ACF50 or Corrosion X

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Wondering who fogs their airframe and if they use Corrosion X or ACF 50? Is there much of a difference?

I did a Corrosion X treatment to a float plane I owned about 20 years ago. It was a mess. It wept goo for a year and collected every flake of dirt and dust and every insect that came close. Inside the wings had a matrix of crusted goo and spider webs that I'm sure are still stuck to that plane today. I swore then that I'd never do it again and I've stayed true to my word. If you operate floats on salt? I'd find the nuisance worthwhile for the benefit. For fresh water and wheel ops? Not me. I have no hesitation to use it for spot treatment, though, and not just on airplanes.

I've heard mechanics question whether the treatment acts as a lubricant at sheet metal seams. I've heard lots of reasons for and against that argument but I've never made up my own mind about it. One more thing to consider.

Last edited:
I did corrosion X on two of my planes,once you get used to the weeping of the product,at the joints,seems to work fine. Just carry a rag with you.

I live near salt water in warm climates, and have used both. I don't see a big difference between the two. Yes they are a mess and I wouldn't use it in the two years before I planned to paint, but I wouldn't go without it anymore either living around here.

I had my C-X'd. I never noticed what people were griping about with the weeping until I looked real close. There are advantages of having a dark colored paint job.

I did a Corrosion X treatment to a float plane I owned about 20 years ago. It was a mess. It wept goo for a year and collected every flake of dirt and dust and every insect that came close. Inside the wings had a matrix of crusted goo and spider webs that I'm sure are still stuck to that plane today.
For what its worth, ACF50 does the same thing.

If applied correctly, the weeping should be very minimal. The trick is getting the fog just right. Notice I said fog, not spray. If you are spraying, you're using way too much product and it will certainly make a mess.

If applied correctly, the weeping should be very minimal. The trick is getting the fog just right. Notice I said fog, not spray. If you are spraying, you're using way too much product and it will certainly make a mess.

I like the lap joints to be saturated at least the first time I apply it on my own airframe. Compared to repairing a corroded lap, some wasted material is nothing of an expense. Does it make a mess for a while? Yep, no worries, it comes right off when I wax with Collenite Insulator Wax. After that a nice light fog is all it takes because the joints stay protected for a long time. Maybe a good soak every 10-15 years. About 6 months after a fresh paint job should last the life of a paint job, then a fog every 3-5 years in between depending on conditions is enough to handle even tropical island usage. A seaplane operating on salt water I would give it a good dose every annual.

ACF50. But it can be embarrassing, when you want to show off your new (to you) '63 Cherokee to your Dad. While sitting next to his pristene '59 182. And your Cherokee just came out of annual, and is weeping goo from every orifice. But Hey!! It (my Cherokee) was on floats for a while. :D

Back