When NOT to read back ATC

When tower calls and says... "No need to respond...." and then they give you some information.

How about wake cautions?

Here are my simplified rules for read back to ATC.

If they ask me to do something I read it back.
If they say "Cleared" I say "Cleared"
If they just give me information then I just acknowledge I heard them.

When they mix information and instructions, read back only the instructions.

Brian

I had an instructor who was very minimalist on radio usage. He wanted every instruction that that was not a clearance to be acknowledged only by tail number, and only readback on a clearance or other instruction requiring read back like a hold short.

"Podunk Ground to 123AB, taxi to runway 5 via juliette, echo, alpha, hold short runway 13" would be read back as:

"Taxi to five, hold short one three, 123AB."

When tower calls and says... "No need to respond...." and then they give you some information.

How about wake cautions?

Depends on the situation. If ATC instructs you "no need to respond" then don't. Take GCA for instance. "Do not acknowledge further transmissions." They don't want you to respond because it ties up the freq. If GCA wants you to respond to a transmission after that, then they'll tell you. Example: "N12345, tower directs abandon approach to the right, turn right heading 270 climb and maintain 1,500. acknowledge." Or "N12345, traffic you're following is a Cherokee on left base, wind 120 @ 5, runway 23 cleared to land number two. Acknowledge."

Last edited:
Here it is off a king study guide, not looking up the rest right now :D

image.jpg
Oh, well if Martha says it....I'm just gonna ignore that suggestion....

I read back the whole ATIS on the Tower freq, just incase someone missed the taxiway closure notices.

When I check in with approach or cetner I'll usually read back te altimeter just for my sake of remembering it

I do too and I've always chalked that up to establishing definitive two-way comm with the new controller.

Back