hangar door from sagging when open and because it's on the outside you don't lose any clearance in the opening when the door is open.
I can see how it could cause problems with ice buildup but we don't normally have that issue here in Miami!

Because the door panel edge isn't rigid enough to remain straight when in a horizontal (up) position. If the panel sags it's width is reduced and that's a problem.

Last edited:
They put it together wrong. On a bifold door, that will hang down and reduce the opening height. I used to be in a hangar that had one if these on the inside of the door, and when open it faced up towards the top half of the door.

Structural support as stated. High winds can do a number on large doors once they start flexing with gusts.

Like others have said, it's a truss that supports the door when it is open.

Looks like an incorrectly installed cross brace lattice. nice...

Maybe it's not a bifold but a single panel hydraulic swinging door.

This door is 1 piece like an old school garage door where it rotates up as 1 single piece up into the roof.

In the event of an ice storm, it's designed to basically 'weld' the door to the ground, thus keeping the plane inside, and the pilot safely on the ground to prevent him/her from aviating in ice conditions.

Bazinga

In the event of an ice storm, it's designed to basically 'weld' the door to the ground, thus keeping the plane inside, and the pilot safely on the ground to prevent him/her from aviating in ice conditions.

Bazinga

This kind of hits close to home :mad2:

Sometimes the ice storm happens while you're away. Then when you return after the ice storm late at night looking forward to putting your plane away and retrieving your car from inside the hangar, you find out that you will not, in fact, be doing any such thing because the door is welded to the ground. You also realize that you cannot just leave the plane in front of the hangar because then you would be obstructing the way for other hangars. So you have to restart and taxi back to an overpriced FBO to pay an overnight fee and then pay for a taxi to take you home.

Also, if you are especially lucky, you will fall on the ice while trying to open the door. :redface:

This kind of hits close to home :mad2:

Sometimes the ice storm happens while you're away. Then when you return after the ice storm late at night looking forward to putting your plane away and retrieving your car from inside the hangar, you find out that you will not, in fact, be doing any such thing because the door is welded to the ground. You also realize that you cannot just leave the plane in front of the hangar because then you would be obstructing the way for other hangars. So you have to restart and taxi back to an overpriced FBO to pay an overnight fee and then pay for a taxi to take you home.

Also, if you are especially lucky, you will fall on the ice while trying to open the door. :redface:

The bright side is you don't have to try to push or tug your plane into the hangar on the impossibly slick surface...

I got that joy one night after the snowplow driver/hangar mogul decided it was a nice warm day and he should spread the snow windrow to speed up the melting. It left the area in front of the hangar as slick as a skating rink after it froze in the evening. I had to use a tie down strap attached to the tail to pull the plane into the hangar instead of pushing from the front as I normally do. I didn't have help to steer so would pull a bit then go turn the nose wheel, pull a bit then go turn the nose wheel. I never have the given the owner hell for his boneheaded move. Some day I'll be able to be calm when telling him about it...

So you have to restart and taxi back to an overpriced FBO to pay an overnight fee and then pay for a taxi to take you home.

I wouldn't think you would have to pay the fbo in that case especially if they manage the hangars.

I wouldn't think you would have to pay the fbo in that case especially if they manage the hangars.

The FBO's on my field are busy and expensive and unfortunately don't manage my hangar.

Adds Rigidity to the door, mostly so it doesn't flap in the wind when open.

It's to scrape the mud off your boots before walking in.

C'mon...Its something to hang onto when your buddy opens the door from the inside, like a jungle gym with a power button...:goofy:

At least that's what I would do....

Back